QB Race

I don't like how this story developed. If Martinez really is the guy and he beat out Lee, I'll concede that for sure. I want the best guy out there. But this whole situation is so sketchy. You wouldn't think that a guy would lose his job because of injury you know what I mean, and that seems to be the reason why Lee is in the doghouse.

I'd like for that to be wrong because Pelini is a class guy.

But, I'll drink the koolaid and here's to hoping that Martinez is the game changer we're hyping him to be. :cheers:koolaid2:

I think we all tend to be skeptics at this point because, granted Ganz and Z Taylor filled in for our program admirably, we haven't had a great QB here in some time. I'm talking a great QB...done, done, done....know what I mean?

Lee was a top Juco guy with 3 yrs in the program, Greene was the new recruit and the future, Keller was the hot shot prototype, Ganz the underdog, etc, etc...

So IF, and that's a big IF, Martin-ez is ready to start, and he is the best, then I say let's do it. And let him prove it to all of us who are logically skeptical based on past performance of our last 10 yrs of QBs....Are you ready to buy in 100% a redshirt freshman with ZERO game experience playing against Texass on 10-16? How about going on the road to Aggieland? What about always tough Boulder?

Look, I always wonder how an Adrian Peterson can be his amazing self as a freshman, or Tebow can get quality minutes as a freshman, or Travis Lewis can dominate as a freshman, or Percy Harvin...or any other freshman out there just making f'ing plays for their team; but for some reason, especially in our offense we can't get a guy more than 1 catch for 3 yds (Antonio Bell, anyone?)...

I'm just saying we know at LEAST Lee is up for a challange and is a gamer. If he is healthy as a 5th yr senior, I just naturally trust that more than an unproven, untested redshirt...it's only logical, not just dreaming up excuses.

Hey, tomorrow we find out! I'm stoked and I think it's the first game towards a march to some serious championship game playin...I trust our players and our coaches...Go Big Red

Look, I always wonder how an Adrian Peterson can be his amazing self as a freshman, or Tebow can get quality minutes as a freshman, or Travis Lewis can dominate as a freshman, or Percy Harvin or any other freshman out there just making f'ing plays for their team; but for some reason, especially in our offense we can't get a guy more than 1 catch for 3 yds (Antonio Bell, anyone?)...

I think the answer here is that they were all elite recruits (as well as Lewis being a redshirt, I believe). Swifty caught 45 balls for 641 yards and 7 touchdowns as a redshirt freshman...he just wasn't the top recruit, flashy athlete kind of guy. I guess we just haven't raked in comparable talent lately at the skill positions.

Lee isn't getting "slapped in the face". He's getting BEAT by better qb play by Green & Tmart (who are also far, far better athletes)this Fall camp.

But go ahead, keep dreaming up your excuses.....

Why don't you learn to read. Read the whole thread, then comment. Don't reply till you do that. Then your post would be a lot more educated than this.

The part about Lee getting slapped in the face has come from him not getting a chance to play fully healthy and prove what he can do in a game without Bo pulling the reins back. He played hurt all of last year and laid it all on the line for us, I do believe that he should be given an opportunity.

But why don't you read back through the thread. It may get you back up to speed.

I'm just sayin since Ahman, D. Evans, Newcombe, etc...it's been about 10-12 yrs since we've had any freshman be a real baller for us. So that's why i'm not jumping on the Martin-ez bandwagon. I didn't jump on the Greene bandwagon last year either. If he proves me wrong I wouldn't even take it as a loss. I have no pride. Just N pride, which means we win either way. I have been a Lee supporter, sure, but that's just cuz I think he gives us the best chance to win.

If Martin-ez takes that mantle, great...but don't get frustrated with those of us who think an untested redshirt is the answer JUST YET

BTW, if Lee had been promised a job and was hurt, then I think there would be a 'slap in the face' case.

but because Bo doesn't seem to promise players anything but a fair shot, I just don't see how it's a real slap in the face. I mean, for all real intents and purposes, Lee didn't play amazing last year, injured or not. Then he missed spring ball. The only way I see it is that it really had to be a 100% open race to start fall practice. Sure, i would guess Lee would have the upper hand what being a starter last year and a 5th yr senior, but if it's open, it's open. If he got his chance to earn the job and was really better after healing from surgery, then we might have a situation. But if Martin-ez or Greeene really proved themselves better with equal opportunity, then sure, one of them has the right to start...just my 2 cents on the 'slap' subject....

Lee isn't getting "slapped in the face". He's getting BEAT by better qb play by Green & Tmart (who are also far, far better athletes)this Fall camp.

Why don't you learn to read. Read the whole thread, then comment. Don't reply till you do that. Then your post would be a lot more educated than this.

The part about Lee getting slapped in the face has come from him not getting a chance to play fully healthy and prove what he can do in a game without Bo pulling the reins back. He played hurt all of last year and laid it all on the line for us, I do believe that he should be given an opportunity.

But why don't you read back through the thread. It may get you back up to speed.

Sorry, but this sounds like 5 year olds playing organized Tee-Ball. Nobody wins or loses, we all get a pretty participation award. I don't care if he sold his sister to a band of traveling gypsys in trade for a win. If he is not the best QB we have in the coaches eye's then the only opportunity he deserves is to get first choice of which bench he wants to sit on. This is big boy football, if his feelings are hurt maybe he should look into the Chess club.

If he starts, great! Lee is our man! (but unless T-Mart goes MIA tomorrow he isn't) If he doesn't, O'well, better luck next time.

Sorry, but this sounds like 5 year olds playing organized Tee-Ball. Nobody wins or loses, we all get a pretty participation award. I don't care if he sold his sister to a band of traveling gypsys in trade for a win. If he is not the best QB we have in the coaches eye's then the only opportunity he deserves is to get first choice of which bench he wants to sit on. This is big boy football, if his feelings are hurt maybe he should look into the Chess club.

If he starts, great! Lee is our man! (but unless T-Mart goes MIA tomorrow he isn't) If he doesn't, O'well, better luck next time.

I don't know, if you've seen his sister you might think twice.

The buzz came from within the program from players (see PJ above) talking about their experiences at practice. It did not come from internet junkies like ourselves. He did give himself that "T-Magic" nickname, but other than that I don't think it is fair of us to assume that he is cocky. He has not been in front of the media yet.

If he passing ability is what Niles said it was above then I think we have a football player here fellas.

Eh. If that's the case, why is Green second?

That has got to be the fishiest part of this deal to me.

It's one thing if Taylor truly has unseated last year's incumbent starter who improved. It's another thing when it looks like the incumbent just fell off the map in coaches' eyes. It's going to be really interesting to see if Green does indeed get the 2nd quarter as some have said. To me, that is a rather unfortunate indictment on Taylor and it is an absolute slap in the face to Lee. Some may think he deserves it...but we'll agree to disagree on that. A much more preferable situation would be if coaches got behind Taylor and started him the whole game.

I fully agree with you here. I believe that Lee is getting slapped in the face by the coaches which is sad imo. He led this team to 10 wins last year and had a hell of a great bowl game. If Tmarts throwing skills have improved beyond lee's then i can see why they want him to start. but before one snap has taken place this fall live Lee has lost his position and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Go back and watch film from last season and count how many times he overthrew, underthrew, and just flat out missed the receiver. I dont care if he was injured. The man couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a scoop shovel. He DID NOT lead the team last year to 10 wins. He was lucky we had the best defense in all of football or we would have been lucky to make it to .500. All of the people who have been calling for Lee to be the starter is just mind blowing to me. The guy is not a good football player, imo. I don't care how good he knows the offense, if he cant make the plays then he should be wearing the headset on the sidelines. If he does get the start I hope he proves me wrong. However, what is the point in having him number 2? Get the younger player in Green in there at number 2 so he gets more reps and can improve. Lee is gone after this year, no point for him to get much action at all if he isn't gonna be THE GUY. Lets go T-Magic!!!

Frosh will make Frosh mistakes. we lose at least 3 games

A bad Zac Lee will and did make those same exact mistakes even though he is not a Frosh. Let the younger qb learn on the run and make those same mistakes so we are better off in the future. Cody Green was no worse then Zac last year, no better either.

The buzz came from within the program from players (see PJ above) talking about their experiences at practice. It did not come from internet junkies like ourselves. He did give himself that "T-Magic" nickname, but other than that I don't think it is fair of us to assume that he is cocky. He has not been in front of the media yet.

If he passing ability is what Niles said it was above then I think we have a football player here fellas.

It's one thing if Taylor truly has unseated last year's incumbent starter who improved. It's another thing when it looks like the incumbent just fell off the map in coaches' eyes. It's going to be really interesting to see if Green does indeed get the 2nd quarter as some have said. To me, that is a rather unfortunate indictment on Taylor and it is an absolute slap in the face to Lee. Some may think he deserves it...but we'll agree to disagree on that. A much more preferable situation would be if coaches got behind Taylor and started him the whole game.

I fully agree with you here. I believe that Lee is getting slapped in the face by the coaches which is sad imo. He led this team to 10 wins last year and had a hell of a great bowl game. If Tmarts throwing skills have improved beyond lee's then i can see why they want him to start. but before one snap has taken place this fall live Lee has lost his position and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Go back and watch film from last season and count how many times he overthrew, underthrew, and just flat out missed the receiver. I dont care if he was injured. The man couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a scoop shovel. He DID NOT lead the team last year to 10 wins. He was lucky we had the best defense in all of football or we would have been lucky to make it to .500. All of the people who have been calling for Lee to be the starter is just mind blowing to me. The guy is not a good football player, imo. I don't care how good he knows the offense, if he cant make the plays then he should be wearing the headset on the sidelines. If he does get the start I hope he proves me wrong. However, what is the point in having him number 2? Get the younger player in Green in there at number 2 so he gets more reps and can improve. Lee is gone after this year, no point for him to get much action at all if he isn't gonna be THE GUY. Lets go T-Magic!!!

I agree that Lee is getting slapped in the face. Wish I knew every knitty gritty detail to this. Does not make sense, I agree with you Zoogies.

This is the most ignorant part of the post above.

Go back and watch film from last season and count how many times he overthrew, underthrew, and just flat out missed the receiver. I dont care if he was injured. The man couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a scoop shovel.

We all know that he could not throw the ball last year. That is why Bo pulled the reins back. You saying that you don't care that he was injured is the most assinine and ignorant statement I have read on this board in awhile. That is like saying Roy Helu didn't have as many yards as I wanted him to get when we all know that he was not near 100% after the Mizzou game. Educate yourself on Zac Lee's situation and then come back here.

I do believe that Martinez and Green will be better than Zac Lee is in their respective careers. What I also believe is that Zac Lee deserves his chance to lead this offense FULLY HEALTHY and without Bo pulling the reins back. He played hurt and laid it all on the line for us last year.

Im fully educated on Zac Lees situation, thank you very much. I saw what a fully healthy Zac Lee was capable of in the first half of the season last year and that is not the qb I want on the field. I didn't want it last year and I don't want it now. Don't try to tell me that he racked up all kinds of yards and we smoked those cream puffs either. He was making all kinds of terrible throws then and it carried over the rest of the year, injury or no injury. We started playing against real defenses and our offense tanked. No Lee For Me. Zac Lee had his chance and now it is time to move on. If the coaches can't see that (Watson) I will be very disappointed.

Im fully educated on Zac Lees situation, thank you very much. I saw what a fully healthy Zac Lee was capable of in the first half of the season last year and that is not the qb I want on the field. I didn't want it last year and I don't want it now. Don't try to tell me that he racked up all kinds of yards and we smoked those cream puffs either. He was making all kinds of terrible throws then and it carried over the rest of the year, injury or no injury. We started playing against real defenses and our offense tanked. No Lee For Me. Zac Lee had his chance and now it is time to move on. If the coaches can't see that (Watson) I will be very disappointed.

C/ATT	YDS	AVG	TD	INT
Z. Lee	15/18	238	15.9	1	0

C/ATT	YDS	AVG	TD	INT
Z. Lee	27/35	340	12.6	4	0

C/ATT	YDS	AVG	TD	INT
Z. Lee	15/22	213	14.2	2	1

I'm sorry, what?

Frosh will make Frosh mistakes. we lose at least 3 games

A bad Zac Lee will and did make those same exact mistakes even though he is not a Frosh. Let the younger qb learn on the run and make those same mistakes so we are better off in the future. Cody Green was no worse then Zac last year, no better either.

Better off?????? A healthy Lee gives us a legitimate opportunity to make a run this year for sure at the CC. Possibly NC. That may be a reach no matter who starts but its a possibility. Let a frosh learn on the run, throw him to the wolves and we MIGHT win the north. BIG MIGHT. Our O was bad last year. Due to Lee and Oline injuries that forced the coaches to coach ultra conservatve. A healthy Lee will give us an opportunity to be better than last year. And frankly all we need is to be a little bit better. The O doesnt have to be an alabama 09 or florida type O. Just has to sustain drives and score some points while letting the D rest up. If we go up to Wash or during the UT game in the 4th quarter down 10 with 8 mins left i want Lee to run the O to give us a chance. I dont think Tmart can handle that situation yet. YET. And green cant for sure. He was happy feet and sweating bullits during the start of the Oklahoma game.

1. Martinez would be the best running QB we've had since Jammal Lord.

2. Jammal Lord nearly single-handedly beat Texas, even with a Craig Bohl defense.

3. Zac Lee couldn't get a TD on Texas even when Niles Paul gave him the ball at the 10 yard line. He only got a TD on Oklahoma when Prince gave him the ball at the 1 yard line.

4. Martinez will make mistakes. So will/did Lee. But Taylor can make plays with his legs that Lee simply can't make. The jury is still out on making plays with his arm.

5. The offense last year was terrible. It was beyond terrible. It was one of the worst offenses I've ever seen. Anybody who isn't at least open to the idea of having a new QB is out of their mind.

This whole argument is stupid, because no one participating has seen Zac Lee or Taylor Martinez or Cody Green all fall. It's been a competition that only the coaches have been able to evaluate. For anyone here to question their judgement without seeing a single practice is just ridiculous. Whoever's in the lead in the competition will get the start tomorrow, and that will be our first chance to evaluate anything on our own. And within the next few weeks, I'm sure it will all sort itself out, and by the end of the Washington game, it'll be pretty clear who we want at QB. Until then, just chill out.

With all that said, it kind of seems like people are picking sides, and that's stupid too. It seems like some people here are actually hoping Martinez goes out and fails so their personal views are validated. Some people are ripping on Lee even though he played all of last year with a bum elbow. People are ripping on Green even though he was a true freshman. Stop picking sides. How do you not hope that Martinez is going to show up and be able to manage the game, and throw the ball well, on top of his crazy running abilities. How do you not hope that Lee hasn't come back from his surgery even stronger, a better leader, and a more able runner? How do you not hope that Cody's gotten a better grip on the offense?

Pelini's going to start the guy who he thinks will help the team win. Bo Pelini knows more about football then anyone on this board. He knows more about what it takes to win football games than anyone on this board. And he hates losing way, way more than anyone on this board. So please, everybody just CHILL OUT.