QB Race

All im gonna say is the zone read will not work against alot of teams that have a pulse. How many times did we run that play??? 8 times???

Isn't that kindof the point? Get teams to key into defensive scheming against a running offense, to open up our downfield passing game? As I type that, it makes me consider downfield passing game... chuckleshuffle

Yes.... But we really dont know how good Taylor is throwing downfield yet???? If he isnt very good throwing downfield then its pretty easy to defend.

My opinion was that Martinez looked pretty sharp in the passing game. Good passes (except for 1 or two that got away from him), good field of vision, and good pocket presence. Even over the middle, which was a problem with QB play last year. Unfortunately looking sharp against a bottom-of-the-league D does not a good offense make. Time will tell I suppose.

This question was about his THROWING ABILITY...the reporter asked how hard he's had to work to improve his passing, he said not that hard at all because he's "always been able to throw" but no one has been able to see it...yes he's cocky, but he did not say he didn't work hard to become starting QB.

I'll give T-mart credit for having a great pair of legs and a very explosive burst when he starts running. He tore WKU from their shoes yesterday. but can he handle himself against top notch teams like Texas A&M, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma and such? Split back Option Read is a nice tool against a weaker opponent, but do you really think ranked teams won't be able to shut it down if they know its coming?

So before you think T-Mart is capable of taking us all the way this year, ask yourself can T-Mart run 40-50 yards against Texas, Missouri, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma?

I will deem him a Crouch clone on the day that he hits an Iowa linebacker so hard, that the dazed young man will require smelling salts to come back into consciousness.

Edit: I will also require him to score a touchdown on the play.

lol!

Oh yeah, I remember that play well. Wow!

Hey, I agree he's got 10,000 country miles to go to be at Crouch's level. But he's the first I've seen since Eric that has a shot. The guy can "accerate" in a big way.

I'll give T-mart credit for having a great pair of legs and a very explosive burst when he starts running. He tore WKU from their shoes yesterday. but can he handle himself against top notch teams like Texas A&M, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma and such? Split back Option Read is a nice tool against a weaker opponent, but do you really think ranked teams won't be able to shut it down if they know its coming?

So before you think T-Mart is capable of taking us all the way this year, ask yourself can T-Mart run 40-50 yards against Texas, Missouri, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma?

Oh, that's variable not under his control to a large extent (blocking). But if he has a seam? Yep......he's GONE. Texas, Missou, OU, or whoever.

I don't get it how anyone thinks Lee is getting screwed. He competed for the job with everyone else and from reports the coaches were all in agreement about the pecking order decided last Monday. I thought TMart really did well for a rs freshmen and that Green actually improved as advertised. As far as Lee being listed as #3 I have not seen any depth chart stating such. It will play itself out and we will know more in several weeks. As a reference to past history I remember when Brandon Jackson was listed as the #4 running back years ago and we all saw how that changed. After watching last night I think the coaches got it right.

I don't get it how anyone thinks Lee is getting screwed. He competed for the job with everyone else and from reports the coaches were all in agreement about the pecking order decided last Monday. I thought TMart really did well for a rs freshmen and that Green actually improved as advertised. As far as Lee being listed as #3 I have not seen any depth chart stating such. It will play itself out and we will know more in several weeks. As a reference to past history I remember when Brandon Jackson was listed as the #4 running back years ago and we all saw how that changed. After watching last night I think the coaches got it right.

Since their hasnt been a depth chart released do we really know that Lee is listed at #3 for sure. This couldve been done by design to get TMart and Green more time to see how they look in a game. Who knows maybe Lee starts next week. By the end of the Idaho game we will know which QB is going to take us to the promise land.

I thought Martin-ez looked pretty good throwing the ball. Greene still looks like a dear in the headlights, although more confident. Lee got in late so it's hard to say, but he's runs so straight up and down. Martin-ez looked ready and confident from the word go. He was pretty exciting to watch, but how will that translate against top 30 competition?

I agree that against good defense's who see guys all the time with speed like Martin-ez, he won't be able to just run right up the middle for 30yds.

One thing no one stated in this whole thread yet is that it was our first game against a terrible team. I'm sure the coaches kept it VERY vanilla so as not to give away anything. It seems like we ran the same 6 or 7 plays the whole game. Such as not throwing the ball downfield for any of the QBs...it didn't seem like we even attempted to do that, so maybe we haven't seen the full skill set of these guys 100%??

The thing that I kept thinking while I was watching the post-game interviews was, "This is a younger version of Bo." He answers questions the same way Bo does, with a small caveat: he isn't as faithful as Bo is to the 'daily competition' base answer. Taylor's answer is, "I won, fool, now get out da way." I will be much more interested to see what he has to say after a loss than a win. In four years I'm bound to see it once or twice.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade either because he is an exciting player, but the reality is that it was against Western Kentucky. While I hope he does turn out to be even better than the second coming of Eric Crouch, we'll have to see how he does against better defenses.

:yeah Until he runs wild against Texas and wins a couple of NC go along with his multiple heismans he is nothing close to Eric Crouch yet.

Its was Western Kentucky, hold the Kool Aid!!!