Most egregiuos calls against the Huskers

Let me start this with the famous 82 Penn St game. On Sept. 25, 1982, Huskers quarterback Turner Gill erased a two-touchdown deficit in the fourth quarter to give his team a 24-21 lead with 1:18 left in the game.

Lions quarterback Todd Blackledge took the field, needing 65 yards. After leading the Lions inside the Huskers’ 20-yard line with 13 seconds left, Blackledge found a wide open Mike McCloskey streaking towards the sidelines. Blackledge tossed the ball in McCloskey’s direction, but the pass led McCloskey out of bounds, where he caught the ball.

That is, according to everyone except the official responsible with the call. The official ruled McCloskey caught it in bounds and stepped out at the 2-yard line with nine seconds remaining. The Lions would finish off the drive with a touchdown and a 27-24 win.

Nearly two decades after McCloskey’s greatest non-catch of his career, he admitted he was out of bounds.

The Lions (and officials) would cost the Huskers and Osborne a chance to win the national championship.

Let me start this with the famous 82 Penn St game. On Sept. 25, 1982, Huskers quarterback Turner Gill erased a two-touchdown deficit in the fourth quarter to give his team a 24-21 lead with 1:18 left in the game.

Lions quarterback Todd Blackledge took the field, needing 65 yards. After leading the Lions inside the Huskers’ 20-yard line with 13 seconds left, Blackledge found a wide open Mike McCloskey streaking towards the sidelines. Blackledge tossed the ball in McCloskey’s direction, but the pass led McCloskey out of bounds, where he caught the ball.

That is, according to everyone except the official responsible with the call. The official ruled McCloskey caught it in bounds and stepped out at the 2-yard line with nine seconds remaining. The Lions would finish off the drive with a touchdown and a 27-24 win.

Nearly two decades after McCloskey’s greatest non-catch of his career, he admitted he was out of bounds.

The Lions (and officials) would cost the Huskers and Osborne a chance to win the national championship.

Agree 100% with '82 Penn State. I was only 12 at the time and I remember it clearly, it came to my mind the second I read this question. Perhaps the Texas game is a close second because in the days of instant replay it seems like the refs got to pick what they wanted to do in the very close call. Of course instant replay would have overturned the call in '82.

Two in the same game 1994 Orange Bowl vs. Florida State.

Corey Dixon's 71 yard touchdown called back on a phantom push in the back which video evidence concluded never happened.

William Floyd's fumble at the Nebraska 1 yard line recovered by Nebraska in the endzone for what should have been a touchback instead ruled a touchdown.

Both of these turned what should have been a 23 - 11 Nebraska Victory into an 18-16 Nebraska loss. Propelling Florida State to an un earned National Championship, an elite status 6 years before their time.

Now this is a situation that was clearly caused by an evil intending time traveler, who went back in time and killed a butterfly at precisely the right time and caused a ripple in time and bunged up the space time continuem.. Yep... :nutz

Two in the same game 1994 Orange Bowl vs. Florida State.

Corey Dixon's 71 yard touchdown called back on a phantom push in the back which video evidence concluded never happened.

William Floyd's fumble at the Nebraska 1 yard line recovered by Nebraska in the endzone for what should have been a touchback instead ruled a touchdown.

Both of these turned what should have been a 23 - 11 Nebraska Victory into an 18-16 Nebraska loss. Propelling Florida State to an un earned National Championship, an elite status 6 years before their time.

Now this is a situation that was clearly caused by an evil intending time traveler, who went back in time and killed a butterfly at precisely the right time and caused a ripple in time and bunged up the space time continuem.. Yep... :nutz

those were the first two that came to my mind. Floyd's fumble is similar to the penn state "catch" in that he has pretty much admitted it should have been a fumble.

08' Va Tech game.

With Tech leading 28-23 and facing a third-and-four at the NU 37 with four minutes left, Taylor could gain only two yards before being forced out of bounds at the 35. Suh, in hot pursuit, was already airborne as Taylor went out of bounds, and he hit Taylor with his hand as they landed. It was incidental contact, but someone threw a flag, and Pelini erupted on the sideline.

Instead of Tech being faced with a field goal attempt of about 52 yards, they had the ball first and 10 on the Husker 11-yard line after the penalty for the personal foul was stepped off and an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Pelini was tacked on. Taylor scored three plays later to increase the Hokies’ lead to 12, and the gap was too much for the Huskers to overcome, although they battled to the end and scored on a Ganz-to-Todd Peterson touchdown pass with 1:32 left.

Suh’s momentum carried him into the runner out of bounds and it looked like the officials let the Tech players make the call. Without that call, it’s 4th down and they’re forced to kick a field goal. I was glad to see Bo get all angry and animated about the call, even if he drew the flag. It’s gotta be good for the team to see some fire for once. They kept fighting, for sure.

Sometimes we get bad calls. Sometimes we get gifts. I guess is all balances out in the end.

But that 1994 OB against Fla State for the MNC——it didn’t seem to balance out for us. We had over 100 yds in penalties in that championship game. Two particularly egregious calls come to mind:

The *highly* suspect late hit 15 yard call against Barron Miles which helped put FSU in position to kick the winning field goal with less than a minute to go. This call may have cost us the trophy.

The phantom clipping penalty on Corey Dixon’s 71 yd punt return TD in the first quarter.

It had no impact on the outcome of the game but a call that made me madder than any other was last year against Baylor when Suh got a penalty for "slamming the QB". It was just like they thought he tackled too hard or something...they claimed it was after the whistle but you can clearly hear the whistle the instant the qb hits the ground....no way Suh could have stopped. Oh well :throwdabones1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcB-z9zqNw

It had no impact on the outcome of the game but a call that made me madder than any other was last year against Baylor when Suh got a penalty for "slamming the QB". It was just like they thought he tackled too hard or something...they claimed it was after the whistle but you can clearly hear the whistle the instant the qb hits the ground....no way Suh could have stopped. Oh well :throwdabones1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcB-z9zqNw

One of my favorite lines from an announcer ever came from that play, "This is tackle football, isn't it?"

Sometimes we get bad calls. Sometimes we get gifts. I guess is all balances out in the end.

But that 1994 OB against Fla State for the MNC——it didn’t seem to balance out for us. We had over 100 yds in penalties in that championship game. Two particularly egregious calls come to mind:

The *highly* suspect late hit 15 yard call against Barron Miles which helped put FSU in position to kick the winning field goal with less than a minute to go. This call may have cost us the trophy.

The phantom clipping penalty on Corey Dixon’s 71 yd punt return TD in the first quarter.

I might get reamed for this but IMHO FSU was the better team that night. Yes - the plays mentioned above were bad calls and maybe the Skers should have won...but I still think FSU was the better team. Don't kill me Huskerboard!!! :dumdum

I might get reamed for this but IMHO FSU was the better team that night. Yes - the plays mentioned above were bad calls and maybe the Skers should have won...but I still think FSU was the better team. Don't kill me Huskerboard!!! :dumdum

Don't worry this isn't Shaggybevo or Orangebloods where they eat their own over there. You can have an opinion and not get slammed for it.

Don't worry this isn't Shaggybevo or Orangebloods where they eat their own over there. You can have an opinion and not get slammed for it.

Hard to say whether NU or FSU was the better team. But if those two bad calls had gone the other way NU would have another trophy in the trophy case. Probably.