QB Race

The only concern of mine was putting his arms up before crossing the goalline. A stricter officiating crew could easily call a celebration penalty, which by the new rules would annul the TD. Would be a crappy way to lose a big game.

As for the interview, it came across as far more awkward than anything else. I think the answer about not having to work hard just came across wrong. He was just trying to say that he had developed his skills his senior year of HS so there wasn't any huge improvement needed as far as running and making good passes.

A friend of mine lived on the same floor as Martinez last year and said he was one of the cockiest people he'd ever met and that no one on the floor or on the team liked him. My friend knows one of the walk on players pretty well and he said that Martinez flat out told him and other walk-ons that they didn't deserve to be on the team and that they were basically a waste of space. I would say he's a little cocky.

The only concern of mine was putting his arms up before crossing the goalline. A stricter officiating crew could easily call a celebration penalty, which by the new rules would annul the TD. Would be a crappy way to lose a big game.

As for the interview, it came across as far more awkward than anything else. I think the answer about not having to work hard just came across wrong. He was just trying to say that he had developed his skills his senior year of HS so there wasn't any huge improvement needed as far as running and making good passes.

A friend of mine lived on the same floor as Martinez last year and said he was one of the cockiest people he'd ever met and that no one on the floor or on the team liked him. My friend knows one of the walk on players pretty well and he said that Martinez flat out told him and other walk-ons that they didn't deserve to be on the team and that they were basically a waste of space. I would say he's a little cocky. Still, as long as he continues to play like he did last night I don't think anyone really cares.

A friend of mine lived on the same floor as Martinez last year and said he was one of the cockiest people he'd ever met and that no one on the floor or on the team liked him. My friend knows one of the walk on players pretty well and he said that Martinez flat out told him and other walk-ons that they didn't deserve to be on the team and that they were basically a waste of space. I would say he's a little cocky.

Well that blows.

Actually the TD should have counted if they penalized the celebration. They only take away the TD if the celebration occurs before the player crosses the goal line, and and it's 15 yards from the spot of the foul.

I also liked that when Martinez scored his 2nd touchdown, he threw the bones at the crowd, that was awesome.

:throwdabones1: :throwdabones1: :throwdabones1:

I got a bit of a laugh, never seen an offensive guy throw the bones. Niles comment was pretty funny post-game. They asked him if he saw Taylor throwing the Bones and he said, "Did he throw that?... He's confused then, we'll talk to him about it."

I don't know what everyone saw out of Zac Lee during the Sun Belt games, but I was not impressed. I was a huge Lee fan going into the season based off of what they were saying in the media and I really wanted to think he was the real deal after his big statistical games early on but he seemed to lack something. Sure we scored a fair amount of points and had some nice numbers but most of scoring drives were long and hard-fought. The great nebraska teams of old scored at will on teams like that and you got the sense that against better competition our offense wasn't going to work with Lee. Everything he does is so mechanical and methodical. When he runs he appears to just put his head down, brace for a hit, and then look for a nice place to go down. Hardly a threat. In the passing game he looked like Sam Keller 2.0, standing back there holding onto the ball forever until the rush came and taking sack after sack. The biggest thing that got me about Lee last year was that you could just see the fear, nervousness, and lack of confidence in eyes when they would close-up on his face. I'm sorry but Zac Lee just does not have the "it" factor that players like Frazier Frost, Crouch, Ganz, and I believe Taylor Martinez all possess, and I don't think he'll see significant time again.

K

If Lee is seriously the 3rd string QB, then what's to stop you from just quitting the team. Seriously. He's a senior, and this ends his career if he's 3rd string

If they are migrating to a new system, and Lee doesn't fit that system, well....chit happens.

If he's a cocky princess who needed to be put in his place, I would say last night was a big step in achieving that.

Keep in mind that he did miss the spring-maybe he simply isn't ready yet,

1. The fact that Taylor is confident to the point of arrogant is only a problem if it stops him from accepting coaching. From what I gather about the 90s teams, Tommie Frazier had a head the size of a hot air balloon, but did it matter? Of course not––he buried just about everyone he played alive.

2. I am also on the Lee side of the force. As well as Taylor played last night, the only truly surprising bit of it was that he didn't have any negative plays. That's something Zac struggled with mightily last season, even early. But he had surgery, came back, conducts himself well, and as far as all the reports are concerned, is by far the best passer in the game.

The issue we have is Watson's system is 'multiple' to the point of indistinguishable. Are we a pass-happy spread-WC, a ground power, or a spread-option QB running team? Since the demise of Callahan, Nebraska's O has seen a number of transformations, yesterday being yet another one. If the future of this program is a heavy reliance on a running QB, then that is why Lee will not be playing. He's yesterday's passing QB in today's running QB market.

3. The "who's 'really' the best QB" back-and-forth doesn't add much to the conversation. Someone says he knows someone who says Zac clearly won. Someone else who knows someone else says Taylor clearly won. Still someone else says Cody represents the best of both worlds in passing and running. What's a fan to decide based on that? Simple: You're talking to different people with different opinions. But the person whose opinion ultimately matters has already spoken. Bo has said Taylor is the QB, which means in his eyes Taylor won the QB battle, or is at least in the driver's seat for the time being.

I just caught up on the game (I had to DVR it)...and just finished watching Martinez's performance and his interview at the end.

To me, the kid is just an excited 19 year old. He's played his first game in front of a huge crowd and he played great...he was smirking because he was just excited. It's probably the first time he's ever had such huge attention towards his playing. I say let the kid live it up for the weekend. Then back to work to get ready for next week. I really liked watching him play. But he's got some bigger challenges ahead of him than Western Kentucky.

These coaches jobs are on the line. Does anyone really think they would "screw" Zac Lee if he was actually the best. It speaks volumes that he wasn't even #2 off the bench. He lost his starting job, it's as simple as that. If he begins to prove in practice that he can help us win and T-Mart can't, then you can bet Lee will be back starting.

Im not claiming to know more. I just dont think we can be as successful against top notch teams with this type of O

I agree in the sense that Lee did not have a real shot to prove himself. But in order for me to buy your argument, you need to give me some kind of logical argument as to why you think that we won't be as successful against top notch teams.

Let's take a moment to reconsider the NU/ISU game last year. I don't think ISU would qualify as a "top-notch" team. But for whatever reason, Lee was still ineffective in running the offense. I remember feeling nervous every time Lee was pressured in the backfield last season because it would end up as an incompletion or a sack. Martinez seems to have real mobility.

I will wait until later in the season to entertain the idea of him being the best running quarterback we have seen since Eric Crouch. With that being said, I see Martinez being a lot more mobile than Lee. Are there any instances from last season where you remember Lee being pressured and taking off down the field? I'm sure it must have happened at some point in the season -- but no particular memory comes to mind.

Lee wasnt ineffective in running the offense...i think we can all agree that lee was not the problem that game

Actually the TD should have counted if they penalized the celebration. They only take away the TD if the celebration occurs before the player crosses the goal line, and and it's 15 yards from the spot of the foul.

He also held the ball up with one hand twice BEFORE crossing the goal line in celebration which could cause a huge problem in the future should someone catch up with him.

Almost everyone I have talked to about the situation has said that Lee is VERY arrogant.

I haven't ever said anything about this on this board because I do not know Zac Lee personally. However, from the couple players I have talked to/know and others around the program, along with my own observations, this is exactly what I have heard/seen. Zac Lee has been described to me as very selfish and arrogant. When I hear people on this board talk about what a great leader he is and how all of his teammates love him I know that they do not know what they are talking about. Everything I have heard is exactly opposite. It also makes me wonder where people on this board come up with these statements/ideas. Do they just make this stuff up to make themselves look good?

The one thing I noticed at the game yesterday was Cody Green (Not Zac Lee) was up congratulating his teammates on offense after great plays. I was really impressed with how much he was into the game both on and off the field. Maybe it was how high in the stands I was sitting but I couldnt find Zac Lee. Cody was sometimes running on the field to give TMART props.