Thank you Zach Lee

...because how many games did Lee lose last year as a starter/game manager...

The answer you are looking for is zero.

Well the statistics from our 4 losses last year sure make it look like he wasn't helping us win. I realize the ISU game had a bunch of fluke fumbles but still that statistics are crazy.

L VT Passing: 11-30 0 TDS, 2 INTS, 136 total yards Rushing; 8 carries 38 net yards

L ISU Passing 20-37 0 TDS, 3 INTS, 248 total yards Rushing: 6 caries 5 net yards

L TT Passing 16-22 0 TDS, 0 INTS, 128 total yards Rushing: 9 carries for 0 net yards

L Texas Passing; 6-19 0 TDS, 3 INTS, 39 total yards Rushing: 6 carries 12 net yards

4 game total: Passing 53-108 0 TDS, 8 INTS, 551 total yards Rushing: 29 carries for 55 net yards

Average stats for Lee when we lost..... Passing: 13.25-27 137.75 total yards 0 TD, 2 INT, Rushing: 7.25 carries for 13 yards

Im not say Lee is the only reason we lost but he was a major part of it.

Here are my conclusions on Lee vs. Martinez:

Lee manages and executes the offense very well. He makes the right decisions, and he's an accurate passer. In the zone read game, while he makes the right reads fairly consistently, he's not a threat to gain more than a couple of yards, and the defense sells out on the running back. The defense also plays softer in general on the run, and so while Lee is capable of hitting receivers in tight spots, he has to do it a lot with defenses playing softer on 1st and 2nd down. Lee brings steadiness to the offense, and he makes it potent. However, the way defenses would play it all year is the same way Texas played Lee: Bend but don't break. They'll give up 5 yard runs or passes all the way down the field, but you have to execute 12-14 play drives down the field every time.

While Lee makes the offense potent, Martinez makes it nuclear. Now, Martinez makes more mistakes than Lee in the zone read game, and he's less accurate as a passer. But in order to shut down Martinez in the zone read, defenses have to absolutely sell out, committing their linebackers and safeties to stopping the run. They leave their cornerbacks on an island, and on any first down or second down play where the Huskers so much as hint at a zone read, the LB's and S's creep about 3 or 4 steps towards the line. This allows our WRs to run wide open. When we establish our passing game (which with safeties and linebackers selling out on the run, is pretty easy to do), the running game opens up, and we've all seen what Martinez does when that happens.

The problem the other day was that both QBs were victimized by their receivers. And for me, in a question of Lee or Martinez, it's a no brainer. With Lee, it's a blue collar offense that can work their way down the field, drain the clock, and win close games with great defense. With Martinez, our current offense is potentially unstoppable (if we catch the ball).

Martinez needs to get better at executing the zone read, and he needs to become a more accurate passer. But against Texas, he really only made a couple of misreads in the zone read, and only a couple of poor throws. A couple of drops that really should have been catches, and the offense becomes an absolute nightmare for Texas to defend. Really, it becomes impossible for them to defend. We beat ourselves, end of story.

I am just happy we have a guy like Zac to fall back on when "it" hits the fan, and we need to pull our frazzled young starter. That game could have spiraled out of control and turned into an embarrassment, but Lee steadied the ship.

You have to appreciate a guy like that. Also, if we have the North wrapped up by the time we play Colorado, I'd like to see Lee get some significant playing time. He's given a lot to this team, and he's been a class guy all the way.

I am just happy we have a guy like Zac to fall back on when "it" hits the fan, and we need to pull our frazzled young starter. That game could have spiraled out of control and turned into an embarrassment, but Lee steadied the ship.

You have to appreciate a guy like that. Also, if we have the North wrapped up by the time we play Colorado, I'd like to see Lee get some significant playing time. He's given a lot to this team, and he's been a class guy all the way.

This, although after Saturday I am convinced that Bo has something against Lee personally. Did you see the look he gave him when Lee called a timeout to save a delay of game? Screamed "LET'S GO!" and gave him a nasty facial expression.

I would have still liked to see Lee get some more playing time earlier in the season. I knew at some point we would have to turn to him and we didn't really get him ready for that moment. Oh well though. Glad we have him anyways.

I totally agree Knapplc,

The kid is a class act, we are very lucky to have this type of back up QB. I still would love to see him in the game with Martinez as a WR, imagine the possibiities.

I think Martinez would be deadly working in the slot, with that athleticism he has. YAC.

But anyway, to respond to Landlord about the TO, I noticed that too. But Bo has angry disgusted looks at plenty of players, so it's probably just more noticeable because it was Zac Lee. That timeout was a bad mistake by Zac, no idea what he was doing.

I believe Bo said if he had a do-over he probably wouldn't have pulled him.

personally, I woulda pulled him too.

hindsight is 20-20, and second guessing the coaches is a common fan activity.

BO KNOWS FOOTBALL. More often than not, he's gonna do the right thing.

I totally agree Knapplc,

The kid is a class act, we are very lucky to have this type of back up QB. I still would love to see him in the game with Martinez as a WR, imagine the possibiities.

I think Martinez would be deadly working in the slot, with that athleticism he has. YAC.

But anyway, to respond to Landlord about the TO, I noticed that too. But Bo has angry disgusted looks at plenty of players, so it's probably just more noticeable because it was Zac Lee. That timeout was a bad mistake by Zac, no idea what he was doing.

I would agree with you if that would have been an isolated incident, but I've seen Bo get in Zac's face like that a handful of times (at least four dating back to last season), and I think half of them were unwarranted, at least in my eyes. Zac called the timeout because the play didn't get in and called quickly enough and we were going to have a delay of game penalty.

Lee played well when he came in, gotta give him that. I have one question thou(and i know i will get alot of crap for this) do we really want to be going thru this again NEXT year? Taylor needs to play and get his lumps now so hes more "seasoned" for the future. Atleast he will have a year of starting under his belt in real game situations with "college speed" and will be that much better next year. Hes going to make MORE mistakes this year and will probably cost us another game. But we have to face it unless Carnes or Turner is a phenom and can pass like Dan Marino and run like..well T Magic...he needs the game experience. If anyone really thought a RF QB was going to lead us to the MNC and win the Heisman you were drinking way too much kool aid my friend. Let the kid play good or bad.

Sorry but pulling him was not a good idea. I really hope Bo and CO are learning how to coach QBS because Cody is already F'ed up and I really hope they dont do the same to T Magic. Who knows Taylor could have broke a big TD and got us back in the game...giving him confidence and the team confidence in him...even if we still lose he has the confidence that when things are bad, it only takes one moment to turn things around...instead hes on the bench wondering if hes good enough to hang with a good defense.

Lee played well when he came in, gotta give him that. I have one question thou(and i know i will get alot of crap for this) do we really want to be going thru this again NEXT year? Taylor needs to play and get his lumps now so hes more "seasoned" for the future. Atleast he will have a year of starting under his belt in real game situations with "college speed" and will be that much better next year.

This is a common argument, but I disagree. Taylor taking his lumps now will give him experience, but not significantly and it won't make him substantially better. The areas where he currently has critical shortcomings, in the understanding of the game or his footwork or mechanics, must be addressed in the offseason. With a dedicated offseason, Taylor will improve in leaps and bounds in those areas. Which would enable him to "take lumps for seasoning and improvement." So he's going to have to do that anyway next year IMO.

Right now Taylor is at a level where we have to keep the restraints on in the offense and play to his strengths, which are in limited areas, but which can be very explosive. Playing him this year is harnessing those strengths and using them, but it isn't developing Taylor as a quarterback, skill-wise. Mentally, he does have the experience of being a starter for one year under his belt, along with all the pressures they cause, etc, but it's hard to quantify how helpful that is to any individual. Helped Joe Dailey and Zac Lee a fat lot, for example.