QB Race

And if you're not willing to believe Pelini, where's the evidence to back your side?

Dillard. Dillard was CLEARLY the best LB on the team last year. But he was mysteriously absent from the lineup the first 2 games. The Lee situation this year is similar. That's what gives me a lot of pause in this matter and makes it difficult to take the staff's word.

Just to be clear, that's separate from whether Martinez is capable of running the offense. Any of the 3 QB's could still end up being "the guy" this season. I just hope we perform at a level which allows us the opportunity to win the B12 this year.

What doesn't seem right? You're either willing to believe Pelini and crew that through open competition Martinez won the job, or you're not. And if you're not willing to believe Pelini, where's the evidence to back your side?

What doesn't seem right to me is that with Lee's experience and the fact that he was the starter last year (while injured), he would be given a slight edge going into the competition. Which would mean that for someone to take his spot they would need to be leaps and bounds better than him. With the playing time that he got (mop-up duty) it leads me to believe that Green and Martinez were that much better than him. Point being that the competition couldn't have been that close between all 3 qb's which is all we heard throughout the summer and fall. Based on what we saw during the WKU game, the only real competition was between Green and Martinez.

• Fire 1

Personally I thought people (Shatel comes to mind) made too big a deal about how good he (Green) played. He only threw 6 passes and I don't remember one of those being to a wide receiver who wasn't wide open. The touchdown was nice (Paul left the defender well behind there as well) but 6 passes versus Western Kentucky does not a quarterback make.

If Martinez goes through the year as a freshman starter, which is a big if at this point, and looks to be a solid starter going into 2011. I wouldnt blame Cody Green for transfering.

Cody isn't transferring. I don't know why people outside of the program keep bringing this up. The kid loves the team and the university... and also the girls. Seriously though, Cody isn't a kid that loses the starting job and transfers out, he's one who will compete and work everyday to win the starting job back.

Personally I thought people (Shatel comes to mind) made too big a deal about how good he played. He only threw 6 passes and I don't remember one of those being to a wide receiver who wasn't wide open. The touchdown was nice (Paul left the defender well behind there as well) but 6 passes (5 completions...) versus Western Kentucky does not a quarterback make.

If you would watch the post game interviews, Watson gave Martinez a watered down play book with a high number of high completion plays. The coaches planned for Cody's series in the 1st half to stretch the field more with the deep ball ( which is what you saw ). Depending on who you are, you may take this to mean that the coaches aren't at the point of taking all the training wheels off Martinez in terms of throwing the deep ball and picking apart defenses with his arm, but they are at that point with Cody.

My only concern is how effective Martinez will still be if defenses stack the box against him and shut down our running game. I don't see us winning too many games from behind with his arm alone. :dunno

I wasn't going to comment on this because the Lee backers are going to be bawling about this all year. That being said, I was a Lee backer for most of last season, but it just got to the point that I realized that he just isn't good enough at this level. I truly believe that the only thing that he may be better at is the deep ball, and that is a definate maybe we will see. He cannot run (well maybe on a track, but not in a footall game) he has no vision, and he cannot run the play action pass, or hit short passes accurately. That is what impressed me the most about Matinez. More so even then his ability to make HUGE plays with his legs. His short passes were spot on. I was really impressed with Green also I think that he made huge strides from last year. I see Green getting alot of playing time this season, but Matinez should get the nod, IMO of course. The funny part is that Michael Severe was saying towards the end of last season that he thought Martinez would start this year by what he was hearing from his inside sources. At first I thought he was crazy, but I guess none would have guessed this kid would be the real deal, and would end up on defense. IMO this is a very pleasant surprise. I guess we will find out as the competion gets better, but I think that we stole one hell of an athlete, for our new QB.

I will deem him a Crouch clone on the day that he hits an Iowa linebacker so hard, that the dazed young man will require smelling salts to come back into consciousness.

Edit: I will also require him to score a touchdown on the play.

And I will deem him a Crouch Clone when his completion percentage drops below 45% and he starts throwing balls into the ground 10 yards in front of wide open receivers in the flat.

Did anyone not really notice who the first person on the sideline to congratulate Taylor after his big plays was? It was Cody Green. In fact Cody says he was excited and pumped up watching Taylor. I didn't see a certain other QB smiling and high fiving Taylor. Cody has welcomed the situation it seems through his quotes. A signal of a strong team player.

I agree with typ3kal. The plays that Taylor ran (sans the two failed two minute offense possessions) in the passing game were very basic and with little intermediate routes and no deep routes. This will come in time. Cody did have a pass package that included longer pass plays. Not a suprise Cody's deep ball is the best I feel(think the Baylor game to Niles and the spring game to Will H).

I am confident in each of the two young pups, but the nothing was really gained in playing W. Kentucky. We learned first hand finally, that Taylor can fly and Cody has grown as a QB. Things we heard all August. Now starts the real test against competition that will tell us a lot better of where they stand. Idaho isn't Texas by anymeans but a lot stronger than the Hilltoppers.