QB Race

I seriously hope were not starting a feel sorry for lee thread. If you recall in a previous thread Bo stated that Lee missed out on alot when he missed spring ball. What i took from that was he was flat out not ready. And if Green and Martinez had improved they would pass him, which they did. Lee played hirt last year and helped us win a few key games. One thing i will agree with is that Lee didnt look confident in the games i saw him in last year. He always seemed rushed and nervous, green was the same way. But watching the highlights tonight (granted there highlights) Martinez seemed cool as a cucumber out there. Remember even though its just western kentucky they werent the same size boys he saw last year in highschool. And green looked better as well, alittle more cool in the pocket this year. I will agree that i dont think Lee should be thrown under the bus but this is a competative sport and if Bo and staff feel he isnt good enough then he better work his ass off to become better. He is the senior, he is the leader so he better start playing like so.

We arent used to freshman quarterbacks coming in and takeing control, your used to vetrin juniors and seniors. Someone you believe in is capable of being your leader. NO matter how old they are.

We start a different QB every game

I find it tough to believe they are going to throw in a "new" starter against Washington. I also find it tough to believe Martinez isn't going to get significant PT after the way he played Saturday AND if he keeps up the intensity in practice.

Bo said nothing is going to change with the quarterback competition and they will keep competing. If someone beats Martinez out for a start next Saturday then I believe that person was better, but I don't think the coaches are going to start a new QB just for the sake of starting a new QB.

Sidenote-I know some people have been talking about Martinez' cockiness in his post game, and I would like to remind them of Eric Crouch. Heisman Trophy winner and definitely one of the cockiest players I remember (at least, from a personal opinion). But that cockiness won games.

This is what the next week is going to be like on this board? Listen...Lee doesn't fit the direction this offense is going, to put it simply. He's not a decisive (or overly fast) runner, and that makes the zone read option a lot less effective. If you don't have a threat at QB on that play, it's just a very obvious handoff from a shotgun set...not an effective play. Bo wants to run the ball, and it appears he wants to be able to run it from many different looks...including the spread option type of looks. If Lee doesn't add anything to that type of system, what good does it do to start him just because he's a senior?

I think the depth chart tonight at QB shows that Bo was looking for the player who best fit this system. We will have about a 60/40 run/pass ratio this year, if not higher. If that means we need to get the best athlete out there at QB, great. Martinez obviously did something right in camp, because he's the guy the coaches chose to start the opener.

I'm especially fond of the guys who really think that there's no way we can win the big 12 or even a MNC with Martinez/Green at QB...like Lee really did anything last year to make people believe he's got a better chance to do get us there. Do you really think if he gave us a better chance to win, he'd be 3rd string? Our coaching staff has its faults, but they are not stupid. They did what they think is best for the team.

This season will be brutal for the fans if we have to listen to the "Zac Lee got screwed" camp complain all year long.

That's the part I don't get either. What the heck did Lee do last year that has so many convinced that he SHOULD NOT have to deal with competition at his position? My God, we were HORRIBLE on that side of the ball last year. Even in some parallel universe were he did play well last year, he "still" would have to earn it this year.

Then all the endless whinning, sobbing, conspiracy theories, etc.....anything and everything that can possibly be dreamed up. Wow, it's really something.

If you recall in a previous thread Bo stated that Lee missed out on alot when he missed spring ball. What i took from that was he was flat out not ready. And if Green and Martinez had improved they would pass him, which they did.

I'm a bit hazy on the timeline of events, but here's what I have...

1. Lee missed spring ball, but Cody could not step up and grab the job by the horns, when he was given that opportunity. I don't remember hearing about Taylor much back then. Someone can fill me in on Taylor's standing at that point.

2. Lee returned over the summer and was healed up and sharp.

3. All three quarterbacks had strong fall camps.

4. Lee was supposedly the frontrunner, and Martinez was (apparently) running with the 3's, from practice pictures where he was handing off to Collins Okafor.

5. Martinez missed a practice for reasons unknown.

6. Martinez shot up the depth chart. (Where's Green been all this time? #2? I'm not sure). Lee winds up all of a sudden completely out of consideration, while Martinez is supposedly just a little ahead of Green.

That's the part I don't get either. What the heck did Lee do last year that has so many convinced that he SHOULD NOT have to deal with competition at his position? My God, we were HORRIBLE on that side of the ball last year. Even in some parallel universe were he did play well last year, he "still" would have to earn it this year.

Nobody said Lee deserved not to have to deal with competition. I think I said before that regardless of how far ahead he was of the other QBs, with the way his play went last year, he was just in a position where he HAD to know he was in a competition and nothing was going to be given to him.

My issue is he was not even a factor in the end, which goes against all the signs heading up to the last week or so, and that is really strange to me. Lee flat fell off the map. Maybe he really did lose the competition that badly. It's just hard to believe it's anything other than coaches deciding to go in a different direction.

Im not claiming to know more. I just dont think we can be as successful against top notch teams with this type of O

I think his point, more or less, was the way you come off. When trying to prove a point, it doesn't do well for your stance to immediately disregard what anybody else thinks. It makes you come off as pompous and arrogant.

That said, I don't think we are the point in the season to really judge who should be playing and who shouldn't. If Martinez' youth and inexperience gives us the best chance to win because of his play-making ability, I'm all for it. You should be too.

We need to get past the "feel sorry" mood for any of the quarterbacks. You need to come every day and compete as a football player. If you get beat out, then you deserve the PT you earn, if any.

If you recall in a previous thread Bo stated that Lee missed out on alot when he missed spring ball. What i took from that was he was flat out not ready. And if Green and Martinez had improved they would pass him, which they did.

I'm a bit hazy on the timeline of events, but here's what I have...

1. Lee missed spring ball, but Cody could not step up and grab the job by the horns, when he was given that opportunity. I don't remember hearing about Taylor much back then. Someone can fill me in on Taylor's standing at that point.

2. Lee returned over the summer and was healed up and sharp.

3. All three quarterbacks had strong fall camps.

4. Lee was supposedly the frontrunner, and Martinez was (apparently) running with the 3's, from practice pictures where he was handing off to Collins Okafor.

5. Martinez missed a practice for reasons unknown.

6. Martinez shot up the depth chart. (Where's Green been all this time? #2? I'm not sure). Lee winds up all of a sudden completely out of consideration, while Martinez is supposedly just a little ahead of Green.

In Spring, the T-Magic name surfaced and some of the players were talking about his speed. After the Spring game, people went a little ape "you-know-what".

This is what the next week is going to be like on this board? Listen...Lee doesn't fit the direction this offense is going, to put it simply. He's not a decisive (or overly fast) runner, and that makes the zone read option a lot less effective. If you don't have a threat at QB on that play, it's just a very obvious handoff from a shotgun set...not an effective play. Bo wants to run the ball, and it appears he wants to be able to run it from many different looks...including the spread option type of looks. If Lee doesn't add anything to that type of system, what good does it do to start him just because he's a senior?

I think the depth chart tonight at QB shows that Bo was looking for the player who best fit this system. We will have about a 60/40 run/pass ratio this year, if not higher. If that means we need to get the best athlete out there at QB, great. Martinez obviously did something right in camp, because he's the guy the coaches chose to start the opener.

I'm especially fond of the guys who really think that there's no way we can win the big 12 or even a MNC with Martinez/Green at QB...like Lee really did anything last year to make people believe he's got a better chance to do get us there. Do you really think if he gave us a better chance to win, he'd be 3rd string? Our coaching staff has its faults, but they are not stupid. They did what they think is best for the team.

This season will be brutal for the fans if we have to listen to the "Zac Lee got screwed" camp complain all year long.

Then all the endless whinning, sobbing, conspiracy theories, etc.....anything and everything that can possibly be dreamed up. Wow, it's really something.

I'll give you a couple of my reasons for thinking Lee gives us a better chance to win than Martinez.

More experience generally means less errors. If our running game, defense, and special teams are very good, then our QB needs to not let the other team have easy chances due to turnovers. My fear is that Martinez will have a game like the ISU game Lee had last year. Lee's already experienced that and should be better prepared for it than Martinez. Imagine what would have happened in the OU game if we'd have turned the ball over.

The other reason is based simply on the idea that Lee is a better passer. I think we get more out of a passing QB than with a running QB. Simple as that. Especially with the talent and experience we've got at receiver this year.

Now that's just my opinion and certainly doesn't mean that it's true.

I'll give you a couple of my reasons for thinking Lee gives us a better chance to win than Martinez.

More experience generally means less errors. If our running game, defense, and special teams are very good, then our QB needs to not let the other team have easy chances due to turnovers. My fear is that Martinez will have a game like the ISU game Lee had last year. Lee's already experienced that and should be better prepared for it than Martinez. Imagine what would have happened in the OU game if we'd have turned the ball over.

The other reason is based simply on the idea that Lee is a better passer. I think we get more out of a passing QB than with a running QB. Simple as that. Especially with the talent and experience we've got at receiver this year.

Now that's just my opinion and certainly doesn't mean that it's true.

Two things I thought about this game. First, most of Martinez's passes were good. However, one of the passes later in the game on a hook route to Paul has A LOT of potential to turn into a pick 6 if you're not careful. Hell, it was almost intercepted, and it would have been had the corner read the player sooner and gotten in there quicker.

Second, I think Lee is the most experienced passer on the team, but he also had a pass that went right into the dirt. I think the coaches are starting Martinez because his inexperience and potential for mistakes gives them the best change to be explosive/win, rather than letting the safe pick Lee be the starter. He may not turn the ball over as much, but he also may not make the plays you need to win.

Again, who knows if this is the right way to do things, but it appears this is what the coaches are thinking. Martinez's inexperience but play-making potential ousts Lee's experience and reluctant mindset.

I know exactly what you mean. The funny thing is, Martinez isn't supposed to be the better passer, but he was way more accurate than Lee tonight.

Lee had a few snaps at the end of the game running with guys he hasn't really worked with all camp.

Martinez had the luxury of being anointed the starter, and he still made some pretty bad throws if I'm not mistaken. Of course I only have the highlights so I haven't seen any of them and can only go by the radio call. But these are completely non-comparable situations. The only players we had the opportunity to compare in-game today were Taylor and Cody.

Taylor had quite a few poorly thrown balls. Atleast one that would have been a pick against a BCS team. Cody's miss thrown ball was likely a pick- he has a tendency to sail balls when in games. However, if Green can stretch the field better than Tmart with his arm.. would it be better to play the arm QB and if need of an elusive runner just use Rex out of the wildcat?