Husker priority: Avoid big gains by K-State

Nexus

LINCOLN — Admit it, you've considered the matchup: Kansas State's rushing attack, led by senior Daniel Thomas, against the Nebraska defense.

And on some level, it doesn't look favorable for the Huskers.

In the marquee battle on Thursday night as sixth-ranked NU opens Big 12 football play at fellow unbeaten K-State, Thomas and the Wildcats have statistically outperformed the Blackshirts this season. Despite its defensive reputation and success last fall, Nebraska has failed at times to silence the run game.

The scary part? The 6-foot-2, 230-pound Thomas, fourth nationally with a per-game rushing average of 157 yards, rates as the best back to match against Nebraska this season.

“He's physical, and he'll run through tackles,” NU defensive coordinator Carl Pelini said. “That's the biggest challenge. You've got to put a face on him.”

The Huskers, though, aren't ready to wave the white flag. They'll have a plan against Thomas. And Nebraska's numbers against the run — 56th nationally, allowing 138.8 yards per game — don't paint a complete picture, NU players and coaches said.

“We're not out to show nothing to nobody but us,” defensive end Pierre Allen said. “They do have a great running back over there — a great O-line and great coaches. They look good on film, so it'll be a great test for us.

“But everybody knows we've got a great defense. It's not a question of how good we are.”

The Huskers remain confident in their ability to stop the run. A year ago, with All-American Ndamukong Suh as an anchor in the middle, Nebraska ranked ninth nationally in rush defense, allowing 92.9 yards per game.

Already this season, Bobby Rainey of Western Kentucky rushed for 155 against Nebraska, and South Dakota State's Kyle Minett gained 112.

“I don't love the way we've been defending the run,” Carl Pelini said. “Ultimately, though, the way we do defend the run is to take away the big-play ability of the opponent.”

In other words, the Huskers refuse to load the box and invite opponents to aim for a home run in passing against single coverage.

“In a lot of instances, we're defending the run with less guys than your typical team would, knowing that nobody's going to get over the top on us,” Pelini said. “There's always going to be two bodies on a downfield receiver. There's some give and take.”

Nebraska has not changed its philosophy in defending the run during Pelini's three-year reign over the defense.

This year, he said, it's simply a matter of refining technique and alignment to correct some of the problems from non-conference play. Additionally, the Huskers are playing with new linebackers as projected starters Sean Fisher and Will Compton went down with injuries in the preseason, and safeties DeJon Gomes and Rickey Thenarse replaced a pair of veterans who thrived in run defense.

“As you go into the season and talk philosophy, you say, ‘This is who we are. This is who we're going to be, and they're going to gain 3 or 4 yards on some runs on first down,'” Pelini said. “You're not going to (hold) everybody to zero gain if that's the philosophy you play with.”

For Thomas, though, could those 3- and 4-yard gains turn into 10- and 12-yard chunks?

“I think our run defense can get it done as long as we all execute the game plan,” cornerback Prince Amukamara said.

Said Allen: “We've shown we can do it. We're not worried about that.”

Nebraska's front four, most often blamed for problems in defending the run, has matched the play through four games of the defensive line last year, Pelini said.

“I feel honored to play behind them,” linebacker Lavonte David said.

David and the linebackers remain a work in progress. Most important, Pelini said, they need to get more decisive in run defense. Stay patient, he said, then make a move and go full speed.

Pelini said he thinks the Huskers are capable of winning the battle against the Kansas State ground game, ranked 23rd nationally.

“Yeah, but we have to play very well, and I wouldn't want to play them tomorrow,” he said. “I like having the extra time. If we play with technique, if we're physical at the point of attack, I do like our chances, but that's not to diminish, in any way, my opinion of their offensive line or their coaches.”

LINK

if they average gains of 3-4 on first downs, we will be screwed. i am sure Snyder will ram it down our throats until we stack the box to stop them.....i just hope we don't let them run all over us for the entire first half before we make adjustments....this Peso defense is not set up to defend well against a big time running team and we have as much admitted that already...i suspect we will have to stack the box eventually to get some stops against these guys.....this will be a tough game for us.

if they average gains of 3-4 on first downs, we will be screwed. i am sure Snyder will ram it down our throats until we stack the box to stop them.....i just hope we don't let them run all over us for the entire first half before we make adjustments....this Peso defense is not set up to defend well against a big time running team and we have as much admitted that already...i suspect we will have to stack the box eventually to get some stops against these guys.....this will be a tough game for us.

you keep saying that but im still not buying it.

A few of the quotes from Pierre Allen concern me.

“But everybody knows we've got a great defense. It's not a question of how good we are.”

You sure about that, this team did just get trucked by a winless DII team. Or have you "put that game behind" you already.

“We've shown we can do it. We're not worried about that.”

When exactly did you show that, last season? Well it's a new year Pierre and sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but this D and especially this D-line hasn't proven a damn thing yet!

It's possible that Allen just doesn't want to let on that they are worried about KSU's running game, but all this talk about how good this defense thinks they are just makes me think that some of these players still don't understand what kind of attitude it takes to succeed week in and week out. NU will never move forward if it's players are already convinced today that they are good enough to win a championship tomorrow.

I think the D-Line has more to prove but they have done a good job pressuring the QB and the running yards can also be blames on the backs because they are not getting up as they should to support the 4 man rush that we use.

That said I think we have to adjust our scheme, why stay in a package designed to stop a spread and pass team and ignore the only strength the KSU has. By the way Thomas' YPG has dropped in each game he has played in this year, I think he struggles to top 100 yards unless he gets over 30 carries as he did at ISU.

how many POINTS have we given up?

51, which averages out to 12.75 a game. Do you think that number will hold during conference play? Because I'm not so sure that it will.

Remember last year:

Missouri: 12

Texas Tech: 31 (the obvious outlier)

Iowa State: 9

Baylor: 10

Oklahoma: 3

Kansas: 17

Kansas State: 3

Colorado: 20

Texas: 13

Avg.: 13.1

Not a bad year. Obviously we don't have the d-line we had last year but with our offense (apparently) much improved we won't have to hold teams to so few points and still win.