Tale of the Tape: Idaho Vandals

knapplc

The Huskers square off against the Idaho Vandals in Lincoln this week. This is the first ever meeting between the two schools.

Idaho is coached by Robb Akey. Akey was hired in 2007 and has an 11-26 record with the Vandals. Idaho finished the 2009 season with an 8-5 record, including a 43-42 win over Bowling Green in the Humanitarian Bowl.

Idaho's QB is Nebraska native Nathan Enderle. Enderle is a Senior from North Platte, NE, and is on the Davey O'Brien watch list, the Golden Arm watch list and the Manning Award watch list. Enderle finished 2009 ranked fifth among QBs in Pass Efficiency, throwing 22 TDs vs. 9 INTs, with a QB rating of 157. Enderle enters 2010 without his favorite target, Max Komar, who graduated following the season. Enderle ripped North Dakota last week to the tune of 311 yards and two TDs on 24/37 passing, with one INT.

The Vandals finished 2009 ranked 42nd in the nation in rushing, averaging 165 yards per game, but lost DeMaundray Woolridge to graduation. Last week the Vandals handed the ball to Jr. Princeton McCarty, who ran for 89 yards and two TDs against North Dakota.

The Vandals' claim to fame is a high-octane passing offense, and they return four of their top five weapons at Wide Receiver: Senior Daniel Hardy (39 catches, 691 yards, three touchdowns), senior Maurice Shaw (32 catches, 666 yards, six touchdowns), junior Preston Davis (33 catches, 460 yards, one touchdown), senior Eric Greenwood (32 catches, 401 yards, three touchdowns). Komar led the Vandals in receiving yards, receptions and TDs last year.

The biggest issue facing the Vandals this week will be the protection they afford Enderle from an Offensive Line almost entirely lost to graduation. The Vandals start just one lineman with game experience from 2009, Matt Cleveland (LT), but otherwise broke in an almost completely rebuilt line last week, surrendering four sacks to the Div II Fighting Sioux.

The Vandals are relatively weak against the run, surrendering 155 yards per game on the ground last year and 27 total TDs - an average of nearly two per game. Overall the Vandals were abysmal on DEF, allowing opponents to score 20 or more points in 12 of 13 games, and 30 or more five times. Idaho was 107th in the nation in Total Defense last year, allowing an average of 433 yards per game. While the Vandals return nearly every starter on defense, the guys they return aren't much to speak of.

Special Teams is also not a bright spot for the Vandals, who surrendered yards in bunches in 2009. Their end-of-season ranks:

Kickoff Return Yardage: 109th (25 yards per return)

Punt Return Yardage: 102nd (12 yards per return)

Field Goals Made: Trent Farquhar, 13/19 (102nd)

Turnover Margin: 106th (Net -.62)

OVERALL ASSESSMENT

While the Vandals have shown improvement under Akey, they are far from a potent team on either side of the ball. If the rebuilt offensive line cannot keep pressure off of immobile pocket passer Enderle, the Vandals could find themselves in an early hole - and with a damaged Quarterback. The defense faces a capable running attack and has been known to surrender yards in bunches to far weaker opponents than the Huskers. If the Vandals can keep the Blackshirts off balance with a precision passing attack, they could stay in the game longer than the first 15 minutes. If they are unable to keep the Huskers on their heels, or if they allow Nebraska to apply pressure using only their front four, this will be a long game for the visitors.

• Fire 2

Does anyone remember the post seen here?

Well I thought as an "outsider" of Huskerboard, I could do some research on the schools that good ol' NU play...

So, without further adieu...

Founded in 1892, the University of Idaho is located in Moscow, Russia Idaho, and hosts the states only Law School.

Enrollment:

# Undergraduate - 8,723

# Graduate - 1,836

Notable Alum:

• Tom Cable, current Oakland Raiders coach

• Sarah Palin

The "Kibbie Dome" is the home for Vandal football, basketball, tennis, and indoor track and field.

The university's official colors are silver & gold, honoring the state's mining tradition. Because these metallic colors in tandem are not visually complementary for athletic uniforms, black & gold are the prevalent colors for the athletic teams, with an occasional use of silver, similar to Colorado, whose official colors are also silver and gold.

Idaho’s athletic teams go by a name earned nearly a century ago by a basketball team coached by Hec Edmundson, whose teams played defense with such intensity and ferocity that sports writers said they “vandalized” their opponents.

Idaho's biggest rival: Boise State (they play for the Governor's Trophy, Boise State leads series 21-17-1)

This is the first ever meeting between the Big Red and the Vandals.

(With all due respect, nothing too exciting.)

• Fire 1
The biggest issue facing the Vandals this week will be the protection they afford Enderle from an Offensive Line almost entirely lost to graduation. The Vandals start just one lineman with game experience from 2009, Matt Cleveland (LT), but otherwise broke in an almost completely rebuilt line last week, surrendering four sacks to the Div II Fighting Sioux.

This does not bode well for the Vandals. I suspect the D-Line will have a pretty good game

I think T-Mart was the first Husker QB to rush for over 100 yards since Lord (some of you stat diggers PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong)-when was the last time we had a QB rush for over 100 yards back to back and when was the last time a Husker QB rushed for over 200? I really think Bo will have the D prepped for these guys, our LB's and Hagg will be vastly improved in stopping the run AND being prepared for those short crossing routes over the middle (I think someone said alot of Bump and Run coverage will help throw-off the timing too) and I see Big Red winning by 25+.

I think T-Mart was the first Husker QB to rush for over 100 yards since Lord (some of you stat diggers PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong)-when was the last time we had a QB rush for over 100 yards back to back and when was the last time a Husker QB rushed for over 200? I really think Bo will have the D prepped for these guys, our LB's and Hagg will be vastly improved in stopping the run AND being prepared for those short crossing routes over the middle (I think someone said alot of Bump and Run coverage will help throw-off the timing too) and I see Big Red winning by 25+.

No cursing is allowed on huskerboard.com...........................Just to read the word Lord, makes me wanna puke.

This does not bode well for the Vandals. I suspect the D-Line will have a pretty good game

This poor QB is dead meat

No cursing is allowed on huskerboard.com...........................Just to read the word Lord, makes me wanna puke.

I don't understand why people still bag on Lord. He was our best option at quarterback when he started for us and it's not his fault that his head coach was terrible and called a qb run every other play. The criticism should really go to Frank Solich who decided to put a guy who would've been a good running back at quarterback and thus practically eliminate our passing game.

The Huskers square off against the Idaho Vandals in Lincoln this week. This is the first ever meeting between the two schools.

Idaho is coached by Robb Akey. Akey was hired in 2007 and has an 11-26 record with the Vandals. Idaho finished the 2009 season with an 8-5 record, including a 43-42 win over Bowling Green in the Humanitarian Bowl.

Idaho's QB is Nebraska native Nathan Enderle. Enderle is a Senior from North Platte, NE, and is on the Davey O'Brien watch list, the Golden Arm watch list and the Manning Award watch list. Enderle finished 2009 ranked fifth among QBs in Pass Efficiency, throwing 22 TDs vs. 9 INTs, with a QB rating of 157. Enderle enters 2010 without his favorite target, Max Komar, who graduated following the season. Enderle ripped North Dakota last week to the tune of 311 yards and two TDs on 24/37 passing, with one INT.

The Vandals finished 2009 ranked 42nd in the nation in rushing, averaging 165 yards per game, but lost DeMaundray Woolridge to graduation. Last week the Vandals handed the ball to Jr. Princeton McCarty, who ran for 89 yards and two TDs against North Dakota.

The Vandals' claim to fame is a high-octane passing offense, and they return four of their top five weapons at Wide Receiver: Senior Daniel Hardy (39 catches, 691 yards, three touchdowns), senior Maurice Shaw (32 catches, 666 yards, six touchdowns), junior Preston Davis (33 catches, 460 yards, one touchdown), senior Eric Greenwood (32 catches, 401 yards, three touchdowns). Komar led the Vandals in receiving yards, receptions and TDs last year.

The Vandals are relatively weak against the run, surrendering 155 yards per game on the ground last year and 27 total TDs - an average of nearly two per game. Overall the Vandals were abysmal on DEF, allowing opponents to score 20 or more points in 12 of 13 games, and 30 or more five times. Idaho was 107th in the nation in Total Defense last year, allowing an average of 433 yards per game. While the Vandals return nearly every starter on defense, the guys they return aren't much to speak of.

Special Teams is also not a bright spot for the Vandals, who surrendered yards in bunches in 2009. Their end-of-season ranks:

Kickoff Return Yardage: 109th (25 yards per return)

Punt Return Yardage: 102nd (12 yards per return)

Field Goals Made: Trent Farquhar, 13/19 (102nd)

Turnover Margin: 106th (Net -.62)

OVERALL ASSESSMENT

While the Vandals have shown improvement under Akey, they are far from a potent team on either side of the ball. If the rebuilt offensive line cannot keep pressure off of immobile pocket passer Enderle, the Vandals could find themselves in an early hole - and with a damaged Quarterback. The defense faces a capable running attack and has been known to surrender yards in bunches to far weaker opponents than the Huskers. If the Vandals can keep the Blackshirts off balance with a precision passing attack, they could stay in the game longer than the first 15 minutes. If they are unable to keep the Huskers on their heels, or if they allow Nebraska to apply pressure using only their front four, this will be a long game for the visitors.

Nice post knapplc. I think it will be an interesting match-up. But if Idaho has no run support, and it doesn't look like they will, the NU secondary should have a field day. But a lot of that depends on the D-line, because I really don't think NU will show anything, so it'll rely much on the line to pass rush. I think my only concern is that if the Huskers take them lightly. I don't think it could be a loss, but this definitely isn't Western Kentucky.