Boise State wanted $1 million to play Nebraska?

NUance

Boise State wanted $1 million to play Nebraska?

It's pretty well-known that Boise State has historically struggled to fill its schedule with enough legitimate teams to beef the season's strength of schedule to the point of respectability. Sure, there's Oregon last year, Virginia Tech last weekend, but by and large, it's slim pickings. But if the report from the Omaha World-Herald today is true, it sure sounds like Boise's not really putting in a good-faith effort:

Nebraska called. Nebraska tried.

In the past year, NU tried to put together a series with BSU; two-for-one, home-and-home, one-way trip to Lincoln. Whatever. It ended up fizzling out. Why?

Because, according to NU Assistant Athletic Director Jeff Jamrog, Boise wanted a minimum $1 million to play in Lincoln.

This, of course, is insanity. Nebraska has zero incentive to agree to a deal like that; while the athletic program would still make money off of the game even after handing over seven figures to their esteemed guests, they'd make a lot more by hosting any number of other programs instead. Moreover, for BCS teams, non-conference strength of schedule doesn't really matter. Or, if you demand more nuance, SOS does matter, but not nearly to the extent that it would offset the negative effect of taking a loss should Nebraska lose that game (easily possible).

But if that's the way Boise wants to play it, by all means, let them. Just keep stories like these in mind the next time a BSU fan complains about the consequences of the cupcake schedule they face every year. linky

we are giving 800,000 to Idaho...whats another 200,000? But like the rest of the article said we are lucky we didnt take it, because the schedule we have the next few years is already tough enough.

The fallacy in this argument is that no Top 25 team, even one ranked in the Top 5 and from Idaho, deserves $1 million. Those hefty prices are reserved for the weak, non bcs competition that you can use to pretty much buy a win. You don't pay that money to a school waning for top dog status.

Ohio State is paying Colorado 1.4 mil to play them so honestly I don't think 1 mil is asking too much. The deal didn't make sense for us but I don't think Boise State should be blamed for the deal collapsing.

Colorado is also trying to generate some money to 1) pay their way out of the Big 12 and 2) get rid of Hawkins. Right now, Colordao is broker than a broke **** dog

I hate Boise St. 1 million for BSU compared to 800k for Idaho.

So if it was a 1 game in Lincoln, 200k gets you on national TV. Sounds like a bargain.

I dont see Boise going to anyone else's house for 1 game, so I doubt this is what the article really amounts to.

MOD EDIT - No sexual references in the forums. Put it in the Woodshed if you feel the need to swear.