QB Race

Hey mates.....Tmart is a freshman. What more did Crouch accomplished his 1st eligible game as a freshman? Iirc he didn't even play.

Geeesh....I'm not saying he's accomplished what Crouch did in four years with his first game. I assumed that was obvious. I just think Tmart is easily off to a good of a start as Crouch did and he sure looks to me like he's got "it".

That's all.

I'll give T-mart credit for having a great pair of legs and a very explosive burst when he starts running. He tore WKU from their shoes yesterday. but can he handle himself against top notch teams like Texas A&M, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma and such? Split back Option Read is a nice tool against a weaker opponent, but do you really think ranked teams won't be able to shut it down if they know its coming?

So before you think T-Mart is capable of taking us all the way this year, ask yourself can T-Mart run 40-50 yards against Texas, Missouri, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma?

Oh, that's variable not under his control to a large extent (blocking). But if he has a seam? Yep......he's GONE. Texas, Missou, OU, or whoever.

I probably should've mentioned that i wasn't impressed with our OL. If the OL did improve from last year it should have dominated WKU in the trenches, but i saw a lot of inconsistency from them, especially Ricky Henry. And before we start thinking that T-mart can outrun anyone in the Big 12, well lets just not get ahead of ourselves.

I'm honestly not trying to step on anybody's toes here regarding Z. Lee. He's a Husker and I'm proud of him. That said....

Tmart is bloody AWESOME. I didn't think it was possible to be as quick on the field as Crouch....but by God, he just "might" be. We're talking a real deal blue-chip playmaker. Oh boy, talk about a "weapon".

He even looked poised and calm which is just amazing for his 1st start. Barring injury, he's gonna light things up.

Before you start crowning him the next Heisman Trophy winner remember...Martinez played against a team who had the second worst rated Defense in the country last year.

One down and a long season ahead. The euphoria of the season's first game, a great run in his first series as a Husker and we all get a little too giddy. At what point last year did we begin to anoint Cody Green as the savior of the program? I know its an old cliche but one game at a time gang, one game at a time.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

So BigWillie.....are you saying Lee "was screwed" out of his job? That's what some are stating....

Lee was undoubtedly screwed out of the job.

From nearly everyone I trust, they all said Zac was the most consistent QB throughout the entire camp and earned his spot. Some even admitted that teammates were saying Zac earned the job.

Of course, people will always fall to Bo on this - at least until he loses, then he will be a POS who got nothing right. Never smart to blindly follow anyone on anything.

Oh hell, Martinez is already a better passer than Crouch ever was. And Green and Lee are better back ups than Bobby Newcombe and Monte Christo, even if Monte Christo had the more awesome name.

Also, Martinez is too cocky, but that will get pounded out of him soon. And Pelini is too testy with the media. You don't get to create a circus then complain about the circus.

Bigger concern is a Nebraska defense getting shredded by a Western Kentucky running game. But I think it was enough to wake them up.

Looks like an exciting year.

i guess im just not a huge fan of the spread optionm

I can remember what was being said in the weeks leading up to the 96 Fiesta Bowl. The Ole Ball Coach and his fun and gun offence was going to show Ozzie and his 50ies style offence what 90ies college football was all about. We all know what happened that night in Phoenix. The game was over in the second quarter.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

So BigWillie.....are you saying Lee "was screwed" out of his job? That's what some are stating....

From nearly everyone I trust, they all said Zac was the most consistent QB throughout the entire camp and earned his spot. Some even admitted that teammates were saying Zac earned the job.

Of course, people will always fall to Bo on this - at least until he loses, then he will be a POS who got nothing right. Never smart to blindly follow anyone on anything.

Wow....I'm not at all sure I buy that but I sincerely appreciate your honest reply as you see it. Thank you sir.

It is possible he's 19 and just not polished? Jeez, give the kid awhile to get his media legs under him.

Couldn't agree more, he looked more uncomfortable answering interview questions than he did facing a blitz. His answers were short and to the point. He'll get the "coach-speak" type answers down as he does more interviews.

Wow....I'm not at all sure I buy that but I sincerely appreciate your honest reply as you see it. Thank you sir.

OK, I'll go with it, Lee got screwed. But you must ask why? Let's ponder on Bo's motivation to screw Lee.

At age 19, Martinez is already better at hiding the ball and selling his fakes than Lee, the Senior who's been working longer with the same guys. That's not magic, but it is instinct. Zac Lee can be really competent at times, but he telegraphs almost every play. A coach sees that and there's no way you don't want the kid with instinct in there.

That being said, there's a good chance Zac Lee will have to come in and save this team's bacon at some point this year.

Some of you more seasoned fans may remember a qb named Mark Mauer who had a young qb behind him named Turner Gill. The fans all wanted Gill and thus wanted Mauer out. Gill soon replaced Mauer, the Huskers rolled and then Gill got hurt and it was poor Mark Mauer who had to go up against Oklahoma. Well Mauer and the Huskers actually crushed OK that year, the first time in many seasons. Nobody fogot Turner Gill but Mauer was given a nice exit and a piece of redemption.

At age 19, Martinez is already better at hiding the ball and selling his fakes than Lee, the Senior who's been working longer with the same guys. That's not magic, but it is instinct. Zac Lee can be really competent at times, but he telegraphs almost every play. A coach sees that and there's no way you don't want the kid with instinct in there.

That being said, there's a good chance Zac Lee will have to come in and save this team's bacon at some point this year.

Some of you more seasoned fans may remember a qb named Mark Mauer who had a young qb behind him named Turner Gill. The fans all wanted Gill and thus wanted Mauer out. Gill soon replaced Mauer, the Huskers rolled and then Gill got hurt and it was poor Mark Mauer who had to go up against Oklahoma. Well Mauer and the Huskers actually crushed OK that year, the first time in many seasons. Nobody fogot Turner Gill but Mauer was given a nice exit and a piece of redemption.

Excellent true story and post. Thank you sir!