Do you think Bo Pelini needs to be a little nicer and show some respect?

This is the last thing Im going to say in this post......

I don't want the face of our program chewing out players constantly, dropping f-bombs constantly, chewing out refs constantly, throwing childish temper tantrums and generally treating people disrespectfully. I think Bo is a great defensive coach and I like him. I just want him to do things the right way and doing the things I mentioned above is the WRONG way.

Then you must have hated the last 40 years of Husker football. Callahan, Solich, Osborne and Devaney constantly chewed out the refs - all of 'em. Callahan, Solich and Devaney dropped F-bombs out there, constantly. Osborne would drop a "dadgum" on the sidelines once in a while, but it was rare. Callahan, Solich, Osborne and Devaney all would get in the face of a player messing up. Osborne threw several "temper tantrums" a year. Devaney was pretty much always in a temper tantrum. Solich and Callahan threw temper tantrums on occasion.

Basically you're saying you don't like the kind of behavior that about 97% of all college football coaches show.

Sure doesn't seem like Respect to me....

Can't see youtube stuff. But really, I don't care if Bo was yelling at the officials or a player. This is high-stakes, big business football. It's not a freakin' daycare. If you don't like getting a free education and getting yelled at when you deserve to be, then quit. If you don't like fire and brimstone, maybe you should watch a chess tournament or a Texa$$ hold em' tourney.

I don't want the face of our program chewing out players constantly, dropping f-bombs constantly, chewing out refs constantly, throwing childish temper tantrums and generally treating people disrespectfully. I think Bo is a great defensive coach and I like him. I just want him to do things the right way and doing the things I mentioned above is the WRONG way.

I think Bo is all about doing things the right way and you have nothing to worry about there.

All coaches chew out refs and throw temper tantrums and drop F bombs. It's just the reality. There is nothing wrong with this. Coaches chew out players too. Players have to have thick skin to compete. At the end of the day, it's all good. Usually.

Bill Callahan was one of the most level headed, "classiest" coaches to the media I've seen, and even with the smooth PR front, it didn't stop him from dropping f-bombs or screaming at refs.

I'm watching all these interviews and it looks like Pelini needs to take a chill pill and show some more class and respect. With the way he paces the sidelines and talks to media no wonder all these calls are going against us. He also banned the media for three days which is weird and none else does. He seems to make rude or smart comments to the media and seems angry a lot. I just wish he would be a little more friendly. I don't want people to start viewing our program like that as we are very classy and good people and fans here in Nebraska. Hes from Ohio and may not get it. I would just like to know what your thoughts and opinions are on this. Or is it just me that sees this behavior?

We need to fire him. We definately need a coach that will be nice to the press. Woody Hayes was ALWAYS a nice guy to the press. Never lashed out at anyone. Hire someone who is a great PR guy. Bill Callahan was better than Bo Pelini.

If you don't get the sarcasm throughout that whole post you have no business here.

You guys are unbelievable. The Culture At Nebraska Has Definitely Changed. :facepalm:

how?

:troll:

Ive been a member of this board longer than you have MOD. I take great offense to you calling me a troll. Just because this is my opinion and you dont like it. Get real.

It's always amusing when someone pulls out the "I've been here longer" card...

In a word, no.

I am sick and tired of people saying Bo is a mean guy or just being mean to be mean or needs to show more respect. His attitude is what MOST of us wanted back in 2003 AND 2007, and then complained that Solich and Callahan didn't show enough emotion or looked like they didn't care as much as they should and that their teams weren't tough. You can't have it both ways.

Do not lie.

Do you really want to go back to that? If you think Bo needs to be a little nicer, go watch 2004-2007 tapes and tell me how much you like your mediocre "Media Savvy Coach"

I wanted Bo to be the head coach in 2003, because of his passion and fire. He is a Nebraska guy because he was on the staff that year and understood what it means to be here. He understands Nebraska and he gets his players to play to their best and beyond, and his players respect him, unlike Mike Leach or Mark Mangino. His attitude has turned our program around when it was at it's absolute worse in November 2007 and nothing current looked like it could save us. Sure, there were/are some doubters that didn't like the move basically based on his attitude, and they have fair arguments, but don't be hypocrites.

If you want to know more, ask legitimate questions about scheme, learn the game, not just "How do you feel about so and so", go ask the position coaches if you don't like Bo's responses, don't go calling parents to check up on their son when they don't even know anything about it.

Seriously, Bo is sick and tired of the same questions over and over and over and you would be too. After a loss, what should he say? "Yeah we played very well, loved the fact we came up short, but give credit to X, they are a heckuva football team, hats off to them, they played tremendous, we aren't there yet, but they made all the plays and we didn't make enough plays and that's on the players to execute, we didn't execute, but we sure coached out there today I tell you."

Or how about "It's too complicated for you to understand". "Geez don't you people have anything better to do, go play in the Sandhills, I'm going to read a real paper like the New York Times". Or how about "A crusty old ****." Bo has not throat slashed the refs either.

Granted that wasn't directed at media, but it's known for being said somewhere.

Would you really want that back? I mean really? Mediocrity to bad levels, with good media skills? Or Top 10 back to national prominence with an in your face attitude us against the world and we're going to kick your ass attitude and I'm the first one going into battle for you guys? Family comes first.

Besides, the media ALWAYS asks stupid questions, stupid questions deserve stupid answers. The heck do you want him to say after a loss? After a win? Ask about the game, scheme, ANYTHING except how he may feel about something SO obvious. Bo is emotional, his emotions have our guys playing on a high level, guys have different ways of doing things. Pete Carroll is all cuddly, Mack Brown is a country boy, Billy C is all professional when he's winning but an idiot when he loses, Bo Pelini is hard love no matter a win or a loss, Tom Osborne was soft spoken and has a big heart, Turner Gill seems to incorporate religion and no swearing to work, and Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin are well just snakes.

But you catch my drift.

He's not dropping F bombs or flipping the reporters off, or even just cursing at them, he is answering very honestly and that's how he feels and if he comes off being not classy then that's your problem. Go root for another team if you're so worked up over a coaches attitude that it makes you question him as a great coach in general. He is getting better at it. If we were losing, I'm sure he might change his styles, but it's working, we are winning, we are moving up.

I'm not saying winning is the end all either. Osborne said it best that it's not about winning or the final score, but how you get there, and they are very different from each other and Osborne says Bo reminds him of the Bobfather.

Bo understands that and that's always been the motto around here. Winning is very important, but shaping them into grown men is always priority number 1A here, with winning being 1B.

His toughness turned us around when nothing else would. Nothing will satisfy Bo. Even if we go 14-0 and shut everyone out 100 to 00, he will still give the same answers and always want more. That's what the best do, they are never satisfied and they want more and different people have different approaches to success.

Some players respond, some don't. Our players, past and present, state they would run through a brick wall for Coach Pelini, and so would I.

• Fire 1

It's funny that we're having this conversation because on my facebook news feed, one of my friends called Bo a whiny douchebag. He was basically saying what the OP has been saying, that it's not classy to yell, no eff-bombs, etc. etc.

Each time, the posters have been bringing up fallacious arguments of confirmation bias. BCS posted youtube videos of Coach Pelini flying off the handle. This proves to him that he needs to be reined in. But he ignores all of the other evidence, of the other 95% of press conferences where he isn't surly and ill-tempered. Especially this year, he's been upbeat and energetic for the most part.

Yes, it is very awkward when a guy is mad and it's very evident. It's only made worse by the fact that these people have to ask the same questions they asked the day before, as if the question didn't already get answered. They also can't postpone the Q&A session until he's cooled off and calmed down because they have deadlines. It's a powder keg.

You're just gonna have to take this as a bad day at the office. You act like a person can't get mad and not express their emotions. He's not cursing AT a person. He's just being rude because he's mad. Tell me that you don't do that and you'll be a liar.

• Fire 1

You guys are unbelievable. The Culture At Nebraska Has Definitely Changed. :facepalm:

Yeah, you're right, it has changed...

It changed the minute Bo got on board and got the program back on track.

Where were you 4 years ago when (yes, sorry to say this) Clownahan was driving this thing into the ground??? Want him back?

how?

:troll:

Ive been a member of this board longer than you have MOD. I take great offense to you calling me a troll. Just because this is my opinion and you dont like it. Get real.

you are acting like a troll. you could of answered my question of "how"? instead you make short comments just to inflame the general populace without justifying your statements.

I dont really feel like I need to justify my comments. Anybody can watch and listen to Bo Pelini and realize that he is a loose cannon. The culture at Nebraska has changed because people dont care HOW we win anymore. I like winning the right way. People just want us to win at all costs. I would rather Nebraska lose every game for the rest of my life but do things the RIGHT way. Respect, Honesty, Compassion, Hard Work, etc...are all things I would like to see return.

Finally the right answer!

I agree.

Reality is this... when we were always winning the fans could be generous and magnanimous and seek after winning the right way and conduct and character mattered.

The culture has changed after a decade of not winning (at least not winning like we used to).

This is reflected here on the board as so many posters could care less whether our coach is classy or crass, a good role model or not, or a fine representative or not --- just so long as he wins. This is so apparent and is as well very disconcerting. I have followed NU football since I graduated 20+ years ago and the past 10 years or so have seen a huge degradation is fan expectations regarding NU being a clean, classy program that represents NU and Nebraska well. What has replaced the sense of "we want NU classy" is an attitude of "we want to win no matter what." It seems that those who basically say that Bo is fine (no matter how poorly he represents NU) so long as he wins is growing. This could be simply a poor sampling size with conclusions drawn from largely those who post on this board --- which may not be representative of the whole. But... if this board is any indication, we have a huge culture shift away from what was to what is now a "win... and we don't care how" mindset.

Finally, I counter those who posit that this thread is lame by saying that this thread is vital --- the integrity of Nebraska, of NU and the extent that Bo represents (or does not) represent that integrity is more critical than wins or losses. Sure ... you can argue that the coach should not be so much a statesman and representative of NU or the state --- and that is probably right --- it is odd that a football coach is so associated with the representation of an entire state --- but it is what it is --- reality is that the NU coach is an ambassador, by definition. That coach can embrace this or ignore the responsibility. Bo seems to not embrace this at all. He is immature, rash, and pretty crass.

I think Bo is a great coach from the X's and O's viewpoint --- and that he develops and uses his players well --- and that he will (and largely has) gotten us on track competitively --- but that he is not a good ambassador of NU or of Nebraskans in general (being an ambassador is, like it or not, what the NU football coach by definition is).

In closing, especially for the younger NU fans, consider that character counts --- not just winning.

In a word, no.

I am sick and tired of people saying Bo is a mean guy or just being mean to be mean or needs to show more respect. His attitude is what MOST of us wanted back in 2003 AND 2007, and then complained that Solich and Callahan didn't show enough emotion or looked like they didn't care as much as they should and that their teams weren't tough. You can't have it both ways.

Do not lie.

Do you really want to go back to that? If you think Bo needs to be a little nicer, go watch 2004-2007 tapes and tell me how much you like your mediocre "Media Savvy Coach"

I wanted Bo to be the head coach in 2003, because of his passion and fire. He is a Nebraska guy because he was on the staff that year and understood what it means to be here. He understands Nebraska and he gets his players to play to their best and beyond, and his players respect him, unlike Mike Leach or Mark Mangino. His attitude has turned our program around when it was at it's absolute worse in November 2007 and nothing current looked like it could save us. Sure, there were/are some doubters that didn't like the move basically based on his attitude, and they have fair arguments, but don't be hypocrites.

If you want to know more, ask legitimate questions about scheme, learn the game, not just "How do you feel about so and so", go ask the position coaches if you don't like Bo's responses, don't go calling parents to check up on their son when they don't even know anything about it.

Seriously, Bo is sick and tired of the same questions over and over and over and you would be too. After a loss, what should he say? "Yeah we played very well, loved the fact we came up short, but give credit to X, they are a heckuva football team, hats off to them, they played tremendous, we aren't there yet, but they made all the plays and we didn't make enough plays and that's on the players to execute, we didn't execute, but we sure coached out there today I tell you."

Or how about "It's too complicated for you to understand". "Geez don't you people have anything better to do, go play in the Sandhills, I'm going to read a real paper like the New York Times". Or how about "A crusty old ****." Bo has not throat slashed the refs either.

Granted that wasn't directed at media, but it's known for being said somewhere.

Would you really want that back? I mean really? Mediocrity to bad levels, with good media skills? Or Top 10 back to national prominence with an in your face attitude us against the world and we're going to kick your ass attitude and I'm the first one going into battle for you guys? Family comes first.

Besides, the media ALWAYS asks stupid questions, stupid questions deserve stupid answers. The heck do you want him to say after a loss? After a win? Ask about the game, scheme, ANYTHING except how he may feel about something SO obvious. Bo is emotional, his emotions have our guys playing on a high level, guys have different ways of doing things. Pete Carroll is all cuddly, Mack Brown is a country boy, Billy C is all professional when he's winning but an idiot when he loses, Bo Pelini is hard love no matter a win or a loss, Tom Osborne was soft spoken and has a big heart, Turner Gill seems to incorporate religion and no swearing to work, and Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin are well just snakes.

But you catch my drift.

He's not dropping F bombs or flipping the reporters off, or even just cursing at them, he is answering very honestly and that's how he feels and if he comes off being not classy then that's your problem. Go root for another team if you're so worked up over a coaches attitude that it makes you question him as a great coach in general. He is getting better at it. If we were losing, I'm sure he might change his styles, but it's working, we are winning, we are moving up.

I'm not saying winning is the end all either. Osborne said it best that it's not about winning or the final score, but how you get there, and they are very different from each other and Osborne says Bo reminds him of the Bobfather.

Bo understands that and that's always been the motto around here. Winning is very important, but shaping them into grown men is always priority number 1A here, with winning being 1B.

His toughness turned us around when nothing else would. Nothing will satisfy Bo. Even if we go 14-0 and shut everyone out 100 to 00, he will still give the same answers and always want more. That's what the best do, they are never satisfied and they want more and different people have different approaches to success.

Some players respond, some don't. Our players, past and present, state they would run through a brick wall for Coach Pelini, and so would I.

I agree with most of what you said except for the part about the questions reporters ask.

People don't want logistics and schematics in the media. They want emotion and feelings. Literally hundreds of studies have been done on what type of relationship the media has with it's viewers. Viewers are almost always more attracted to and prefer to see/read media reports that contain feelings and emotions.

Sure, Bo's answer may be obvious to you, but it may not be to everybody else. Besides, no coach goes into epic detail about schemes and most don't even go into brief detail because the average sports fan doesn't care. The average sports fan sees one thing: Win or loss?

So yeah, the same questions about quarterbacks/blackshirts/depth charts are annoying, and obviously nobody is going to be happy after a loss, but being in the media (especially in sports) involves capturing emotion. These reporters are required to ask this question every day in hopes of breaking the information. Obviously they feel a little awkward asking it, but they have to. :rant

You can't accuse Bo of doing things the "wrong" way. Instead, you should have said, I want Bo to do things MY way cuz MY way seems to be the ONLY way to properly do things.

In before the lock :corndance

I dont really feel like I need to justify my comments. Anybody can watch and listen to Bo Pelini and realize that he is a loose cannon. The culture at Nebraska has changed because people dont care HOW we win anymore. I like winning the right way. People just want us to win at all costs. I would rather Nebraska lose every game for the rest of my life but do things the RIGHT way. Respect, Honesty, Compassion, Hard Work, etc...are all things I would like to see return.
Finally the right answer!

I agree.

Reality is this... when we were always winning the fans could be generous and magnanimous and seek after winning the right way and conduct and character mattered.

The culture has changed after a decade of not winning (at least not winning like we used to).

This is reflected here on the board as so many posters could care less whether our coach is classy or crass, a good role model or not, or a fine representative or not --- just so long as he wins. This is so apparent and is as well very disconcerting. I have followed NU football since I graduated 20+ years ago and the past 10 years or so have seen a huge degradation is fan expectations regarding NU being a clean, classy program that represents NU and Nebraska well. What has replaced the sense of "we want NU classy" is an attitude of "we want to win no matter what." It seems that those who basically say that Bo is fine (no matter how poorly he represents NU) so long as he wins is growing. This could be simply a poor sampling size with conclusions drawn from largely those who post on this board --- which may not be representative of the whole. But... if this board is any indication, we have a huge culture shift away from what was to what is now a "win... and we don't care how" mindset.

Finally, I counter those who posit that this thread is lame by saying that this thread is vital --- the integrity of Nebraska, of NU and the extent that Bo represents (or does not) represent that integrity is more critical than wins or losses. Sure ... you can argue that the coach should not be so much a statesman and representative of NU or the state --- and that is probably right --- it is odd that a football coach is so associated with the representation of an entire state --- but it is what it is --- reality is that the NU coach is an ambassador, by definition. That coach can embrace this or ignore the responsibility. Bo seems to not embrace this at all. He is immature, rash, and pretty crass.

I think Bo is a great coach from the X's and O's viewpoint --- and that he develops and uses his players well --- and that he will (and largely has) gotten us on track competitively --- but that he is not a good ambassador of NU or of Nebraskans in general (being an ambassador is, like it or not, what the NU football coach by definition is).

In closing, especially for the younger NU fans, consider that character counts --- not just winning.

This revisionist history people want to lay claim to of some halcyonic era when the Huskers were perfect gentlemen, coached by perfect gentlemen, spoke and acted like perfect gentlemen at all times simply didn't exist. It didn't exist at Nebraska, and it didn't exist anywhere else.

Devaney swore at his players and the refs, his assistant coaches swore at him, the players and the refs, and his players swore up and down the field. Osborne didn't drop f-bombs but he was as passionate as they come, he chewed out players on the sidelines and he was in the ears of the refs hollering in most every close game we played. And you apparently have no idea what guys like Milt Tenopir, Charlie McBride and the rest were like at all, and seem to want to paint this era as "the good old days," a time when we won "the right way" and the fans were always oh-so-classy.

It's all hogwash.

Nebraska has had its share of classless fans - always has and always will. We're real people in this state, not some clone army of Stepford Wives. We yell, we scream, we curse - and that's just while driving. Sure, for the most part we're a genteel bunch on game days, and we treat our opponents with more respect than is common, but if you think ne'er a discouraging word was uttered at Memorial Stadium during the previous four coach's tenures, you'd better think again.

And this concept that now, in the past ten years, we've become some "win at all costs" fan base - utter hogwash. We aren't, we weren't, and we're not going there at all. We're tolerant of our crazy coaches because they win, sure, and we're intolerant of crazy coaches who don't win, sure, but all in all we're still the same fans we've always been - polite and cranky, honorable and dishonorable, all wrapped up into one.

Maybe you're noticing stuff like this because of the Internet, whose anonymity breeds boorish behavior, and there's probably some truth to some of what you're saying, but it's not as if we've sold our collective souls to win, win, win.

Of course we want to win. Of course we expect to win. Of course we get angsty when we don't win. We're human. And so are you.