QB Race

Flat wrong.

I feel like we can celebrate Martinez's debut without having to put down a guy like Zac that gave his all for us last year.

But to each his own.

agreed, the fact is all of our qbs work their butts off day in and day out, they all deserve a little respect and will do their best for us when their name gets called, and thats really all we can ask of them

Hey I appreciate all the work Zac Lee has done and the effort he has given to make us a better football team. He has put in his time and got his chance last year and will now be a great backup and sideline "headset coach." It is a fact though that he is not the best qb we have. It is also shocking to me how people on this board can be so ignorant and will rip on someone when they try to share their point of view, which was a legitimate point of view all along, but somehow think that they are these all knowing, most knowledgeable fans ever, and anyone who disagrees with them is stupid and has no clue what they are talking about.

I dont care what you all think. Lee got screwed. He is our best option at having a great season and now because you all think Tmart is the next thing best to sliced bread he will get all the accolades. I personally think that Lee got a huge slap in the face and i am not happy about it. I know 95% of you think otherwise but its a buncha crap. If i was Lee i would have flipped the coaches off when they asked him to go in. He IS a leader. He can throw the ball better than any other qb. I do not have a problem with Tmart playing. He can have an impact on this team. But against teams like washington, texas, Mizzou, and oklahoma he will not have the success he had tonight against an 0-21 team. The state of nebraska looks at Tmart as the next coming of the greates heisman candidate ever and he is not. I personally wish him the best success but its not going to happen. We WILL LOSE 3 games this year. Mark my words

• Fire 3

I dont care what you all think. Lee got screwed. He is our best option at having a great season and now because you all think Tmart is the next thing best to sliced bread he will get all the accolades. I personally think that Lee got a huge slap in the face and i am not happy about it. I know 95% of you think otherwise but its a buncha crap. If i was Lee i would have flipped the coaches off when they asked him to go in. He IS a leader. He can throw the ball better than any other qb. I do not have a problem with Tmart playing. He can have an impact on this team. But against teams like washington, texas, Mizzou, and oklahoma he will not have the success he had tonight against an 0-21 team. The state of nebraska looks at Tmart as the next coming of the greates heisman candidate ever and he is not. I personally wish him the best success but its not going to happen. We WILL LOSE 3 games this year. Mark my words

So glad you know so much more about NU cfb talent than Bo/SW. I'm sure USC or somebody will be knocking on your door shortly.

So glad you know so much more about NU cfb talent than Bo/SW. I'm sure USC or somebody will be knocking on your door shortly.

Im not claiming to know more. I just dont think we can be as successful against top notch teams with this type of O

he's right in one aspect. Lee got screwed. He didn't get enough time at all to show what he could do if they were truly going to give everyone a chance to prove themselves, he got screwed. Now this is the 1st thread I've been on since the game. T-Mart looked really, really good with his legs... I also thought he was very confident with what I saw of his passes, something that I didn't know if he would be as a freshman. I still think Lee is a better passer, and it seemed like he was trying to make something happen with his legs when he got in there for a bit, and honestly didn't look terrible. It'll be interesting to see if he is a straight 3rd string qb or if he gets a chance to compete for the starting job next week before the Washington game.

• Fire 1

i don't think we have any idea of the starting qb yet. but you got to play the best player. who knows how the season will play out, but losing only three games would be an improvement from last year.

i would not count out lee yet, but t-mart and green showed a lot. this is a good thing. lee probably does offer the most stability. but with t-mart, we can do more of a spread offense, and that may suit this team the best, given our playmaking wide outs and how well burkhead can run the wildcat. i am just excited, personally.

• Fire 1

i do not disagree with you at all. Tmart did look good with his legs against an 0-21 team. I just dont see this being successful against top tier opponents. I wish the best for tmart. i just absolutely think Lee is getting F*C*@. Im sorry for the language but i truly feel this way. He put his heart and soul on the line last year and now has no chance to prove himself on the field against opponents.

All we really know from this game is that Taylor has a little magic in those feet and does not lack for confidence. He looked good on those runs.

I suppose we also know Cody has made strides in his passing. And that Zac was not in the competition based on what Bo said.

Otherwise we're not much different than where we were before today's game, and for those who have heard more about practices or scrimmages this fall camp, the news about Martinez's running isn't much news at all (same as last year, when Cody's 50-yard TD run wowed guys like me but hardly surprised those familiar with his abilities).

Obviously none of this means very much.

Generally, when you have a senior QB like Zac, you get behind him as the leader. Clearly the staff does not believe this to be the case. Whether it's Zac's leadership, ability, or toughness - they are evaluating Zac pretty negatively, far more than anyone going off of practice reports would have expected. But they are the coaches.

I will say that the negativity about Zac from the fans is beyond annoying. People are celebrating Zac's demotion. I will cheer for the kid as I did for Green last year when he got his start, but I was giddy as anything when Zac came back in against Oklahoma. If that happens again this year, I will be happy as heck for that kid. He deserves to be the QB this year, IMO, which never would have precluded Taylor Magic from getting 5-10 plays a game to showcase those moves.

But it is what it is...

• Fire 2

i certainly feel bad for LEE. for some reason, i think BO just does not like him, i do not know if it is personal or what. i do not think he is getting screwed necessarily, but it is unfortunate. i think the reason he did not play much this game is because the other two need the most experience. look at it this way, the qb's with the least amount of playing time, played the most. so it makes sense that way.

Maybe I don't drink the right Kool-Aid, but I thought NU would lose 3 games if Drew Brees was the QB? :dunno Of course I want to be wrong, but this schedule isn't a cakewalk like people tend to think it is. I like Lee, and it isn't fair to blame all the offenses' woes just on him. But he had to go out and perform this fall, and coaches thought T-Mart got the nod THIS week. It frustrates me, but this could become an ongoing saga.

I can appreciate the support for Lee. He is our best option imo this year. I hope he gets back in the lineup and shows everyone up. Im just disappointed that everyone is putting him on the back burner. Like i said before im not a huge fan of the spread because i think against top notch opponents we dont stand a chance.

Im not claiming to know more. I just dont think we can be as successful against top notch teams with this type of O

I agree in the sense that Lee did not have a real shot to prove himself. But in order for me to buy your argument, you need to give me some kind of logical argument as to why you think that we won't be as successful against top notch teams.

Let's take a moment to reconsider the NU/ISU game last year. I don't think ISU would qualify as a "top-notch" team. But for whatever reason, Lee was still ineffective in running the offense. I remember feeling nervous every time Lee was pressured in the backfield last season because it would end up as an incompletion or a sack. Martinez seems to have real mobility.

I will wait until later in the season to entertain the idea of him being the best running quarterback we have seen since Eric Crouch. With that being said, I see Martinez being a lot more mobile than Lee. Are there any instances from last season where you remember Lee being pressured and taking off down the field? I'm sure it must have happened at some point in the season -- but no particular memory comes to mind.

My argument to that is this. the turnovers didnt help a bit and that was due to helu mcneil and paul. each of which had turnover inside the redzone. you cant really compare that game to anything. bad effin day all the way around.