Do you think Bo Pelini needs to be a little nicer and show some respect?

I'm gonna agree with the OP. I really think Bo needs to show some class. He is all about being in control and I think it is a little ridiculous. Especially after today's press conference. I'm sick of him saying that there will be continual competition in practice, especially at the quarterback position. (This is a pretty obvious statement. If there wasn't competition then I would be pretty worried.) If Bo wants people to stop asking the same questions over and over then he should start giving some straight answers. Everybody in this state knows that he already knows who will be starting this Saturday. I'm getting very tired with the games that he is playing. Combine this nonsense with his tantrums he throws on the sidelines as well as him always chewing out players and I'm getting sick of it. Show some class Bo and do things the right way.

Oh and to the poster who said that Bo's job is not in PR...I really hope that you are joking. If he truly just wants to coach then he needs to go back to either being an assistant coach or go coach high school football. Bo gets paid the big bucks BECAUSE he is more than just a football coach.

HuskerBCS.... I have a video to show you that has McBride and Osborne in it at a practice. I think it was part of a show called the day in the life of a Husker from the mid 90's. You don't think that Osborne ever chewed out players? You are dreaming. Wow, he layed into Buckhalter something fierce in the video. McBride was berating players like Wistrom and Peter constantly. This is football. Do you want the players to be coddled? Do you want the team to be a bunch of Corey McKeon's? No thanks.

You guys are unbelievable. The Culture At Nebraska Has Definitely Changed. :facepalm:

No, it hasn't. Tom Osborne has mentioned the pressure to win from the fanbase several times. What's changed is the media attention and scrutiny. There is a lot more of it. Most seem to prefer an honest representation of oneself, whether it be a calm, serene personality bourne out of years of unrealistic expectations(can't win a championship every year) or a fiery perfectionist who has little patience for media(and message board)idiocy. What you see is what you get. Bo seems to understand the priorities around NU football, respects the traditions, and is building up a program that had lost it's chi, it's essence.

Once again....it's FOOTBALL, not intramurals, brotha. It's a rather violent and intense sport. :bang

Watch his interview from Tuesday. He can't sit still. He is amped most of the day, from what I see. I just hope he gets to relax and have a beer when he gets home, and is able to put the day behind him. He has an intense desire to be successful and he accepts the responsibility of this position. Winning is priority #1, winning a certain way is priority #2, having players and coaches backs is priority #3.... coddling the media is kinda low on that list.

That's the way it is, that is the way it's going to be, and that's the way it was.

I'm watching all these interviews and it looks like Pelini needs to take a chill pill and show some more class and respect. With the way he paces the sidelines and talks to media no wonder all these calls are going against us. He also banned the media for three days which is weird and none else does. He seems to make rude or smart comments to the media and seems angry a lot. I just wish he would be a little more friendly. I don't want people to start viewing our program like that as we are very classy and good people and fans here in Nebraska. Hes from Ohio and may not get it. I would just like to know what your thoughts and opinions are on this. Or is it just me that sees this behavior?

Bo's not the first coach to have media conflicts. Mack Brown did the exact same thing to reporters for posting an injury during practice on twitter. What's the statement about, "He's from Ohio and may not get it"? Does something about being from the state of Ohio matter? Fact is Bo came from a tough, blue collar city and upbringing and sometimes that rough exterior comes through a bit too much. Bottom line is as long as Bo treats his players well and they have healthy relationships and have a solid program on and off the field, he can throw piss baloons at reporters for all I care.

Nothing against Ohio. I'm just saying we have a certain tradition here he may not get. Turner Gill should be the coach anyway. Or someone from Nebraska. No one has proven anything since Osborne left except proving they can lose. Bo has lost 8 games in two seasons and has yet to prove himself. Once he wins a title he can talk all he wants but until them he needs to relax.

Also I'm not asking him to be a pushover. I'm just asking him to show some class and respect and relax a bit. All of this anger towards the officials WILL cost us a big game eventually.

See Devaney, Bob.

Yippee.....I personally know players on the team, both past and present, who couldn't give a rats a$$ about Bo Pelini and are really tired of his childish displays of behavior during games and more importantly practice.

If this is true, they are probably C******n holdover wusses. If if were that bad, they can quit.

Bo is grooming these young men for the rest of their lives. Talk about setting a good example.

Great point. Real life is hard, sometimes you get your butt chewed in real life, sometimes you get fired, get your ride repoed, or get your house foreclosed on when you suck. Statements like this is why kids fly off the handle the first time they come across a real obstacle in life, and end up shooting up a classroom or a mall.

Glad that Bo knows what tough love is.

Bo's job is not PR, it's coaching.

Bo's job is coaching which includes X's and O's, film study, player development, recruiting, managing his coaching staff, etc. --- and personal mentoring of the players in all realms of life (like any other educator --- this is what makes distinct a college coach from a pro coach --- one is an educator/coach the other just a coach) --- and standing in representation of the institution --- so... yes PR is part of the job.

Bo does some of his job very well --- X's and O's, player development, etc. very very well (easy to see and measure). Other aspects of his job --- like mentoring players and the academic side we are not (at least I am not) close enough to evaluate (not easy to see or measure). Then the representation of the institution and PR he does rather poorly (again easy to see and measure).

So... do I think Bo needs to be nicer and show some respect? Well...yes he does.

This has got to be the stupidest thread ever. "Oh Bo, please stop being Mr. Meanypants to the press and show some love to the refs". Sheesh.

I don't understand the hivemind backlash any time someone mentions something about Pelini's temper and mood. No one is suggesting that he coddles players and gives the refs a reacharound, just that he chills out a little bit towards the refs and media and acts a little more appropriately.

And whoever said Bo's job is coaching and not PR. lmao. Part of his job is PR. He's the headguy. He is the face of the football program. Like it or not, he has to deal with the press and build some sort of working relationship with them

This has got to be the stupidest thread ever. "Oh Bo, please stop being Mr. Meanypants to the press and show some love to the refs". Sheesh.

I don't understand the hivemind backlash any time someone mentions something about Pelini's temper and mood. No one is suggesting that he coddles players and gives the refs a reacharound, just that he chills out a little bit towards the refs and media and acts a little more appropriately.

And whoever said Bo's job is coaching and not PR. lmao. Part of his job is PR. He's the headguy. He is the face of the football program. Like it or not, he has to deal with the press and build some sort of working relationship with them

You are quite right --- he does need to be better in PR. Now... something that has not been mentioned that is a factor --- to be really proficient in PR one needs to have good public speaking skills, be articulate and have an engaging personality. Bo is not a public speaker at all. He is not overly articulate and well... his personality is not magnetic by any means. Plus he seems disinterested in all this anyway. But... even if he became more interested in being a better ambassador of NU --- he seems somewhat limited in his ability to play the role. So... he'll never be great at PR but he certainly could be better.

Like it or not, he has to deal with the press and build some sort of working relationship with them

Well, when they learn that it's wrong to be calling parents about injuries that they don't even know about, maybe he'll show them some respect. Until then, I fully expect him to abuse them like the annoying nags that they are.