"Nebraska's running game is terrifying"

Husker66

Love this quote "Nebraska's running game is terrifying."

Its just nice to feel relevent and wanted again.... after what this program has been through in the last 10 years...reminds me of the 70's, 80's ,90's.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/what-we-learned-091910

4. Nebraska's running game is terrifying. Yeah, Washington's defense is weak. But plenty of teams play plenty of weak defenses. Few, if any, have three 100-yard rushers that are all threats to do it again on any week. Nebraska's defense looks on track to be as good as it was a year ago, and it will only get better as the season progresses. If the running game does the same, the Huskers will be a team in the national title picture. So far, the Huskers are the only team in the conference with three blowout wins, and their three includes a road blowout against a Pac-10 team. Taylor Martinez, Roy Helu Jr. and Rex Burkhead give this Huskers offense an edge that was missing in 2009 behind an offensive line that's turned in outstanding performances for the season's first three weeks.

I am really disappointed in Robinson so far, but think that Burkhead and Helu look better than ever. I hope Robinson picks it up though, he showed flashes during the Iowa State game last year of being something great. I just worry about our 3rd string guy in the event that Helu or Burkhead gets injured again.

I agree. They really talked him up over the off-season, talking about his added muscle and power. There was a quote following one fall practice that went something to this effect, "seeing Tray round the corner with the ball in his hands is a sight to behold." I have yet to see him live up to that hype.

That said, if we're griping about our 3rd string running back, you know the season is going well. :horns2

Its just nice to feel relevent and wanted again.... after what this program has been through in the last 10 years...reminds me of the 70's, 80's ,90's.

4. Nebraska's running game is terrifying. Yeah, Washington's defense is weak. But plenty of teams play plenty of weak defenses. Few, if any, have three 100-yard rushers that are all threats to do it again on any week. Nebraska's defense looks on track to be as good as it was a year ago, and it will only get better as the season progresses. If the running game does the same, the Huskers will be a team in the national title picture. So far, the Huskers are the only team in the conference with three blowout wins, and their three includes a road blowout against a Pac-10 team. Taylor Martinez, Roy Helu Jr. and Rex Burkhead give this Huskers offense an edge that was missing in 2009 behind an offensive line that's turned in outstanding performances for the season's first three weeks.

So terrifying he still has Huskers ranked as 3rd in the Big12...

This guy is a homer and should be run out of the Big12 blog.

I am really disappointed in Robinson so far, but think that Burkhead and Helu look better than ever. I hope Robinson picks it up though, he showed flashes during the Iowa State game last year of being something great. I just worry about our 3rd string guy in the event that Helu or Burkhead gets injured again.

I agree. They really talked him up over the off-season, talking about his added muscle and power. There was a quote following one fall practice that went something to this effect, "seeing Tray round the corner with the ball in his hands is a sight to behold." I have yet to see him live up to that hype.

That said, if we're griping about our 3rd string running back, you know the season is going well. :horns2

Tray is a downhill back..running out of the shotgun really doesn't seem to suit his skill set, as he seems most effective running out of traditional I and one back formations where he is able to make one or maybe two cuts then get downhill fast. And apparently the coaching staff feels the same way with Austin Jones gettin the bulk of the carries behind Burkhead and Roy. I'm not giving up on Tray though, he's too talented of a player not to see the field. Once we start conference play I see him getting more carries, we'll need his toughness once we start playing against more physical defenses.

So terrifying he still has Huskers ranked as 3rd in the Big12...

This guy is a homer and should be run out of the Big12 blog.

Expecting a big 12 blogger to pick us, support us, applaud u much, whatever is probably unrealistic. In a few months, we're all gone and the rest of the big 12 fans will still be there. He's going to do his best to keep them happy and not care much of what we think.

Now the fun will be watching them try desperatley to downplay us to save face for their conference. I don't know about you, but I plan to really enjoy being "disrespected" by the Big 12 talking heads. It will make winning this thing and walking away that much sweeter.

I cant wait 2 see JONES get some more carries this year man that kid has some speed 2 burn thats for sure. I wouldnt be surprised if jones gets the 3 spot come confrence play. I think it will help robinson some it seems like their not using him the rite way or something idk I knoe the TD he had againt idaho was called back which it was a TD then he fumbled :bigredn:

Ubben has reason to keep Texas and Oklahoma above Nebraska right now: they have coaches that have won national titles and have put out great teams year in and year out. Every year, you can almost guarantee Oklahoma or Texas is going to be really good, which is why I personally think they deserve to be ahead of us right now too until we beat them.

From what I've seen in his rankings is that he won't move someone up or down unless they give him a reason. Our win over Washington was impressive, but the question is just how good is Washington? Are they middle of the pack or at the bottom of the Pac-10? Sure we've been consistent in producing blow-outs, but there's also been enough questions in those blow-outs. At this point it seems like Oklahoma has the most impressive win (FSU by 30, but again we don't know how good FSU is), followed by Nebraska's win this past weekend, and Texas has been consistent in their mediocre wins.

I don't know but at this point I'd put Nebraska in first in the Big XII because the poor play they've put forward can be attributed to disinterest in blowouts (outside of being soft up the middle). Then Oklahoma who has the most impressive win, but also has looked very mediocre in their other wins. And finally Texas who have just looked mediocre (outside of their defense).

As good as we've looked, I can't help but wonder how we'll run against the Texas D, which looks every bit as fierce as ours, and which I believe is considered the best run D in the nation right now. I hope Martinez doesn't get beat to sh#t from all the hard hits.

Oh boy, that will be a dog fight to be sure. tu's great defense vs Tmart/Roy/Rex. Wow!

On the other side of the ball I expect Bo's blackshirts to bend tu's offense in half.