The Niles Paul Thread

a) maybe you guys didin't see the Mizery game last year...

b ) wouldn't we need at least a semblance of a vertical passing game for NP to be a scoring threat?

c) he will break a big return in a big game this year, mark it down.

At this point we're not asking for him to be a scoring threat. We're asking him to hang on to the stupid football when he gets it. One step at a time.

Exactly, baby steps.

The way some football players hold the ball today is mind blowing. Nowadays kids just want to palm the ball and run with it.

Niles is a threat on our offense but he scares me everytime he has the ball. Kinnie is the true threat on offense in our receiving corps and I'm glad we have him for another year.

The way some football players hold the ball today is mind blowing. Nowadays kids just want to palm the ball and run with it.

Niles is a threat on our offense but he scares me everytime he has the ball. Kinnie is the true threat on offense in our receiving corps and I'm glad we have him for another year.

While I agree Kinnie has become the true receiving threat, I'd say he palms the ball just as much if not more than Paul. The difference with Kinnie is that he knows when to tuck it and how to maintain possession when he gets into traffic.

I'm still in the guys corner. At some point he's gotta figure it out.... right?

You'd have hoped it would come by now, and there's no guarantee he ever will.

I think you have to use him where his mistakes won't kill you. He brings too much to the table to bench him, so you limit the damage. Dropping a pass or fumbling downfield hurts, but not enough to negate what he can do as a receiver. Fumbling a punt is often a real game changer, and he does that more than he changes a game with a long return. IMO, keep him as a wide out (especially with his improved blocking), but not as a returner, or in the wildcat.

As the punt floated his way, Niles Paul knew one thing for certain: He wasn't about to wave his hand.

"I reached the point where I was like, ‘'I don't care if they're in my face, I'm not going to fair catch it,'" Paul said. "Because I just wanted to touch the ball. I just wanted to try to make a play, to get everybody amped because I know I can do that on a punt return."

YIKES! This is the part that scares me about this guy, mostly because......

Unfortunately for Paul, the punt return didn't go any better than the rest of the night. Fighting for extra yards, he fumbled, and was fortunate to have the ball recovered by a teammate.

Me thinks this might've been part of the reason he didn't get any touches in spite of apparent advantage he had on SDSU DBs. When you try to do too much, you don't do the simple things correctly, and it comes back to bite ya.