QB Race

Regardless, the Huskers are better in the qb department then what we were last season. All 3 qb's are better and that is the main point. If you aren't happy with that then go back 1 year! I'm betting we will need them all just as we did 3 rb's last year. I call em Speedy Martinez, Still Green, and Sack Lee! Lets just enjoy the fact that we have 3 capable qb's at the moment. I'm sure KU, KSU or CU would like one of them!

Sorry, I thought we played the worst team in college football with the longest losing record. I did not know our QB's played a team with a pulse to be graded on.

This game and effort means absolutely nothing. Nothing to plan on or build on, a waste of time as a game other than money for Nebraska. Nothing to be told from it nothing to learn from.

Nice play by Martinez, I guess Green and Lee got hosed.

We may not know what we have until we hit conference play.

The big ten will make us grow balls and play someone next year. I hate these games.

Glad we won and the kids had fun. I watched the entire game, but saw nothing that makes me think we are on par with the top teams in the country as of yet.

Get over it. Beat someone and then try to figure where we are.

MNC, Hypsman from that game is a joke not even worth repeating.

• Fire 1

Holy thread merge, batman....

Regarding the reality shopping comment, I'll lay out how I see it. Two possibilities:

1) Lee is really just a poor QB who had a lousy camp. In this case, it didn't take very much for Martinez to surpass him, as well as Green, since it's clear that both did.

2) Lee is the good, senior leader, consistent QB who improved on what we saw in the Holiday Bowl. Martinez is just that superstar that surpassed him. Green is another superstar who surpassed him. Martinez is ahead of Green.

3) Martinez beat out Green; Lee was not part of the conversation for whatever reason: he doesn't fit the style we run; coaches don't want to build the team around him; etc; etc.

I am going with 3 on the basis that we've heard Lee did not have a lousy camp at all. You can call this hearsay, but at the same time we rely on this kind of hearsay all the time to hear about who has a good camp or not. For example, you could say reports about that one killer scrimmage Martinez has was also hearsay, as well as reports about ones where he threw a ton of interceptions. Also in the same category I'd say, would be reports that Thenarse was making waves towards the end of camp (he got the start over PJ and West), that Cotton was really showing stuff at TE, etc, etc.

The reports on Zac Lee would have to be completely off base for 1 to be the case. That leads me to 3, but it does not necessarily mean that Zac was screwed out a job. There are legit reasons why Zac, despite having a lot of talent, could find himself third. The style of offense could be one he's not suited to run. He could be not getting along well with his teammates and not being the leader he needs to be. Or he could be viewed as soft by his coaches. Now we are getting more into "believe what you want to believe" territory.

By the way, none of these scenarios said anything about the relative separation of Martinez and Green, except that Martinez was ahead of Green. By how much? It seems we expect there to be competition over the next few games still, at least, between these two. And you know what they say about "when you have 2 quarterbacks"...

I suppose the bottom line I'm getting at is, all three guys we have are probably average. There's no savior among them. We have "depth", I suppose, compared to last year, but we don't have 2 or 3 star players at QB...just 3 average guys. 2 of them are going to be young guys that will make young player mistakes. So let's at least temper our expectations here.

OK first off zoogies, that's three options you listed, not two. The season's started now you gotta be on your game ;)

We may never know the story, but I tend to lean towards those saying that something seems strange. How did Watson and/or Bo have such strong loyalty towards Lee last season, despite how much mental indecisiveness he displayed, then suddenly bury him on the depth chart for this season? Why did they constantly say the QB race was very close, yet Lee only gets mop-duty? Did Green really improve so much in the off-season that he passed a healthy Lee by leaps and bounds, despite the fact that he couldn't seem to pass an injured Lee last season?

I was never really a Lee supporter but I'm definitely curious what went on behind the scenes. Plenty of stuff doesn't seem to be adding up completely. None of your options seem to be true unless the coaches were flat-out lying about the race being close. The way these QBs were played Saturday does not equal a neck and neck and neck race.

I like how you laid out 3 possibilities, and then just completely ignored one of them. "The reports on Zac Lee would have to be completely off base for '1' to be the case. That leads me to '3.'" WTF happened to #2?

What we've heard all camp is that all 3 QB's improved, but Martinez passed the others up. This would basically be your #2 possibility, which, for whatever reason, you simply chose to ignore (i.e. reality shopping).

Sorry, I forgot to address #2. It is simply far-fetched. We sort of know what we have in Green. All of a sudden we have TWO superstar QBs? I don't consider that to be very likely. This is not reality shopping; this is being realistic. Who doesn't want #2 to be the case?

On the flip side, I would say that you are choosing to ignore simpler explanations that we have heard about, because you don't like the implications. And while they aren't great, they aren't terrible either (the Martinez experiment may well turn out fantastic for Bo). But my reasons for dismissing #2 is that it just isn't very likely. You might add onto that what we have heard about Martinez being pretty inconsistent this camp - with great plays followed up by strings of interceptions.

Again, It would be fantastic if 2 were the case, but no sign has it realistically pointing in that direction. Here's 2 again:

2) Lee is the good, senior leader, consistent QB who improved on what we saw in the Holiday Bowl. Martinez is just that superstar that surpassed him. Green is another superstar who surpassed him. Martinez is ahead of Green.

But, my credibility in logic takes a big hit, I can't count today! Sorry guys. No idea why I said "two possibilities" and then listed 3. I meant 3.

Sorry, I thought we played the worst team in college football with the longest losing record. I did not know our QB's played a team with a pulse to be graded on.

This game and effort means absolutely nothing. Nothing to plan on or build on, a waste of time as a game other than money for Nebraska. Nothing to be told from it nothing to learn from.

Nice play by Martinez, I guess Green and Lee got hosed.

We may not know what we have until we hit conference play.

The big ten will make us grow balls and play someone next year. I hate these games.

Glad we won and the kids had fun. I watched the entire game, but saw nothing that makes me think we are on par with the top teams in the country as of yet.

Get over it. Beat someone and then try to figure where we are.

MNC, Hypsman from that game is a joke not even worth repeating.

Bluntly and rather harshly put, but pretty much true. The last time I fell for reading anything into a cupcake opener was 2004, when the great Joe Dailey led us to nearly 600 yard of offense in a demolition of Western Illinois. I learned my lesson. Now, let's see us manhandle Washington and Kansas State and then I'll get excited.

We just need to get a hold of ourselves. Unrealistic is what we are know for as fans, and some of these posts rank up there as crazy.

Not saying we will not play fantastic this year, but playing WestSide might have been a better test.

Was impressed by their RB and QB though.