The Niles Paul Thread

As the punt floated his way, Niles Paul knew one thing for certain: He wasn't about to wave his hand.

"I reached the point where I was like, ‘'I don't care if they're in my face, I'm not going to fair catch it,'" Paul said. "Because I just wanted to touch the ball. I just wanted to try to make a play, to get everybody amped because I know I can do that on a punt return."

YIKES! This is the part that scares me about this guy, mostly because......

Unfortunately for Paul, the punt return didn't go any better than the rest of the night. Fighting for extra yards, he fumbled, and was fortunate to have the ball recovered by a teammate.

Me thinks this might've been part of the reason he didn't get any touches in spite of apparent advantage he had on SDSU DBs. When you try to do too much, you don't do the simple things correctly, and it comes back to bite ya.

Niles is now sounding like making a high light reel is more important than doing what is right for the team...we don't need that crap!

Part of me wants to see Wats give Niles another shot at the wildcat formation. I know he totally biffed vs Idaho, but had he been able to tuck that ball quicker instead of fumbling the fake handoff, there was absolutely no one in his way on the left side - he woulda gone the distance.

The ship has sailed in my opinion with Niles Paul. The kid just can not get out of his own way. He has all of the athletic ability in the world but he just can not stay out of his own way. The only player that has ever stopped Niles Paul is Niles Paul. I hate to do it as well, but it is time to put up or shut up for him.

Agreed.

As many have stated, he lacks consistency. Some talent, but lacks focus. I believe it all boils down to his work ethic. Perhaps bought into all the preseason hype surrounding him.

After the few big plays he has had over the years, I wanted to be a fan and believe he was a real playmaker, I really did....but I am not a fan nor do I believe he is or will be a difference maker.

• 3 weeks later...

Putting the dropped passes aside, what the heck was up with Paul running away from and refusing to field the punts that pinned Nebraska deep in the second half? He needs to be replaced in that role ASAP!!!

That's the problem with Niles Paul. You can't bench the guy because he's one play from the end zone, every time. It would be like if Martinez suddenly got a case of the yips - do you bench him when he fumbles, knowing the next play could be an 80-yard lightning streak down the sideline? That's a hard choice to make. Paul has all the ability in the world. The most frustrating thing about the guy is he could be a marquee player for this offense, and we've seen him do it several times. He's had brilliant runs after catch, and the next play dropped a sure TD.

The one single play that best summarizes Niles Paul's career at Nebraska was that fumble against ISU when he made a pretty nice catch, eluded the DB, then as he was tight-roping down the sideline at blazing speed he knocks the ball against his own body, fumbling it IN BOUNDS, and away from himself so quickly that he can't recover it, AND right into the hands of the ISU safety. Pure brilliance followed by mind-numbing boneheadedness.

The Niles giveth, and the Niles taketh away.

Putting the dropped passes aside, what the heck was up with Paul running away from and refusing to field the punts that pinned Nebraska deep in the second half? He needs to be replaced in that role ASAP!!!

That's the problem with Niles Paul. You can't bench the guy because he's one play from the end zone, every time. It would be like if Martinez suddenly got a case of the yips - do you bench him when he fumbles, knowing the next play could be an 80-yard lightning streak down the sideline? That's a hard choice to make. Paul has all the ability in the world. The most frustrating thing about the guy is he could be a marquee player for this offense, and we've seen him do it several times. He's had brilliant runs after catch, and the next play dropped a sure TD.

The one single play that best summarizes Niles Paul's career at Nebraska was that fumble against ISU when he made a pretty nice catch, eluded the DB, then as he was tight-roping down the sideline at blazing speed he knocks the ball against his own body, fumbling it IN BOUNDS, and away from himself so quickly that he can't recover it, AND right into the hands of the ISU safety. Pure brilliance followed by mind-numbing boneheadedness.

The Niles giveth, and the Niles taketh away.

Agreed, but I'm also fed up with seeing him cost us games or at least have a huge role in why we lose big games. I think it's time to switch it up. He does more bad than good IMO.

He ran towards the punter's rugby style punt one time and the guy kicked it to the other side of the field. The other time he did the opposite, look Niles has had a rough year and I am upset at his lack of leadership and productivity at WR but those punt returns were not his fault. You have to have two deep guys against a rugby punt like that for that exact reason. You can't run down a line drive kick that is bouncing in bounds if the guy can direction it to the other side of the field as the returner.

Chalk this one up to coaching, fellas.

I am sick of watching him drop pass after pass. Rex and Brandon both dropped BIG passes as well, but that was highly uncharacteristic of both of them. Niles Paul needs to suffer the consequences of playing sh*tty football. Thenarse as well. Sit them both down. Give Marlowe, Osborne, and Hyland a chance. Slide Gomes back to safety with PJ Smith and put Compton at the other backer spot.

Niles Paul needs to be held accountable.