A little patience for Taylor Martinez

zoogs

Just staying on the subject of Taylor and not our other bad faults from yesterday - there were 2 things that stuck out to me and disappointed me.

-

He has no pocket presence. A few times he held onto the ball wayyy too long and took hits because o it. As a raw passer, I can somewhat understand, but he needs to have that internal clock that lets you know how long you have.

Even more, I would like to see Taylor only have about 2 reads before he is allowed to make plays with his feet. He isn't Peyton Manning, so don't make him something he just is not at this point. Give him that pass option, but don't make him go to multiple reads when his awareness in the pocket just is not there.

-

He HAS to be able to adjust the line and be able to pick up blitzes. That fumble down near the goal line was completely on him. Idaho blitzed and brought more than the line could block. The OT blocked down, which he i supposed to do, forcing the blitzer on the outside to be the guy free since he will have the longest path to the QB. Taylor should be able to see that blitz, go to his hot read, and get that ball out of there in a hurry.

Yes, he's a freshman. But even as a freshman that is something you HAVE to be able to do. Not only to prevent fumbles like we saw today, but for your own safety. Letting blitzers come free to drill you in the back can wear on any QB.

-

But alot o Taylor's struggles are exactly what should have been expected and I would hope everyone prepared for. But at least the coaches somewhat stopped with this rotating QB garbage.

Now if the coaches would it Ricky Henry's dumba.., I would almost be a happy man.

• Fire 1

Just staying on the subject of Taylor and not our other bad faults from yesterday - there were 2 things that stuck out to me and disappointed me.

-

He has no pocket presence. A few times he held onto the ball wayyy too long and took hits because o it. As a raw passer, I can somewhat understand, but he needs to have that internal clock that lets you know how long you have.

Even more, I would like to see Taylor only have about 2 reads before he is allowed to make plays with his feet. He isn't Peyton Manning, so don't make him something he just is not at this point. Give him that pass option, but don't make him go to multiple reads when his awareness in the pocket just is not there.

-

He HAS to be able to adjust the line and be able to pick up blitzes. That fumble down near the goal line was completely on him. Idaho blitzed and brought more than the line could block. The OT blocked down, which he i supposed to do, forcing the blitzer on the outside to be the guy free since he will have the longest path to the QB. Taylor should be able to see that blitz, go to his hot read, and get that ball out of there in a hurry.

Yes, he's a freshman. But even as a freshman that is something you HAVE to be able to do. Not only to prevent fumbles like we saw today, but for your own safety. Letting blitzers come free to drill you in the back can wear on any QB.

-

But alot o Taylor's struggles are exactly what should have been expected and I would hope everyone prepared for. But at least the coaches somewhat stopped with this rotating QB garbage.

Now if the coaches would it Ricky Henry's dumba.., I would almost be a happy man.

I like that idea. Tell him to check his two reads and if it isn't there.....GO! He's 10,000 times the threat a Peyton Manning is with his feet so it's not a bad deal and he doesn't get cremated waiting to find somebody.

Yeah, picking up blitzes is something he has to improve boatloads on.

Henry, Cotton & Paul......maybe a frontal lobotomy is the answer?

So I take it my T-tragic nickname is not going to go over too well with you? :hmmph

bshirt, having one thing to excel at and fall back on isn't an issue of scheme, it's an issue of execution. We relied on straight physical running last year. It didn't do us much good because we didn't have the horses in the OL to do it well. But it was the only thing we could do to give us a shot at winning games. We had a very clear, very simple identity. It was criticized for being boring.

Well, yeah. But how do you get execution? It's called "repetition". You practice it over & over & over like Uncle Milt did. But Cotton can't possibly get that kind of repetitions because he's constantly being forced to spend his time teaching the new 10,000 different schemes SW is installing. You know, so we're "multiple".

It's great to be versatile/multiple in one sense.....but at the price of no identity is way, way too high.

So I take it my T-tragic nickname is not going to go over too well with you? :hmmph

bshirt, having one thing to excel at and fall back on isn't an issue of scheme, it's an issue of execution. We relied on straight physical running last year. It didn't do us much good because we didn't have the horses in the OL to do it well. But it was the only thing we could do to give us a shot at winning games. We had a very clear, very simple identity. It was criticized for being boring.

Well, yeah. But how do you get execution? It's called "repetition". You practice it over & over & over like Uncle Milt did. But Cotton can't possibly get that kind of repetitions because he's constantly being forced to spend his time teaching the new 10,000 different schemes SW is installing. You know, so we're "multiple".

It's great to be versatile/multiple in one sense.....but at the price of no identity is way, way too high.

Right. And I suppose Watson’s complicated schemes also caused Barney’s guys to jump offsides, clip blocks, and commit personal foul penalties. Damn Watson is once again keeping Barney from succeeding.

I don't know how your plan for TM would work out against our more worthy opponents and we'll just have to find out. Your premise to encourage TM to bail out of the pocket quickly if a primary receiver is not open; will compound what is our biggest deficiency now--an inept passing game. The hardest thing for a young qb to learn is to go through reads while stepping up into the pocket. What you suggest is that TM has shown gifted rb skills against the patsies, Wats should encourage him to have happy feet and look to run scared quickly.

Good opponents will put a spy on him and negate much of his running talent when they realize he is no threat to pick a defense apart. He would be fine in a GT or Navy option offense. I'm not sure happy feet will work In the Big 12.

The running game looks good. If that's the way the coaching staff wants to go, than I don't see much chance of us picking up any top w/r if we don't throw a little more. Martinez looks like he will end up being the real deal at q/b for the future. Would like to see Lee get more playing time, as I think we will need him for his "been there done that" when the schedule gets tougher, and we need a cool head under fire. Next week should be the real coming out for Martinez. You know the Washington coaches are going to throw everything they can at him, but I feel much better about our q/b situation than last year.

I didn't like the way the team looked in the second half of both games either, but I'm not complaining if they have those kind of leads at half time of each game, the rest of the season. :lol:

GBR!!!

I guess we should have patience too if we don't make the Big 12 championship this year? or we should have patience if we lose to Texas? or we should have patience if we don't make it to a BCS bowl game?

I don't know about all of you, but i had high expectations this year, and im not backing down from those expectations just because a highly touted redshirt freshman can't take us there this year.

If we don't make the Big 12 championship, then I hope people have the sense to question the untouchable Bo Pelini for what would have turned out to be a really questionable call. That is what's at stake here. We hooked the wagon to Taylor, and we are gonna ride it.

But we're 2-0 yet and there is no reason to expect that scenario so far. Some tempered expectations are in order though. Taylor was always going to take his lumps.

By hooking the wagon to Taylor Martinez, we will have an experienced QB when we start in the Big 10 --- and that is huge. Next season is far more important than this season in that next year we play perhaps the toughest schedule in America and will have nationally televised games against Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, and Penn State --- and, if we win our division --- a second game against Ohio State or Penn State. The potential to be totally embarassed in these games is there --- as is the potential to return to national respect. Haing an experienced and returning QB will help hugely in our regaining respect nationally. If Lee were the QB this year we'd be in huge trouble next year --- going in w/o an experienced QB. Honestly, I'd imagine that the #1 reason Lee is not starting now is that Bo is looking ahead to next year and knows he needs to have a returning QB. So Lee was out. That leaves Green or Martinez. These young guys need to work out the kinks now so that next season NU can compete in the Big 10.

Now... Bo can only work with what he has --- so really he is doing the only thing logically he can do in terms of best situating our team for long-term sucess --- go with the QB that will return experienced next year.

None of this is to say that this year is not important --- it is. But not like next year. Bo is too smart to be one-season short sighted. It'd be different if Lee were tremendously better (at this moment) than Martinez. He's not. He might be slightly better perched to lead now --- but then he is gone. So let Martinez learn this year and hope for the best.

As for Green --- I really do not see much there as potential. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that Martinez --- limitations amd all -- is who I'd hook my wagon to too if I were Bo.

Last year a stupid 5 yd illegal procedure was a drive killer.

This year a stupid 10 yd holding or 15 yd clipping DOESN'T necessarily prevent points

You know this really is a good point...we're still the same bunch of players on offense for the most part except we added an explosive qb so we can expect a lot of mistakes like last year from the o line and recievers but at least the qb mistakes should balance out a little with big plays on his part. Just get those fumbles under control please.

Right. And I suppose Watsons complicated schemes also caused Barneys guys to jump offsides, clip blocks, and commit personal foul penalties. Damn Watson is once again keeping Barney from succeeding.

Heh....NEWSFLASH.....we've been having BIG problems with our offense for a very long time now. Hard to believe, huh?

But yeah, you're surely right. Everything is fine. What was I thinking??

I have plenty of patience for Martin-ez. He'll make some great plays this year and he will struggle mightily at times as well.

what I just freaking have ZERO patience for is our finesse, scheming, pulling, misdirection, fake-out shotgun offense. Non of which would bother me one bit, except the fact what when we line up in our Jumbo offense we can't get 1 damn yard against Idaho.

I am sorry, but stats just aren't telling the whole story on these first 2 games. 500yd average against crap teams don't mean squat when we have 10 penalties and can't gain 1 yd on short yardage. That isn't players because, obviously they have the talent to gain 500. It's coaching and philosophy that somehow limits them, whether mentally or physically, to be able to ram it down someones throat and not commit stupid penalties.

And yes, penalties and lack of discipline are coaching problems. Look at teams like the 80s Hurricanes or the last 20 yrs of the Oakland Raiders.

I don't know how your plan for TM would work out against our more worthy opponents and we'll just have to find out. Your premise to encourage TM to bail out of the pocket quickly if a primary receiver is not open; will compound what is our biggest deficiency now--an inept passing game. The hardest thing for a young qb to learn is to go through reads while stepping up into the pocket. What you suggest is that TM has shown gifted rb skills against the patsies, Wats should encourage him to have happy feet and look to run scared quickly.

Good opponents will put a spy on him and negate much of his running talent when they realize he is no threat to pick a defense apart. He would be fine in a GT or Navy option offense. I'm not sure happy feet will work In the Big 12.

A 'spy' is not something I would particularly be worried about. A LB or safety in the open field versus Taylor is a matchup I will take everyday.

But the limited reads is not something out of the ordinary. Infact, it was something used quite often throughout the career of guys like Vince Young, Pat White, Dennis Dixon, among other mobile QBs. When you have athletes playing QB that are limited passers, you let them do what is instinctive and what they do best, make plays with their feet.

I would rather have Taylor in the open field rather than trying to pick through zone coverage to fit a pass in over a defender. It's safer with less turnovers, and still lets us use his playmaking abilities.

Not really high on letting Taylor learn on the fly trying to become a better passer. Will take a mistake here and there in that regard, but I don't want him to be something he is not at this point either.

Winter drills, spring practice, and the summer will be a good time to work on those things. :)

Edited by BigWillie

I guess we should have patience too if we don't make the Big 12 championship this year? or we should have patience if we lose to Texas? or we should have patience if we don't make it to a BCS bowl game?

I don't know about all of you, but i had high expectations this year, and im not backing down from those expectations just because a highly touted redshirt freshman can't take us there this year.

If we don't make the Big 12 championship, then I hope people have the sense to question the untouchable Bo Pelini for what would have turned out to be a really questionable call. That is what's at stake here. We hooked the wagon to Taylor, and we are gonna ride it.

But we're 2-0 yet and there is no reason to expect that scenario so far. Some tempered expectations are in order though. Taylor was always going to take his lumps.

By hooking the wagon to Taylor Martinez, we will have an experienced QB when we start in the Big 10 --- and that is huge. Next season is far more important than this season in that next year we play perhaps the toughest schedule in America and will have nationally televised games against Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, and Penn State --- and, if we win our division --- a second game against Ohio State or Penn State. The potential to be totally embarassed in these games is there --- as is the potential to return to national respect. Haing an experienced and returning QB will help hugely in our regaining respect nationally. If Lee were the QB this year we'd be in huge trouble next year --- going in w/o an experienced QB. Honestly, I'd imagine that the #1 reason Lee is not starting now is that Bo is looking ahead to next year and knows he needs to have a returning QB. So Lee was out. That leaves Green or Martinez. These young guys need to work out the kinks now so that next season NU can compete in the Big 10.

Now... Bo can only work with what he has --- so really he is doing the only thing logically he can do in terms of best situating our team for long-term sucess --- go with the QB that will return experienced next year.

None of this is to say that this year is not important --- it is. But not like next year. Bo is too smart to be one-season short sighted. It'd be different if Lee were tremendously better (at this moment) than Martinez. He's not. He might be slightly better perched to lead now --- but then he is gone. So let Martinez learn this year and hope for the best.

As for Green --- I really do not see much there as potential. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that Martinez --- limitations amd all -- is who I'd hook my wagon to too if I were Bo.

I'm really not quite sure why next year is "far more important than this year"? It's our first year in the Big Ten - I suppose that's important. We have a very tough schedule next year and losing most of our games due to inexperience at any position would be pretty embarrassing - I suppose that's important as well. But it seems like a lot of people are just willing to give this year away for next year, when it's this year we are playing and it's this year that we actually have a legitimate and fairly straight path to win the Big XII and play for a national championship. Bo has always espoused that emphasis is always on focusing fully on and not looking any further than the next game, so I would honestly be flabbergasted if he chose give up the championship opportunities available to the Huskers this year and go with Martinez to get him experience for next year.

I think that Martinez has a lot of potential and that he has a bright future at Nebraska. However, I'm not willing to excuse his inefficiencies and/or deficiencies with a "Oh well, we're preparing for next year." If this season is essentially going to be used as a preseason for next year, then maybe every senior on the team should be benched so that come next year's Big Ten season opener the Huskers field the most experienced team possible. Ludicrous.

We still have 10 (hopefully 12) games left to play this season and we have a freshman quarterback, who while having great big play potential, is essentially one dimensional. One dimensional isn't going to cut it against most of the teams we play this season. Big plays are great, but aren't sustainable and can't and won't carry a team through a season. Martinez needs to improve his passing game and his ability to read and react to what defenses throw at him. I believe he will get much better at doing so, but giving him a pass because he's young and we're looking to next year is ridiculous. He needs to be held to the same standard we would hold Green or Lee to given that he's apparently the best of the three THIS season.

That said, I don't think Martinez needs to be thrown under the bus or lose his starting position. He's young and needs to work on and shore up some of the physical and mental aspects of his game - his passing game in particular - but our offensive woes yesterday do not fall fully on his shoulders. There were a lot of mistakes by many different players that contributed to the second half offensive "stall".

I am disappointed, but not too surprised to see Shawn Watson being once again thrown under the bus after a flashy, 471 yard performance with 360 yards on the ground.

But we won't want to see flashiness and yards, we want to see points!

No. We wanted to see Taylor Martinez make electric plays with his feet and dazzle us with some old school Nebraska quarterbacking style. Check. We wanted to see a commitment to the run game instead of being a finessy pass team. Double check. We wanted to build for the future with an exciting freshman at quarterback. Check and mate.

This is exactly what we have got. Through two games, Taylor has been nothing short of magic with his expert ball fakes and ridiculous running. We had an amazing athlete with Crouch, but Taylor has been averaging something like 15 yards a CARRY. I don't know how you could ask for a better rushing performance than what he has delivered for us at the QB position in two games. 4 touchdowns, approaching 300 yards rushing on what, 21 carries? Phenomenal.

On the other hand, he has struggled through the air. He was pedestrian, although fine, against Western Kentucky. Today, he averaged 6.2 yards per attempt. I'm excusing the pick completely because that is the kind of play that he can easily fix if he just pulls it down and takes the sack next time. We haven't seen him stand tall in the pocket, zone into a pass and just make an awful read that results in a pick, yet. Still, 6.2 yards per attempt is an alarming number given the opponent we faced.

But, he is a freshman. Everyone always said his passing was raw and he had a ways to go in that area. Are we acting surprised now that this turns out to be true? We got precisely what we, and Bo, wanted. An electric running quarterback, passing element be damned, because if defenses key in to take Taylor out, we end up with so many different ways to attack. A guy that is cocky and plays with intensity. A guy that is young and will make freshman mistakes.

This is the bed we asked for. It's the one that we have to live with this year. Taylor has a long ways to go, but he can make progress and we could still win a lot of games this year. I'm :facepalm: at anyone that wants to go and blame Shawn Watson for the ineffectiveness we saw today.

In fact, I think this is one of the best possible outcomes for Taylor that we could have asked for today. The last thing I wanted to see was another game where he dominated in all facets and led us to a blowout victory. He is going to face real adversity and be hit in the mouth and struggle with inconsistency at some point this season. The fact that he is taking those lumps right now, as opposed to against Kansas State or Texas, will have a positive result.

Heading into next week, it's going to be a hostile environment on the road with Washington and it is gonna be a battle. Nothing different from what was expected at the beginning of the season.

I'm sorry which coach is responsible for making sure the offense is mentally prepared and ready to play each game? I do agree to a point however. I think Taylor having a rough day with a few turnovers will pay dividends in the long run. I would love to see him and Jamal Turner duking it out next year though.