QB Race

On the note of coachs playing the best QB because their jobs are on the line. How much does yesterday's depth chart of 1 Mart 2 Green have to do with the direction Bo wants to take the offense? He has mentioned needing the depth when the QB is a running threat. Add the recruiting of speed backs Heard and Green.

Rich Rod spread. How do you like that?

I remember reading a few years ago Bo was a pretty big fan of Florida's type of offense. They have a lot of spread elements and run almost primarily out of the shotgun, but they have a very powerful/rugged way of running the football.

All im gonna say is the zone read will not work against alot of teams that have a pulse. How many times did we run that play??? 8 times???

Yes, of course. Florida and Texas didn't win MNCs with a Zone read offense...

Exactly. You can use it extremely effectively if you have the talent to supplement it. You also need an extremely athletic quarterback, something both Texas and Florida had in Young and Tebow respectively. Martinez seems to have the speed potential to play like those guys on the ground, which is why I'm excited to see him against some better defenses to see what he can do.

The said, we also need whoever the quarterback is to throw the ball well, because our offense isn't built to run the football as drastically as we did last year. If we do have to revert to that, we'll have low offensive output like we did last year.

It's pretty simple, the job belongs to T-Magic until something goes wrong, bad play, in jury whatever. If TM doesn't mess up the job is his if he struggles and we need a change and Cody comes in an rallies the team, then this will get interesting or should I say more interesting real fast. I don't think it has to happen before the Washington game, remember Turner Gill and Tommie Frazier didn't take over the starting job until we were in Big 8 play and Bo is not going to stay with someone who only proved himself against WKU and Idaho if things don't keep going well, he has options, which we should all be thankful for.

Anyone who thinks Lee will be starting anytime soon doesn't realize the extent of the "dis" that was thrown in his face last night.

Think about it-he didn't see the field until garbage time. Barring injuries, he's going to have a butt full of splinters

Dude, Change your avatar or go post on the Mizzou boards

Here's Watson's comments from the OWH, unless he was misquoted, Zac Lee might as well run the scout team the rest of the year.

http://omaha.com/article/20100904/BIGRED/709049737/-1#chatelain-nu-adds-blistering-fast-human-element-to-its-playbook

The head coach and offensive coordinator met Monday in the football offices, Watson said.

“He looked at me and says, ‘Your call, man.'”

It wasn't much of a decision, Watson said. Every coach in the building agreed.

During fall camp, Martinez, Cody Green and Zac Lee had split snaps evenly. Watson kept an extensive record of their performances. He graded them every way he could. It was “very, very, very close.”

But Martinez had what Watson called a “separating factor.” One thing a coach can't coach: speed.

“We all see it,” Watson said. “It's really obvious in practice. You're an inch wrong, you're in trouble. He'll hurt you.”

Watson didn't even proclaim Martinez his starting quarterback. He indicated only that he'll use Martinez and Green going forward.

Wonder how long it's going to take the Lee posse to just GET OVER IT.

Trust me, it'll be a more enjoyable season the sooner you do.

Are the points we're trying to bring up seriously flying that far over your head?

Take a deep breath, take a step back, and then think this

"An unproven redshirt freshman starting over the now #3 senior QB who played hurt all last season and was still better than Green? Hmm, that's weird"

If TMart really is that much better then Green or Lee, then fine, whatever. Obviously we all want the best players on the field. No one is saying he's entitled to the position, and competition blablablabl, it's just that something about this just doesn't seem right.

Half this board seriously seems to be deliberately misunderstanding what we're talking about, and it's getting ridiculous

It's not that we don't understand the points you're making, it's that there's nothing to back it up. You guys are just reality shopping (i.e. you don't like the reality you've been presented with, so you find a way to rationalize around it).