The Niles Paul Thread

. Personally, I'm dead to him.

Of course you're dead to him. He has no idea you exist ;)

Don't make the mistake of thinking I don't agree with you that there is much to criticize him about. I just want to make sure he's being criticized of things he's really owns. I will also never agree that players give fans an excuse to act poorly. Everyone should own their own mistakes.

This I agree with 100%, and it makes me wonder why we're talking about this as if we're on opposite sides of the fence.

Players should take criticism as well as praise for their failures and their accomplishments. I think everyone agrees with this.

Players should not be threatened, coerced, made the target of racism, etc, ESPECIALLY in their private lives. I think we all agree on this as well.

That said, I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about.

I was attempting to tell you that I wasn't trying to have an argument. I just wanted to know if he gave those answers in response to being asked if he had gone to coaches about being involved in the game plan more. That is really all I wanted answered. I'm telling you, from coaching and playing football, that kids at every level whine and plead for more touches. It's just the way it is. I've seen it on both successful and bad teams that I've been on. My friends who went on to play in college say pretty much the same thing. I mean, let's be realistic, we have a redshirt freshman qb who threatened to transfer at one point. It is what it is. At best, he's guilty of being too honest. At worst, he really needs to not put himself out there, because it's setting himself up for failure, and to most Nebraskans it looks bad. I bet Mike McNeil has had a few things to say to coaches from time to time about getting the ball more. He was just wise enough to keep it out of the media.

The thing that perplexes me most about Niles, is that the hardest part about being a wide receiver in D-1 football is just getting open. He's got that part down, but he trips up on the 'easy' thing: catching the football.

Seriously, my head hurts.

If you ask me he just needs to block out everything and focus on playing for his teammates (and coaches), and the rest of it will fall in place.

I don't think anyone cares if Niles tells Watson or Bo that he wants the ball. The attention-getting thing to most people was the article in the Weird Harold, because Huskers don't do that. That article, combined with the drops against Texas, are why he's getting more focus than Kinnie and/or Burkhead and/or Enunwa, all of whom also dropped easy catches.

I'm also 100% in Niles' corner on-field. Even though he's frustrating, I still love the guy. He's as Husker as you get.

• Fire 1

I don't think anyone cares if Niles tells Watson or Bo that he wants the ball. The attention-getting thing to most people was the article in the Weird Harold, because Huskers don't do that. That article, combined with the drops against Texas, are why he's getting more focus than Kinnie and/or Burkhead and/or Enunwa, all of whom also dropped easy catches.

I'm also 100% in Niles' corner on-field. Even though he's frustrating, I still love the guy. He's as Husker as you get.

I don't think you can sit there and tell me with a straight face that nobody thinks Niles shouldn't be asking coaches for the ball, because there's people out there who don't understand the extent to which that regularly happens in athletics. I'm allowed to address that thought.

In any case, football players don't have to do any attention-getting here. I think there's a whole lot more demand for Husker material in the news than there is material. If you know what I mean...

Hopefully Niles learned a valuable lesson that some questions shouldn't be answered too honestly. Might make him a good husband someday.

I don't think you can sit there and tell me with a straight face that nobody thinks Niles shouldn't be asking coaches for the ball, because there's people out there who don't understand the extent to which that regularly happens in athletics. I'm allowed to address that thought.

Can you show me who has posted that thought? I haven't seen it here at HuskerBoard. All I've seen is people ragging on him for the OWH quotes.

Can you show me who has posted that thought? I haven't seen it here at HuskerBoard. All I've seen is people ragging on him for the OWH quotes.

If someone is going to rag on someone for their quotes to a newspaper, do you feel is it unreasonable for me, as someone who wants to form his own opinion, to wonder what, if anything, he was asked that lead to giving those responses? I did not see the press conference, just read the paper. It just hit me after the article about TM's demeanor at the Texas game that if Dirk and company want to make a player come off in a certain way, it is well within their power. Even in this very thread I have seen that people think of what Niles said as, "calling out Watson." I'm sorry, but that's not what I took from that. At all.

Do I think its worse to launch unprovoked into a long winded diatribe about why you feel you should get the ball more, than to say give an honest answer about if you've had any discussions with the coaching staff about getting the ball more? Yes. It's also pretty easy to clear up if someone here has actually seen the press conference. Leaving out what questions went with which answer makes for a better, more fluid read, but it also leaves a lot open for interpretation.

If we're going to use someones quotes to a newspaper as evidence of why they are this or that, should we not also submit for consideration that he's also been vocal about embracing his new role as a blocker, and taking pride in taking on that role for the team? I'm not making excuses for him. Taylor threatened to take his ball and go home and then laid an egg on on Saturday. Better/worse than what Niles did?

People can attack his play all they want, and deservedly so. It's just when we get into character issues that I start becoming very cautious. Nearly every single player who signs up to play for Nebraska works very hard, and I feel if I owe them anything, it's to at least make sure I'm fair in my assessments.

EDIT: But what's the deal with ragging on him for playing for his team and not the fans? Someone brought up that these players are of age to serve in the military and made a comparison. I hate to break it to you, but those guys go over there and do it day after day for each other. That's what makes people do crazy sh#t and get Medals of Honor. Not the people back on the block.

EDIT x2:

Wow, call me crazy but its a TEAM sport called Football. Maybe every player on the team could bitch about the playing time they DESERVE or the carries they DESERVE. I dont hear helu bitchin about the number of carries he DESERVES, while sharing with Burhead. I don't hear Green or Lee (true team players) bitch about playing time they DESERVE. What about all the WR's who arent' even getting a chance to play at all, after years of hard work every day in practice.

Not from HB but one of the things I had read that stuck out to me. Now it's up to you about how tedious/how much hair splitting you want to do. Or you could just do me a favor and imagine that it's not that hard to imagine some of them Nebraska folk bein' a little upset that Niles asks for the ball, period. This is the line of thinking I get a little miffed over. Talented skill players want the ball, and they ask for it all the time. Period. We only heard about it because Niles was dumb enough to say it out loud. Otherwise, nobody would even know.

EDIT: But what's the deal with ragging on him for playing for his team and not the fans? Someone brought up that these players are of age to serve in the military and made a comparison. I hate to break it to you, but those guys go over there and do it day after day for each other. That's what makes people do crazy sh#t and get Medals of Honor. Not the people back on the block.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with what you are saying here.

People join the military to protect their country and families. When they're fighting, they're doing it to save the lives of the men they are with AND to protect the land they love to make our lives better. It's not one or the other and it's grossly unrealistic to assume so. My uncle constantly proclaims the only thing that got him through Iraq was the thought of making America a safer place and the hope of seeing his family again. I'm not saying this is what all the men think, but to say they only think one way...that's ludicrous.

And second, a football team is the same way. Sure, they play for each other, but they also HAVE to play for the fans. It's because of thousands of people (like me) that pay for student tickets and pay tuition in order for them to get a free ride through college just to catch a few balls and win some games. Because of that, we are all owed their best effort. This isn't pop-warner here. This is division one football.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with what you are saying here.

People join the military to protect their country and families. When they're fighting, they're doing it to save the lives of the men they are with AND to protect the land they love to make our lives better. It's not one or the other and it's grossly unrealistic to assume so. My uncle constantly proclaims the only thing that got him through Iraq was the thought of making America a safer place and the hope of seeing his family again. I'm not saying this is what all the men think, but to say they only think one way...that's ludicrous.

And second, a football team is the same way. Sure, they play for each other, but they also HAVE to play for the fans. It's because of thousands of people (like me) that pay for student tickets and pay tuition in order for them to get a free ride through college just to catch a few balls and win some games. Because of that, we are all owed their best effort. This isn't pop-warner here. This is division one football.

I'm telling you what I've lived and what I've gleaned from taking care of many wounded men and women. Sure, doing stuff for the people back home gets people through the day to day of being in a combat zone. But when the time comes to sell out your body, that's for the guys you've bled and drank with for the last 3 years. Because you know what? Doing that heroic act is probably not going to get you home to see your family.

Can you not see Bo's hand and the staff's coaching in what Niles is saying? Niles was calmer as a sophomore. He's a Nebraska kid that tries to do too much because he feels he has to. Bo has told the kids that they play for Nebraska, something bigger than themselves. Yet now he's being told he needs to just play for his team. Well, duh. Part of coaching is saying different things to different people based on what they need to hear. To me it's the only logical conclusion when you look at it as an odd change of message.

And I'm sorry, but I have student tickets too. The football program pays for itself. This University needs my tuition to support the football team like I need another hole in my head. This University needs my tuition to pay for my education. I see what this is about, you are denied your sense of belonging by Niles comments. Do not make the mistake of taking it that way. It's an approach his coaches took to getting him to calm the hell down and just take care of what's in front of him.

No one has to play for the fans. If they do, cool, but if they play for each other the rest should take care of itself. Again, Niles needs to just learn what he should and should not say out loud.

EDIT: Just to save you some trouble man, I 100% recognize the financial support the fans and alumni provide and all of that. Nebraska football would be in no way or shape as awesome as it is without the fans. What I'm saying is that if he keeps his mouth shut and doesn't say it out loud nobody will know the difference. Again, it goes back to Niles just needing to do himself a favor and let his play do the talking. Some of the things he's said were not wise, as we're here talking about it now.

EDIT 2: After watching the Bo Pelini show, it's not effort that was lacking. It was 'little' things like making catches. Our guys got themselves into a position to succeed, they just did not do it. Sorry if anything sounded harsh, by the way.

I'm telling you what I've lived and what I've gleaned from taking care of many wounded men and women. If you want to argue that based on what someone else told you, that's cool. Sure, doing stuff for the people back home gets people through the day to day of being in a combat zone. But when the time comes to sell out your body, that's for the guys you've bled and drank with for the last 3 years.

I'm not arguing the he said she said of what it means to be in the army. I've never served, so I'm only going off of what I've heard. But what your saying is completely contrary to what I hear from both one of my good friends (who just got back from tour) and my uncle (who served two tours). Before this gets into a you-know-what match, my only point is that the army is not some objective experience and you shouldn't make it out to be whether that is or isn't your intent.

Can you not see Bo's hand and the staff's coaching in what Niles is saying? Niles was calmer as a sophomore. He's a Nebraska kid that tries to do too much because he feels he has to. Bo has told the kids that they play for Nebraska, something bigger than themselves. Yet now he's being told he needs to just play for his team. Well, duh. Part of coaching is saying different things to different.

Of course he was quieter as a sophomore. He finished seventh in total receptions on the year. He is supposed to be the number one receiver on our team, and he is playing with the inconsistencies you'd expect of a younger guy. He is frustrated with his play and I understand that, but you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

And I'm sorry, but I have student tickets too. The football program pays for itself. This University needs my tuition to support the football team like I need another hole in my head. This University needs my tuition to pay for my education. I see what this is about, you are denied your sense of belonging by Niles comments. You need to get over it. It's an approach his coaches took to getting him to calm the hell down and just take care of what's in front of him.

For starters - without the fans, the football players AND the athletic department receive no revenue. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I have some sense of belonging needing to be fulfilled, because it is clearly some context you analyzed that wasn't there. This isn't something personal, it's reality. Without the fans the program is nothing. The athletic department receives millions in revenues each game (which is why we are so dead set on having at least seven home games a year).

No one has to play for the fans. If they do, cool, but if they play for each other the rest should take care of itself. Again, Niles needs to just learn what he should and should not say out loud.

Again, they don't need to tell me or anybody else anything, but to think that what they do on the field isn't in direct correlation to the fans being in the stands is absolutely dumb-founding. It doesn't really matter if he wants to admit it or not: we're the reason he has a scholarship at a division one football university. Sure, "play for the team", but the reality of the situation is that the fans are the reason you are where you are. You (as in Paul) nor anybody else should be ignorant of that.

Edit - Don't worry about harshness. Nothing wrong with being strong-footed with your opinions. I'm used to people throwing arguments in my face what with debate in high school and being a sports broadcasting major. It happens.

Sometimes, just need to agree to disagree on some issues.

I edited much of most post because I felt I came on too strongly the first time. Of course my experience is going to be different. I spent nearly the entire time with people who had made a physical sacrifice. I'm not talking about getting through the day to day. I'm talking about the time when you have to jump on the proverbial grenade. Those times when choice of action due to circumstance runs contrary to humanities innate survival instinct. I'm talking about those moments that people write books about. Well, the ones about those moments... You're talking about getting through a patrol. I'm talking about everything that happens after the side of the road explodes. EDIT: Everyone has their own experiences in war and I'm not unwelcoming to disagreement.

I don't know where you're getting seats in the stand. I have an entire edit devoted to that. I'm talking about the tuition you and I pay. That point and that point only. I fully recognize what the fan base does for the program. I'm talking about the checks you and I write at Canfield.

I get the idea that you have a sense of belonging because in general people seem to be taking it personally. I do not see it that way. Niles might be a more excitable type of personality on the field. If telling him to not worry about about the fans and just worry about his teammates helps him focus, I'm ok with that. I did say that he should just probably not be so honest and say those things out loud because they won't be received well.

EDIT: I think we're getting pretty tangential and off topic. Someone else brought up the military side of things and I kind of brought up but didn't think it was that relevant in the first place. If you wanted to talk about it off topic I wouldn't mind. It is too long of a subject to discuss here. Doing what you have to often does get you home to see your loved ones. Sometimes it doesn't, though. Like I said, too long and not relevant. We expect different things of both groups of people and different sacrifices are required. I kind of regret bringing it up in the first place. People comparing our players to military age people just made me think it was strange to make that comparison then complain about his motives. I would just be more concerned with his results, not his reason for producing, if you know what I mean.

I get the idea that you have a sense of belonging because in general people seem to be taking it personally. I do not see it that way. Niles might be a more excitable type of personality on the field. If telling him to not worry about about the fans and just worry about his teammates helps him focus, I'm ok with that. I did say that he should just probably not be so honest and say those things out loud because they won't be received well.

I had already responded by the time you put in edits, and I didn't want to edit mine because then it would have just looked odd. I understand your points more thoroughly now though so thank you for expanding on them.

I have no problem with people telling him to not worry about the fans either, because that's what he has to do. If you let what the fans think and do creep into your mind, then you aren't going to perform well. My point, more or less, is what you iterated: he shouldn't try to be honest about his feelings with knee-jerk comments. I thought you were arguing that the fans don't mean anything, which I now see is not what you meant.

I don't know. If I were a head coach the fans would be off limits. It's way too counter-productive to call out your fans. I'd have a stiff punishment for Niles. You keep that stuff in house and you know why? It's a black eye to the university. We KNOW this happens everywhere. It doesn't need to make the press...and certainly not ESPN. I don't care what school you follow. A player points out negative crap about your school.....you should be upset. Sit him. If he can't avoid confrontation or de-escalate the situation then don't put him in a position to be in such a situation. Niles Paul should have a seat until he keeps his mouth shut.

Just so we're clear...the fans he's talking about are pathetic.

I don't know. If I were a head coach the fans would be off limits. It's way too counter-productive to call out your fans. I'd have a stiff punishment for Niles. You keep that stuff in house and you know why? It's a black eye to the university. We KNOW this happens everywhere.

Yeah. I agree with Niles' stance completely, but the fact that he is airing any of this out is really a big warning cloud for me. Could mean nothing, but it could be not such a good sign about the state of our team this year.

I don't know. If I were a head coach the fans would be off limits. It's way too counter-productive to call out your fans. I'd have a stiff punishment for Niles. You keep that stuff in house and you know why? It's a black eye to the university. We KNOW this happens everywhere. It doesn't need to make the press...and certainly not ESPN. I don't care what school you follow. A player points out negative crap about your school.....you should be upset. Sit him. If he can't avoid confrontation or de-escalate the situation then don't put him in a position to be in such a situation. Niles Paul should have a seat until he keeps his mouth shut.

Just so we're clear...the fans he's talking about are pathetic.

ESPN finds local stories and runs with them. If one of the Lincoln or Omaha papers publishes something there's pretty much no way ESPN won't find out about it.

I am a little late weighing in on this, but here’s my 2 cents worth. Sure, it was rude that fans yelled remarks at Niles Paul when he was with his family. Boo freaking hoo. It was rude that Niles dropped several balls that could have won the game for us. The biggest game of the season, no less. Nile Paul would have been the toast of the town with these same fans if he had made some catches and helped us beat UT. That's just the way fans are.

And Nile Paul better grow some thick hide real quick if he wants to play on Sundays. If Niles makes it to the NFL—which is certainly not a lock at this point—he is going to endure a LOT worse than that from their fans if he drops catches. That, and he'll be out of a job.