The Niles Paul Thread

I can't disagree with that, but I'll throw in another "but". These are still just kids, they take the losses harder than we do and they DO read these boards and they DO take these shots personal. That certainly doesn't mean that they should be excluded from any criticism at all. My point is simply, when making these comments, just remember who you are making them to, these aren't seasoned professionals, they are simply college kids playing a game.

Of course, and I think we do a good job of that around here. I have seen a lot of frustration but nothing over the top.

Like I said, if there are posts that cross the line in their criticism of the players or coaches, report those posts and the Mods will take a look at them. We have removed several threads/posts since the Texas game, but to my knowledge those were mostly Texas trolls. Again, I have yet to see a post that crosses the line. Let me or any other Mod know if you do, and that goes for everyone reading this thread.

knapplc.. that really hurt...

not really.. but i have no desire or care to go on other teams forums. as for Internet-haters thats not the problem. im sure most of you have seen husker players out in the "real world" and have had the courage to say hi, shake their hands and say thank you and somewhat wanna brag you met a local celebrity.. but lets see you say the things to them that you say on the forums to their face.. you would never! dont act like you would.. i am ashamed of how they are treated when they are not in jerseys. all i am saying is respect the guys, but if you guys can't do that..im sorry your parents didn't teach you that.. they are playing for you! take your 2 hands and put them together, repeatedly. over and over.. thats what they call a clap.. support em!

GBR!

Would you?

i guess for my 2 posts of what ive said about the players...yes

Thats all weel and fine, but huskerboard is actually pretty good to the players unless they miss up big time.

not really.. but i have no desire or care to go on other teams forums. as for Internet-haters thats not the problem. im sure most of you have seen husker players out in the "real world" and have had the courage to say hi, shake their hands and say thank you and somewhat wanna brag you met a local celebrity.. but lets see you say the things to them that you say on the forums to their face.. you would never! dont act like you would.. i am ashamed of how they are treated when they are not in jerseys. all i am saying is respect the guys, but if you guys can't do that..im sorry your parents didn't teach you that.. they are playing for you! take your 2 hands and put them together, repeatedly. over and over.. thats what they call a clap.. support em!

I think this is an interesting post. You have a point that many of the things that are posted here wouldn't be said to the players' faces, but that cuts both ways. It cuts several ways, in fact.

First, I have met several players over the past year, including Zac Lee three separate times. I've chatted with Lee each time, just general stuff about the game, how his arm is doing, stuff like that. I asked him how he felt the day after he took 1,000 body shots against Oklahoma last year. One thing I did NOT do was gush all over him like a schoolgirl with a crush, even though I've gushed about him several times on the boards. You just don't do that in person. It's not in the nature of most Nebraskans to be overly effusive one way or the other in person.

I have never met Niles in person. If I did, I'd shake his hand, tell him how happy I am that he's a Husker, and wish him well. I would not overtly criticize him to his face, but I would also not overtly praise him, either. In person is a totally different dynamic than over the internets.

I can't disagree with that, but I'll throw in another "but". These are still just kids, they take the losses harder than we do and they DO read these boards and they DO take these shots personal. That certainly doesn't mean that they should be excluded from any criticism at all. My point is simply, when making these comments, just remember who you are making them to, these aren't seasoned professionals, they are simply college kids playing a game.

Of course, and I think we do a good job of that around here. I have seen a lot of frustration but nothing over the top.

Like I said, if there are posts that cross the line in their criticism of the players or coaches, report those posts and the Mods will take a look at them. We have removed several threads/posts since the Texas game, but to my knowledge those were mostly Texas trolls. Again, I have yet to see a post that crosses the line. Let me or any other Mod know if you do, and that goes for everyone reading this thread.

thank you knapplc.. no bad blood here.. for ex. do we really need to bring up duis, mips, mics after it has happened and go into it? ive never seen this but i could def see it.. ppl posting about kids not being able to play due to grades etc..and breaking it down and calling the players idiots, morons, dummies... you know what i'm saying? that has nothing to due with us fans.

GBR!

Would you?

i guess for my 2 posts of what ive said about the players...yes

Thats all weel and fine, but huskerboard is actually pretty good to the players unless they miss up big time.

Exactly. This is actually one of the more positive boards that you will read.

thank you knapplc.. no bad blood here.. for ex. do we really need to bring up duis, mips, mics after it has happened and go into it? ive never seen this but i could def see it.. ppl posting about kids not being able to play due to grades etc..and breaking it down and calling the players idiots, morons, dummies... you know what i'm saying? that has nothing to due with us fans.

Does that have nothing to do with us fans? I'm a taxpayer and a booster and an ex-student of UNL. I've gone to more than fifty games and I have bought entirely too much Husker merchandise over the years. A lot of my money goes into that football program – far more than I can afford, really. Doesn't that kind of support grant me some rights to feedback for the coaches and players? I think it does.

The whole of Husker Football is a symbiotic relationship. Without the team there are no fans. Without the fans there are no Huskers. Without each other, we're nothing. I think we most definitely have a say in the program, even if that say is from way, way, WAY off the sidelines.

Does that have nothing to do with us fans? I'm a taxpayer and a booster and an ex-student of UNL. I've gone to more than fifty games and I have bought entirely too much Husker merchandise over the years. A lot of my money goes into that football program – far more than I can afford, really. Doesn't that kind of support grant me some rights to feedback for the coaches and players? I think it does.

The whole of Husker Football is a symbiotic relationship. Without the team there are no fans. Without the fans there are no Huskers. Without each other, we're nothing. I think we most definitely have a say in the program, even if that say is from way, way, WAY off the sidelines.

disagree..

so your saying cuz you a buy a husker shirt.. you have the right to talk about the players personal life? i guess we have different morals, but thats fine.. i can't sway you and change you.. definitely and interesting outlook

Again, everyone has the "right" to say what they want, especially on an internet message board. However, that doesn't change the fact that when it's directed at players, it's either going to do no good at all, if the player doesn't see it, or it's going to do damage, if the player does in fact read it.

Everyone has the right to say, write what they want, again, just keep in perspective and realize who these KIDS are. Just because they play big time sports at a big time university DOES NOT make them immune to what they hear/read.

:facepalm:

They are young men. They are not children, and they are not going to cry themselves to sleep because the naughty people on the internet said a cross word at them. When they play like dog ass they have a reasonable expectation to take some flak for it.

Posts like this just baffle me. What do you think the fans are going to do? Be happy our team played 200% below the level of ability we know they have? Do you really think we're not going to cry in our beer a little bit? Do you really think the players that had bizarre mental lapses which cost us the game aren't going to be discussed? If so, you have an entirely unrealistic view of the world.

Further, I recommend you take some time, google some message boards for other teams, and see how those fans discuss their players and coaches after losses. If what you're seeing on HuskerBoard bothers you, you're going to flat-out have a conniption when you see how other fans react to their team's losses. Better have some paramedics standing by.

EDIT - This goes for anyone reading the boards: If you see a post where a player or coach is unreasonably attacked, report the post. The Mod team will look at it, and take action if necessary. Maybe I'm missing some posts where the criticism goes over the top. So far, I haven't personally seen them, but I don't read everything on these boards.

Mostly I just follow Fro around and read his stuff.

To the original poster. Sometimes the truth hurts. I have to call out young men when I coach, do I like to do it? No, but maybe they can learn and grow from it. Maybe the next time they will play like they are coached to play. If they don't respond they are reassigned within the team. I can't have a front line starter cost the team a game in the future.

There is one kid/young man getting the headlines for being pulled on Saturday. Was it deserved? Not really in my opinion but I don't get paid 2 million plus a year to coach the Huskers.

There are several other players that deserved to be benched on Saturday.

Did you see what happened to the special teams player that knocked Bo down and caused a personal foul penalty that shortened the field? I saw Bo say something to him and motion to the bench. I am assuming he told him to hit the showers, he was out of the game. So you have two kids/young men that were yanked from the game. What is sad, those kids were at least trying.

I re-watched most of the game a couple times trying to see things I didn't see when this was happening live.

If you haven't, please watch the tape again. The entire team pretty much laid an egg for the this game. One player stands out, Eric Hagg, he wrapped up his tackles and gave maximum effort. He scored the only TD for NU for 60 minutes. If a game was to be handed out, I hope he rec'd one.

This was "RED OUT AROUND THE WORLD", the was REDemption.01, this was "Finish".01. Did the kids/young men need any extra motivation for this game? This was the game of the decade and the game to define NU Football for the next 30 years. It was a statement game as big as any game I can remember in many years of following NU football.

With that being said, I am on to OSU and will cheer any players that Bo puts on the field. If an amateur fan can see all the issues from Saturday, I am sure Bo and staff are having many meetings and discussions with the players they feel didn't put out maximum effort.

Now if I was on here writing about how 8 years and how they lacked effort, I would be embarrassed. But really these guys are men. They are great athletes that have the support of millions, but if they don't put out maximum effort, fans will call them out.

Edit: I just listened to Bo and he said that was the worst tackling effort he has ever been a part of in football. He is not an internet poster. I am confident he will make changes/improvements going forward. On to OSU!!!

Edited by schuhbdoo
  • Fire 1

disagree..

so your saying cuz you a buy a husker shirt.. you have the right to talk about the players personal life? i guess we have different morals, but thats fine.. i can't sway you and change you.. definitely and interesting outlook

I think you're putting words in peoples mouths. Things that go on in the players personal lives stay personal and very very seldom are delved into on HB except for the "get well wishes" or the "oh man that sucks for him" comments. What we do is focus and apparently criticize, their playing ability or lack thereof.

you would be surprised how many husker players do look at the forum.. cuz they care what the fans think.. for what you know i may be a husker player

I hope they do look. I hope they see that the ratio of praise to griping is probably 75:25, varying with the play on the field. I also hope they take to heart some of the criticism thrown their way. We have some awfully smart football guys here, with some very pertinent analyses of the play on the field.

You could be a Husker player. For all you know I could be a former player. I suppose that's why we're not using our real names, isn't it?

And to your comment about players' personal lives… that’s a gray area. When a player is involved with the law there is no way we're not going to discuss it here. When they accept that scholarship or walk-on offer, they're giving up a portion of their personal privacy. It's not exactly a fishbowl around here, either. There are a lot of times when certain players could justifiably accept a LOT more grief than they've been served here for their very public disgraces.

However, as a board we tend to curtail such activity to realistic levels. There's a balance between justifiable outrage over criminal activity and digital lynching. 99.9% of the time our members at HuskerBoard stay within acceptable bounds. There have been times when the line has been crossed, and we've shut those members down, sometimes permanently. That's a case-by-case situation, and again, bring anything you find questionable to our attention and we'll look into it. I can't stress that enough.

I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.. that said, they are young men, and I am sure they are not up late at night crying over an internet board. Most likely (after their studies) they are eating a pizza pocket, drinking mountain dew, and being Sam Keller on a NCAA video game while texting their girlfriends. 99.9% of the members of this place love the Huskers and the present, past, and future players. But when a guy pulls a Randy Moss and says "gimme the dam ball" and fails when it is thrown at him several times... I think that opens it up a bit to criticism. Not to mention, that same player has been called out publicly as being a tad lazy and not practicing up to his potential. No one called him a double jack ass or sent death threats, but after flexing your guns in the end zone last year, I think that was a (screen) shot seen around Huskerville that you were ready to step up when necessary. Texas was our biggest conference game since the OU series in the 70's. It was a wall that we (decided in December) were going to break through and crush. A lot of focus was put on this game by the fans and University. A well drawn out game plane was not executed and a win didn't happen and frustration ran deep and onto message boards, automobiles (jackasses), and other things.

GBR!

16631668.gif