What We Learned This Week

walksalone

Line looked better, but played against one of the worst defenses in the Pac 10. Not much taken from that for me.

I saw Childs gash our line for numerous big runs, and would have continued if they had not gotten down so fast. We have a problem there I think, every team has been able to run on us, when we hit a strong running team, Bo may have packages to stop it, but right now it is a concern for me.

We learned Locker is no longer a Hypsman front runner I think.

My only concern is that teams that run down hill may have some success on us. When they try to string us out, they realize that we are just flat out too fast to allow too much success outside the hashes. The one big run was due to Lavonte David not knowing the system as he got caught up at the LOS instead of in the gap that Childs ran through.

The thing that comes to mind for me is that (IMO) I think we're close to playing our best football. The last two years it's taken us deep into the season to get to that point. I believe by K-State we'll playing to full capacity.

Very good point and kudos to the staff.

Also, it sure looks like this offense is way, way better than 2008's (Missou has zero chance of stuffing us now) and is a totally different animal than 2009's. Dare I say it?? NU is......back (70s & 80s back....which is pretty damn good.....not 90s yet....."yet")!

Line looked better, but played against one of the worst defenses in the Pac 10. Not much taken from that for me.

I saw Childs gash our line for numerous big runs, and would have continued if they had not gotten down so fast. We have a problem there I think, every team has been able to run on us, when we hit a strong running team, Bo may have packages to stop it, but right now it is a concern for me.

We learned Locker is no longer a Hypsman front runner I think.

My only concern is that teams that run down hill may have some success on us. When they try to string us out, they realize that we are just flat out too fast to allow too much success outside the hashes. The one big run was due to Lavonte David not knowing the system as he got caught up at the LOS instead of in the gap that Childs ran through.

Our run defense will only improve with improved LB experience. I'm sure getting Compton back later in the season won't hurt either.

I am concerned about size and the ability to take the pounding from an Ingram. We have yet to see that.

I to think we are long ways from playing our best, it we have seen we are in trouble I think.. We played a very over hyped team that was not a top 25 team. We do the same thing to Texas, then maybe we can talk about being back and close to being at the top of our game.

I think we will, but that level has not been reached or proven. The chance will come in a few weeks.

• Fire 1

About the rush defense bit.

Kansas State is the most immediate threat running the ball. Make no mistake, they have an absolute beast at running back. The good news for us is that's all they have. Only this and nothing more. KState had gobs of trouble putting Iowa State away, the same Iowa State that got smushed by Iowa the week before.

Texas has looked the antichrist of impressive so far this season. Their downhill running experiment might not last the season once they start stacking up against the Nebraskas and Oklahomas of the world.

By the time we get Compton back, I fully expect our rush defense to be solid. David and Martin are learning quickly on the fly, and as long as the offense doesn't spot the other team stupid points, there is not much to be concerned about. Even without Will, Nebraska is not in a position talent wise where we need to bite our nails over the likes of Kansas State. Our D is lighting fast, very strong, and as opportunistic as anyone in the country. The only thing that will lose us games like that is inexcusable mistakes and turnovers.

Few observations on the topic and above posts.

1. It was Ricky that got beat on the Kearse TD. He was up with the LBs after biting on the run fake hard. There were a couple of other times throughout the fame where you can see Ricky storming the line on a run fake only to slam on the brakes, hitting the oh $hit button, and sprinting back to get deep on pass support. That was what we observed while watching the game but NONE of us actually know who had what responsibilities so all we can do is speculate.

2. The defense will be A LOT better against the run when Compton gets back. The communication among the shirts will improve 10 fold and his experience will help the total package get better. Much props to David and Martin trying for the crash course and learning on the fly, but Will should shore up a lot of the issues.

3. However, going off of point 2, the way for a team to beat us now and in the future in my eyes is to have a plan of power running and stick to it. Any team that thinks they can sit back and try to pass or run laterally against the shirts is nuts. What Bo can do with a dime defense pressure wise is amazing. Thus a team that can have some committed success running up the gut that loosens our secondary up is probably our biggest threat.

K-State actually fits the mold of point 3, but I will take their QB trying throw all day, not a threat. Big old #8 is though, but he will needs more help than the stadium full of yokels trying to get one last word in before the ships sails east.

If we limit our opponents to a power run game, I'm happy with that. My opinion is that we win a LOT of games limiting opponents to running the ball. Without a passing threat we can walk Hagg up to the line for run support, maybe Gomes too, and we're in good shape.

Also, if anyone thinks they're going to go at us with a run game and wear down the D Line they'd better think again. Crick and Steinkuhler can take a breather while Randle and Moore shore up the defense. I'm not worried about that one bit.

Our depth is going to win us a couple of games this year, you watch.

The thing that comes to mind for me is that (IMO) I think we're close to playing our best football. The last two years it's taken us deep into the season to get to that point. I believe by K-State we'll playing to full capacity.

Very good point and kudos to the staff.

Also, it sure looks like this offense is way, way better than 2008's (Missou has zero chance of stuffing us now) and is a totally different animal than 2009's. Dare I say it?? NU is......back (70s & 80s back....which is pretty damn good.....not 90s yet....."yet")!

Understand what both of you are saying and I have nothing but respect for both of you. But I hope that we don't hit our peak in early October. What I think you ment to say is that we are playing better ball as of now than we were last season to this point, but I hope we continue to improve each and every week; and I am sure Coach Bo would say the same.

Side Note- We need a Husker flag on the icons sidebar. I don't like everything being about the blackshirts. Everybody knows that I am completely excited that we have a great defense, but I don't like how we support half of the team more than that other.

I am concerned about size and the ability to take the pounding from an Ingram. We have yet to see that.

I to think we are long ways from playing our best, it we have seen we are in trouble I think.. We played a very over hyped team that was not a top 25 team. We do the same thing to Texas, then maybe we can talk about being back and close to being at the top of our game.

I think we will, but that level has not been reached or proven. The chance will come in a few weeks.

Ik its not very popular, but i agree with this. I don't think we are in trouble though, i just didn't necessarily see anything eye-popping from this team. Washington's defense was horrible, their offense was mediocre... there a long ways away. I still say 11-3 or 12-2 this year, but with lots of potential, just depends on how much we improve. BTW, has ronss posted since the Washington game? he dept saying we were gonna lose and that we were still 2-3 years away. Wonder what he has to say about all this??

Well, unless we make it to the NC game, are we really going to see as physical a team as an Alabama? I think not.

Most of the teams in our conference are spread offenses that seem to be more inclined to run the ball. They use the run to balance the passing game. The lone exception might be KSU.

I would say we're the lone physical team in the Big XII.

Well, unless we make it to the NC game, are we really going to see as physical a team as an Alabama? I think not.

Most of the teams in our conference are spread offenses that seem to be more inclined to run the ball. They use the run to balance the passing game. The lone exception might be KSU.

I dunno about KSU. I'd have to see it before I believed it. Kendall Hunter at Okie Lite is good, but no blocking up front this year. Demarco Murray is great, and has a solid O-line in front of him. But we won’t see OU this year. Unless they make it to the CCG. UT might be the best we face this year in the Big 12.

I dunno about KSU. I'd have to see it before I believed it. Kendall Hunter at Okie Lite is good, but no blocking up front this year. Demarco Murray is great, and has a solid O-line in front of him. But we won’t see OU this year. Unless they make it to the CCG. UT might be the best we face this year in the Big 12.

Hence the reason I said "might". Is Ok St, UT, or OU willing to go all out smashmouth football? I don't think so. They either have one or the other, but not necessarily both.

Hence the reason I said "might". Is Ok St, UT, or OU willing to go all out smashmouth football? I don't think so. They either have one or the other, but not necessarily both.

Ha ha—“hence”. Are you a lawyer or something? Just in case you are, I will translate what I said about OU into your vernacular:

Whereas, said Oklahoma Sooners (hereinafter “Friggin Hillbillies”) may have an above average run game featuring one Demcus Murray and the services of a plurality of solid offensive lineman. However, said Friggin Hillbillies won’t play the mighty Nebraska Cornhuskers until such time as the Friggin Hillbillies qualify to play in the Big 12 conference title game.

• Fire 2

Ha ha—“hence”. Are you a lawyer or something? Just in case you are, I will translate what I said about OU into your vernacular:

Whereas, said Oklahoma Sooners (hereinafter “Friggin Hillbillies”) may have an above average run game featuring one Demcus Murray and the services of a plurality of solid offensive lineman. However, said Friggin Hillbillies won’t play the mighty Nebraska Cornhuskers until such time as the Friggin Hillbillies qualify to play in the Big 12 conference title game.

Na, hoss, not a lawyer. If I was, i'd be on the board a hell of a lot more, not to mention providing sound legal advice to all board members.

Yeah, OU, aka "buck toothed, sister bangin', mouth breathing, f'n hillbillies" may have the next best run game to us. But, in my estimation, they can't pound the rock with the alacrity and tenacity that we can.

• Fire 1

Na, hoss, not a lawyer. If I was, i'd be on the board a hell of a lot more, not to mention providing sound legal advice to all board members.

Yeah, OU, aka "buck toothed, sister bangin', mouth breathing, f'n hillbillies" may have the next best run game to us. But, in my estimation, they can't pound the rock with the alacrity and tenacity that we can.

Sorry I couldn't resist. :laughpound