What We Learned this Week

Husker_x

I think maybe Roberto Duran is a GA for the wide receivers: "Hands of Stone" :D

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, NEXT GAME batter up

GBR

so Husker x you may convert to Christianity, kool :cheers still a chance :) (dumb/dumber)

How could anyone see Texas beat Nebraska this season and believe there's a just God? lol

:dunno

The o-line wasn't that bad this game. T-Mart was making bad reads and showing his age. I don't think this should be Wats swan song though. We were put in position to win.

I do believe we should toss Gilmore and (dare I say it) Ek. The dude is cool personally, but the one LB we have on the field is not because of Ek's coaching but because of his instincts.

The defense gets no blame for this. Our special teams and offense gave Texas so many easy scores it was unbelievable.

The defense as a whole played good, but our LBs are our weak link. Gomes isn't built to play against lineman, he consistently gets runover (no offense to him, he's just not built be constantly in the box).

While the defense by no stretch cost us the game, there are still things they need to improve upon. Thenarse needs to work on his angles and wrapping up. Tackling as a whole needs to be improved.

The o-line wasn't that bad this game. T-Mart was making bad reads and showing his age. I don't think this should be Wats swan song though. We were put in position to win.

I do believe we should toss Gilmore and (dare I say it) Ek. The dude is cool personally, but the one LB we have on the field is not because of Ek's coaching but because of his instincts.

I am sorry but this is utter crap and I couldn't disagree more. Our OLine has been mediocre since the hiring of Barney. Ricky Henry is the ONLY enjoyable player to watch up front and that is basically on his effort alone.

The defense gets no blame for this. Our special teams and offense gave Texas so many easy scores it was unbelievable.

The defense as a whole played good, but our LBs are our weak link. Gomes isn't built to play against lineman, he consistently gets runover (no offense to him, he's just not built be constantly in the box).

While the defense by no stretch cost us the game, there are still things they need to improve upon. Thenarse needs to work on his angles and wrapping up. Tackling as a whole needs to be improved.

Thenarse needs to work on learning how to play football. That kid took a crap on the field today.

As for our linebackers, we lost our two starters before the season started. Lavonte is good but unseasoned. Glad we have Will back at least.

Thenarse needs to work on learning how to play football. That kid took a crap on the field today.

As for our linebackers, we lost our two starters before the season started. Lavonte is good but unseasoned. Glad we have Will back at least.

I hope getting Compton back changes things. But thankfully I don't think we will need that many LBs on the field going forward because of the spread offenses we will be facing.

I am sorry but this is utter crap and I couldn't disagree more. Our OLine has been mediocre since the hiring of Barney. Ricky Henry is the ONLY enjoyable player to watch up front and that is basically on his effort alone.

When we wanted to run the ball on them in the 3rd and 4th quarter we could. Sirles is young and still developing, he is going to make mistakes. The zone read wasn't there, don't know why we kept on going back to it.

I don't think that you can lay this defeat on Watson from a play calling angle. If you want to lay it at his feet because at the end of the day he is responsible for the offenses overall performance on the field, you have a better argument. Fact of the matter was that the plays called - for the most part- put NU in a position to move the ball and to score, but the Huskers did not, could not and seemingly refused to capitalize on them. Maybe a few too many zone reads called overall and a couple questionable 3rd and long play calls, but otherwise I think that game was planned and called pretty well.

Running the zone read 30 times when its getting stuffed every time is calling it pretty well? Oh you mean he called a good gameplan..when he had to throw the ball at the every end to play catch up? when does he call a good gameplan when its close? When has he ever beat anythng that resembled a top 25 defense? YOu mean, our amazing 100 yards in the first half was good playcalling? You are going to runt he zone read in the first half and beginning of 3rd quarter when they are clearly playing it? The passing game would have worked with how close texas was playing but when did he really throw the ball downfield? (when it was close that is). If youre a coach, dont you play to the defense weakness? Then if you studied film you would know that texas is a fast defense but has trouble when it comes to power running from the pistol and I formation..and what does he do? He doesnt run power plays from those formations at all. He instead runs zone read, which texas can defend with their speed. I guess its ok not to study film and works on an opponent..i guess its ok not to adjust from week to week, i guess that makes a good coach.

I learned that when the chips are down most of the fans here on huskerboard won't stay strong and say "that sucked the receivers dropped touchdown passes and they didn't execute." Instead they fall into meltdown mode and want 1/3 of the coaching staff fired. Nut up and get behind your team guys. The north is still within reach and a conference championship isn't out of the question. This place is unbearable after a loss.

• Fire 1

Here's what we learned:

We aren't a National Championship caliber team at this time nor were we before this game. As bad as that hurts, it's the honest truth and we have to come to that realization. We won't get a shot at the National Championship no matter what now because this is the first year we've really been ranked way up there for a while and the national "experts" are going to be off of our bandwagon awfully quick.

Having said that, we CAN win the Big XII and get a BCS birth and finish our last season in the Big XII on a high note. This was the goal at the beginning of the year and the NC talk made us all kinda forget that. I would've loved to have gone to the big dance, in fact I talked to my wife and informed her if we get our shot, we're going no question and I'm not asking. Reality is, that isn't going to happen now. Where the team goes from here is the important thing. We have to go down to OSU and beat them considering we haven't won there since 1995. That's an important monkey to get off of our back. Our biggest test in the North is going to be Missouri. I think we can finish this right even though we all really wanted that Texas game. We may get another shot at them, you never know.

• Fire 1

Umm I've noticed this since the beginning of the season and i haven't been on the board recently but...has anyone noticed our d-line? I can't help but feel that every week when the big sports reporters talk up our d-line (especially our tackles) its as if they've never watched a game. We have no inside pressure from the tackles and it seems like our ends don't get off blocks fast enough on runs to the outside. As far as I'm concerned Cameron Meredith is our best d-lineman.