Never Show More than you have to . . .

Let me remind everyone of Penn St in 2002. Penn St kept their cards close to their chest in the season opener against Central Florida and pulled out a miraculous 27-24 win and what happened the next week against Nebraska? They blew us out and went on to finish 9-3 that season

That's a strong point, which is why I am going to reserve much judgement till after a few games. The level of play needs to be STEPPED UP though, what we saw on saturday won't cut it come conference time.

Clearly there are areas where improvement is needed. But this is only the first game. We also lost a starter on the offensive line a little over a week ago and we had three receivers (not including Herian) out due to minor injuries. Flu, Brooks and LeFlore should all be back against Wake.

I saw a lot of things I liked. Nunn returning punts. Jordon's going to be a great kicker. In fact special teams couldn't have improved much more than they did. Even Taylor at QB. He looked fairly sharp durning the first half but seemed pretty flustered as the game winded down. But all considered he showed a lot of potential. He made some mistakes but consider the pressure he was under. He will get better. We had a lot of dropped passes. We had a lot of fumbles as well. But if Callahan can correct these mistakes our offense will look a lot better.

One area of concern is our offensive line. It needs to mature fast. With our running backs we should have been running for six or eight yards a carry. We also need to find a way to get our backup QB's in the game. Beck especially. He's going to be a great QB but he needs experience. It's hard to put your backup QB in when you are fighting just to win the game.

I'm with holding judgement on our defense. We played a great game but remember, it was Maine. Our front seven did a great job. The sacks were great. Let's hope they can do it next week. I'm not sure either about our defensive backs. It seems they gave up a lot more than they should have. And what happened to The Leon and Bowman? I expected to hear their names a lot.

Maybe he kept the offense vanilla because he thought NU would blow out Maine even with that type of offense, keeping many plays secret.

Guess he was wrong.

Lets hope he kept the offense out or we are in trouble. If he did and we got a win, albeit not very pretty. If that was the full look for NU then it will be a long season. Might as well start getting excited about the new 06 recruits.

we damn sure better have some good performances when the next batch of recruits come, or recruting will suffer too....the goal for this game should have been to blow them out and play as many kids as we could to get them experience, hell even Ganz spoke before the game and expressed hope to play when the score got lopsided enough.......this had to be disappointing to all the kids....

hunter

Let me remind everyone of Penn St in 2002. Penn St kept their cards close to their chest in the season opener against Central Florida and pulled out a miraculous 27-24 win and what happened the next week against Nebraska? They blew us out and went on to finish 9-3 that season

yeah, but i don't think they were rebuilding that year either.....this is WAY different.........

hunter

If he did that he's retarded. Maine was our chance to get a bunch of young guys playing time like lucky,ganz,beck,etc, instead we had to play our starters the whole game and got guys banged up and hurt like bowman etc. stupid if he did that. I don't think he did. I think he is poor at play calling.

:dis First of all I think Cally was a little vanilla on play calling, just for the fact that there is a lot of new faces on this team, and calli wanted to break them in easy with the play book, Norvell said last week that there was only 10-15 plays that were drawn up for Lucky. Main was our chance to get playing time for the young guys, if you were watching the game our young guys were playing the whole game, as for beck there may be a red shirt involved there, as for taylor if you have not forgotten, he is one of our young guys, this was the first d1 game he has played in he needs more pt than any of our qb's. as far as calling cally poor at play calling :wtf if this play calling is going on later in the season than you can say he is a poor play caller.

I was disappointed in the play of the O Line and wondered about the play calling but someone earlier made a point that maybe Coach C. was just using the basic offense, which seems logical. What I was surprised to see was how bad Grixby looked, his punt returns were not impressive and his defensive back play was really scarey ( scarey as BAD ). Hopefully they can work on the problems this week and get through Wake Forest.

I was disappointed in the play of the O Line and wondered about the play calling but someone earlier made a point that maybe Coach C. was just using the basic offense, which seems logical. What I was surprised to see was how bad Grixby looked, his punt returns were not impressive and his defensive back play was really scarey ( scarey as BAD ). Hopefully they can work on the problems this week and get through Wake Forest.

I didn't think grix looked too bad returning punts. Definately better than last year. He just danced too much while Nunn got the ball made a move and took off.

I'm amazed no one is pissed that our O Line couldn't even block a D2 team's defensive front. I mean the difference between D1 and D2 is like taking Creighton Prep and playing a class C2 team. Not only did Maine not have our numbers, they didn't even compare when talent is considered. Even if BC was keeping the offense vanilla, our OL should have been able to push the defense back. It didn't happen.

So far our stud QB is 0-2, meaning 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. He's less than 50% for a completion rate. So far, he's worse than Dailey. Taylor should be well seasoned playing teams like Maine. I mean for Christ's sake he did play D2 ball.

Nunn, what can I say. He had a bad game. He dropped passes and fumbled punts. It seems he either simply can't catch, or his concentration just wasn't there. My only question is why keep throwing him the ball when he keeps dropping the damn thing?

The defense played well, but how well? Last year when we opened the season, everyone thought the offense was going to be great. Well, it wasn't. This year, the defense played awesome. However, we don't have many offensive giants like Maine on the remainder of the schedule. I have to admit, I'm scared shitless about the rest of the year. At least Wake Forest got throttled. Maybe we can have a good game and momentum builder next week, because we sure didn't get it this week.

how can any coach be so bad at play calling?? 3 passes from the 1 yard line?

hell, you would think we had no running backs whatsoever?? what was Cally thinking???? :wtf:wtf:wtf

hunter

Hunter i am in agreement with your point 100%. I dont know of one coach who would throw it that many times on the two. If he had lost confidence in Cory. There were still more backs who could have DEFINENTLY got it done. We still won by 18. I will take it. They better play a whole hell of alot better in the future. Especialy protecting the freaking ball.

I'm amazed no one is pissed that our O Line couldn't even block a D2 team's defensive front. 

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...opic=4611&st=80

So far our stud QB is 0-2, meaning 0 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.  He's less than 50% for a completion rate.  So far, he's worse than Dailey.  Taylor should be well seasoned playing teams like Maine.  I mean for Christ's sake he did play D2 ball. 

Agreed. He needs to be more accurate. No doubt about it. The difference between him and Dailey at this point is that he has proved he can do it in some capacity. Dailey never did.

Nunn, what can I say.  He had a bad game.  He dropped passes and fumbled punts.  It seems he either simply can't catch, or his concentration just wasn't there.  My only question is why keep throwing him the ball when he keeps dropping the damn thing? 

Yea, he made some mistakes, but he also brought the punt return game back to life. You have to take the good with the bad at this point, I'm afraid.

The defense played well, but how well?  Last year when we opened the season, everyone thought the offense was going to be great.  Well, it wasn't.  This year, the defense played awesome.  However, we don't have many offensive giants like Maine on the remainder of the schedule.  I have to admit, I'm scared shitless about the rest of the year.  At least Wake Forest got throttled.  Maybe we can have a good game and momentum builder next week, because we sure didn't get it this week

Obviously it's hard to guage how good the defense really is against a team like Maine, however, it could have been worse. Wilson got burned once. That was it.

The loss of Octavien is going to hurt this year. I know Ruud will step up as much as he can, but I think we will still miss Steve's slight speed advantage.

A tight end needs to step up, but I have a hard time believeing at this point it will be either phillips or mueller. Where's Tomerlin?

Taylor needs to come out next week and throw a better ball. It would be great to get the ball to other receivers if they are open, but I'll take Hardy getting a lot of throws again. Ross needs to NOT fumble. Period.

Now I know everyone is freaking out about the lack of offense last night. I was there, as many of you were, and I will say that at times it was tough not to whine about things. However, I think I am going to give Norvell and Callahan a bit of credit from a different angle. After about the 10th delay draw um the middle, I realized that we were really only running variations of about three plays against Maine. Now everyone knows that Taylor and guys like Ross and and good portion of the line knows more plays than that. I guess my point is that maybe Cally wanted to keep it simple on offense and not bust out anything good in the first game. I refuse to completely blame the lackluster rushing totals on the O-line. There is only so many times you can run dives and draws out of a one back set before it gets shut down. Maybe Cally wanted it that way. Hold out hope for more preplanned creativity agianst Wake. Any thoughts?

I don't buy it, players have to pick it up and play. This is on their shoulders. Vanilla or not, it was an inferior oppponent. Without turnovers, the Huskers put up 40.

how can any coach be so bad at play calling?? 3 passes from the 1 yard line?

hell, you would think we had no running backs whatsoever?? what was Cally thinking???? :wtf  :wtf  :wtf

hunter

Hunter i am in agreement with your point 100%. I dont know of one coach who would throw it that many times on the two. If he had lost confidence in Cory. There were still more backs who could have DEFINENTLY got it done. We still won by 18. I will take it. They better play a whole hell of alot better in the future. Especialy protecting the freaking ball.

I don't have a problem with throwing from that close, however, I think there needs to be some play action in that case. With a quick throw. When too much time passes, and having such a short field, it will be tough if no one is open almost immediately given that the whole defense will be within 10-15 yards of the ball. IMO