QB Race

didnt read any responses but zac lee had his shot and proved nothing during conference play last year... our offense was the laughing stock of not only the big xii but the entire nation. if you think he got screwed go back and watch any conference game from last year. he is clearly not our best option to have a good season or he would be on the field.

OK this is my first post here, however I have been trolling this board for quite some time...

My take on this situation very cut and dry. Lee must have not been the best QB for THIS team, and neither was Cody Green.

I tend to think the Bo is a smart person and an exceptionally smart person when it comes to football.

We are a top 10 team with aspirations of winning the Big 12 and more...

I can't see starting a redshirt freshman at QB if he wasn't clearly the best for us at that position, sure I acknowledge the fact that he needed game experience and that was easy to give to him VS a lesser opponent, however he must have shown something that none of us have seen first hand until tonight.

I feel bad for Lee, he is a good leader and lead us to a win against Arizona, and I really do think he is a good football player, however....

You don't start a freshman at QB in the first game when you're in the national spotlight again without thinking that he is clearly the best

Just my opinion...

I love the Huskers and always will....GBR!!!!

If I were Zac Lee,

Wait a second lemme step into his body for a second.

Dudes, whats happenin I am ZAC LEE BRA!....I would like to say that I am be pretty happy at the fact that in 2009 I was part of a Nebraska football team, infact, I was the starting quarterback for the Nebraska Cornhuskers who, almost upset VA Tech at home, Beat OU for the first time a few times, got to play on the opposite side of the ball to the most awesome defensive linemen ever (SUH), won the big 12 north, came withing a point, and a second of blowing up the BSC. Almost Beat Texas in Dallas on the biggest stage in the nation at that moment, and wining the CC. (everyone was watching that game) came withing 4 stinking points of playing for quite possibly a national championship (1pt VA Tech) (1pt Texas) (2pts ISU). And have the first shut out in the Holiday bowl, while vindicating that my awefulence wasn't so aweful in that game. All as a starter.

Throw in what I goet to be part of in 2008, and get to be in 2010 as being a member of the team. Really I don't think I have all that much to complain about.

Now, I am me again. So after entering his body...we all now know that he's not pissed......lets move on. can we get a lock in here, cuz this is getting outta control....me included

Bo does not have a problem with Lee he just didnt win the job its as simple as that. If Lee made the offense the most effective then he would have started tonight simple as that. Lee was not "owed" anything and he should not have been handed the starting job just because he started last year simple as that.

The guy didnt win the job simple as that.

No offense...

But I take what BigWillie says as a little more than just a random guy posting on a message board... He knows what is going on.. When he says that Bo has something against Lee, I'll give it the time of day to hear it out... While Martinez may have won the job because of his legs, I don't know if he will keep it because of his arm.

TBH, it shouldn't all be dumped in Bo's lap. Other coaches on the staff have a bad opinion of Zac. OTOH, some coaches have nothing but good things to say about Zac. But like I said, only one guy has an opinion that really matters, and Zac has a bad rep with that one guy.

It's like being in the middle of some silly drama between a group o friends - who are you going to side with. Not everyone is going to be on the same page.

As far as Zac's arrogance - the guy very much had an ego. That was when he got onto campus. His teammates had a horrible opinion of him in his first year, because Zac felt he was the next 'chosen one' to lead the offense. As of now, that isn't a problem, at all as Zac understands his place in the world. Long talks with Suh and Asante cured those issues going into his junior season.

But having QBs with a huge ego isn't uncommon. For the first few months when Taylor Martinez got on campus, he was basically a loner. Taylor still has a huge ego with arrogance, but his teammates deal with it because he can back some of that up.

But personal opinions of people are subjective as can be. Ask 10 different people what they think about 1 single person, and you would get opinions all over the map.

This QB race seems far from over to me. TMart is gonna be loved by everyone at this time, a rs-freshman starting at QB. I am very excited about what he showed VS WKU, he has some skills that Zac and Cody dont.

Lets see what happens when NU is down and hes thrown 2 ints before the half. What happens when he struggles, it will be nice to have Zac Lee on the bench.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned something that was pretty glaring to me last night.

First of all, our play mix was 33 rushes, 25 passes. Pretty even.

Did anyone watch the three quarterbacks after the snap in any type of passing play? I don't pretend to be an expert quarterback evaluator or know the playbook in any way, but Martinez looked to have the best presence by FAR in the pocket.

When Green was in the pocket, his head never even once moved from the direction of his intended receiver. Either his eyes can scan the field without him moving his head, or he is keying in big time. Looks to me like he generally knows where he's throwing it before the snap. My wife even noticed this. He is going to get picked like like Chase Daniel's nose if he keeps this up in conference play. He does have a cannon for an arm. Green's also got some legs under him and can lower the shoulder. He definitely has the most power I saw with the quarterbacks. He's the kind of guy that will get 4 yards on a quarterback sneak.

Lee in the pocket didn't look as nimble as Green, but at least he gave a cursory glance to a second receiver. I do not remember him checking down to a third receiver. He also missed a few guys who were not in his field of vision. When he couldn't find a receiver, his running style is also very stiff and he runs in a straight line.

Edit: Lee's receiver checks also looked rushed/token. Almost as if he would swing his head to the side just to trick the defense for a second before firing off a pass to the receiver he was keying on.

Martinez impressed me the most in the pocket. He would regularly fully scan the full field from left to right after his initial drop back. Then, even after occasional scampering, he would scan the ENTIRE field again looking for receivers. Having a quarterback that is a running threat who is willing to make a move and then continue scanning the field for receivers is tremendously valuable to a football team. And I don't need to dedhoarse about his runs.

My bottom line is that if our team is going to develop into balanced offense, my evaluation of Martinez is that he has the best pocket presence of the QB's and is the best pure runner. Start him.

I'm honestly not trying to step on anybody's toes here regarding Z. Lee. He's a Husker and I'm proud of him. That said....

Tmart is bloody AWESOME. I didn't think it was possible to be as quick on the field as Crouch....but by God, he just "might" be. We're talking a real deal blue-chip playmaker. Oh boy, talk about a "weapon".

He even looked poised and calm which is just amazing for his 1st start. Barring injury, he's gonna light things up.