QB Race

Guys, guys, guys! I agree it is a risk to start a RFrosh at QB...but why are we suprised? The offense was anemic last year...Bo wants to run the ball to set up the pass.....its Martinez and Green are best suited to it! I feel for Zach, but thats the direction we are headed in. In my opinion we can't win the conference or NC w/Lee. We may not be able to with a FROSH, but I would rather see this staff go for it....and Martinez appears to have the IT factor. We see what happens when he faces a good defense, but it is nice to know we have 3 solid QBs.

Honestly, cocky isn't the word I would give that interview......awkward I think is a better one. He just looked really uncomofiratble and his answers were all too short.

I did ask afterwards- is that kid really cocky or is he just a bad interview.

Maybe he was high? Test him! Test him now! No wait, drug test, not test scores! He's obviously not smart enough to be in college since his first interview by the press is being scrutinized by them and the fans! Kick him off the team now before the secrets come out!!! :sarcasm

A 19-year-old just started his first ever college game in front of 85,000 people wearing a Nebraska uniform. Put yourself in that spot.

Now imagine yourself running for 46 yards for a touchdown on your THIRD EVER play. Now imagine yourself doing that several times throughout the game.

Why do we have to be so critical of everything? Especially someone in this position. We just witnessed a QB do something we haven't seen in years. I don't care

if it was WKU, speed and poise like that are rare.

I'm all for excitement about the youngster's first real game, and he played like a veteran at times, but he has to be humble. He also held the ball up with one hand twice BEFORE crossing the goal line in celebration which could cause a huge problem in the future should someone catch up with him.

Who the heck are you to say he HAS to be humble? Last time I checked, being humble is not a requirement to: be on the team, to play, to perform well, to talk to the media, etc.

And as for your issue with him holding the ball up - maybe it's not smart, but the dude had literally just blown by the safety - the only guy within twenty yards, I think he knew he was safe.

Honestly, cocky isn't the word I would give that interview......awkward I think is a better one. He just looked really uncomofiratble and his answers were all too short.

I did ask afterwards- is that kid really cocky or is he just a bad interview.

Bingo. After his "i was always this good" answer, he paused and made a "oh crap" face. He has been shielded since he's been here, and it's his first time under the lights.

Also, if you watched the Big 12 recap on FSN, they interviewed him and you could tell he was uncomfortable and gave 2-3 word answers for every question. One question they asked him was what he needed to work on and he said, "Reading defenses," and paused trying to think of something else to say but coming up blank. It was an awkward 3-5 seconds before the reporter asked him another question.

A friend of mine lived on the same floor as Martinez last year and said he was one of the cockiest people he'd ever met and that no one on the floor or on the team liked him. My friend knows one of the walk on players pretty well and he said that Martinez flat out told him and other walk-ons that they didn't deserve to be on the team and that they were basically a waste of space. I would say he's a little cocky.

I'm sure that story didn't get twisted at all by jealousy or friends/family wishing their guy was getting the same kind of love as t-mart... that is if this is even coming from a reliable source, which I highly doubt. Watching post-game interviews, every guy smiled when talking about Taylor. If he were an arrogant jerk, I suspect players wouldn't love talking about him so much.

The only redshirt or true freshman quarterback to start a season opener for Nebraska, Martinez became the first Husker signal-caller since 2003 to run for more than 100 yards in a game. Maybe a little cocky, but i think he backed up the talk. Lets see how he does week to week and see what he says. I dont think Bo would start him if he didnt think he was the man for the job. Bo said in the interview, he earned the starting spot. T-mart must know he wants to do good things for NE.

A friend of mine lived on the same floor as Martinez last year and said he was one of the cockiest people he'd ever met and that no one on the floor or on the team liked him. My friend knows one of the walk on players pretty well and he said that Martinez flat out told him and other walk-ons that they didn't deserve to be on the team and that they were basically a waste of space. I would say he's a little cocky.

I'm sure that story didn't get twisted at all by jealousy or friends/family wishing their guy was getting the same kind of love as t-mart... that is if this is even coming from a reliable source, which I highly doubt. Watching post-game interviews, every guy smiled when talking about Taylor. If he were an arrogant jerk, I suspect players wouldn't love talking about him so much.

haha, if true, thats messed up, but if the kid leads the team to a National Title, i could care less about his attitude. Im jelous of him. im 23 years old and wish i could run a 50 yard TD run in front of 86,000 people cheering. Id be on top of the world

I'm all for excitement about the youngster's first real game, and he played like a veteran at times, but he has to be humble. He also held the ball up with one hand twice BEFORE crossing the goal line in celebration which could cause a huge problem in the future should someone catch up with him.

Who the heck are you to say he HAS to be humble? Last time I checked, being humble is not a requirement to: be on the team, to play, to perform well, to talk to the media, etc.

And as for your issue with him holding the ball up - maybe it's not smart, but the dude had literally just blown by the safety - the only guy within twenty yards, I think he knew he was safe.

Safe from being Leon Lett'ed yeah, but not from risking a 15-yard penalty that would put us at the 16 with no TD.