Our D-Line

beanman

You have to wonder about some of our players, Matt Millen was heaping praise on. His track record at the Lions was horrible, as their GM. So I don't put much stock in his appraisal, seeing as his biggest praise was on Paul. Who may have had his worst game this season. I'm sure Paul will bounce back OK.

GBR!!!

I think you're right about Millen. Re-watching the game Snow and Walters handled Crick and Steinkuhler with ease on 80% of Texas snaps. No TFL or sacks.

I think that Our D-line sucks.We need some speed of the edge, we should give ankrah a start to see how he does and also I don't think that baker is pulling his weight.

The line has 2-gap responsibility, which means that on at least 1st and 2nd down (most of the time), they are simply holding their ground. Agreed that in obvious passing downs, there has not been much of a pass rush, certainly not from the ends. Once in a while, they'll stunt or zone blitz. I think the scheme more or less lends itself to bigger, run stopping DEs than the lightning quick Grant Wistroms or Mike Ruckers of the world. I would say that on a couple of those Gilbert scrambles, I was disappointed at how easily he broke contain.

The way the DLine is taught to get pressure in the scheme is to collapse the pocket. Not necessarily beat your one on one, but drive them back and hurry the quarterback's throw.

Suh was an aberration because he could do his job AND pulverize his guy(s) to get to the QB. We will not see another one like him.

Has anyone notice that we seem to bring the corner a lot from the weakside of the formation on a blitz? I guess that might be understandable, except for the fact that it seems to be a run blitz on 1st and 2nd down. It seemed against KState that they were using Amukamura to makes sure that Thomas couldn't cut back. They did the same for a spell against UT.

Wish they would have done it on the last rushing play by Texas. That cutback killed all hope.

I think that Our D-line sucks.We need some speed of the edge, we should give ankrah a start to see how he does and also I don't think that baker is pulling his weight.

The line has 2-gap responsibility, which means that on at least 1st and 2nd down (most of the time), they are simply holding their ground. Agreed that in obvious passing downs, there has not been much of a pass rush, certainly not from the ends. Once in a while, they'll stunt or zone blitz. I think the scheme more or less lends itself to bigger, run stopping DEs than the lightning quick Grant Wistroms or Mike Ruckers of the world. I would say that on a couple of those Gilbert scrambles, I was disappointed at how easily he broke contain.

The way the DLine is taught to get pressure in the scheme is to collapse the pocket. Not necessarily beat your one on one, but drive them back and hurry the quarterback's throw.

Suh was an aberration because he could do his job AND pulverize his guy(s) to get to the QB. We will not see another one like him.

Has anyone notice that we seem to bring the corner a lot from the weakside of the formation on a blitz? I guess that might be understandable, except for the fact that it seems to be a run blitz on 1st and 2nd down. It seemed against KState that they were using Amukamura to makes sure that Thomas couldn't cut back. They did the same for a spell against UT.

Wish they would have done it on the last rushing play by Texas. That cutback killed all hope.

Me too. But, we didn't. So all we can do is move on.

Regarding your comments on the corner blitzes we've used. Seems like our coaches are utilizing that blitz much more often than we did the last two seasons, and it's really paying dividends against the run, as well as the pass. Our secondary makes quick, effective adjustments when one of the corners blitzes, which makes it even tougher for the QB to hurt us, let alone have enough time to get rid of it. No doubt the Pelinis know exactly when and where to call that blitz, and it's helped tremendously so far.

Playing your gaps is a big part of the D-line, but being disruptive and helping the d-backs is also. I don't see our line doing either very often. I'm not sure what the deal is, wether it is the game plan or what. We really need to have at least one lineman step up and put pressure on the QB and at least make them get rid of the ball faster. It seems QBs have had all day to do whatever they want back there. Thank god for our secondary!

I have seen Crick through a few linemen around this year, but I haven't seen that grit and determination we saw last year. And, I really don't think Suh is the reason for the drop in performance, other than his leadership missing. Don't get me wrong, Suh was amazing and almost had to have a devine intervention to be in the right place all the time. Do we even have any real leadership on this d-line? (that is an honest question, not retoricle or demeaning) Crick wanted to play in a manner that would open up Suh last year and Suh told him to make is plays and let him worry about himself. That changed the d-line in a huge way. I wonder if some of the same thing is happening? Either way, we are not putting pressure on anyone and look like we are being man handled, game plan or not. Maybe Carl needs to get back to the d-line and work out the kinks? This has been one of the biggest suprises for me, this year.

I wonder if Crick has hurt his draft status by coming back this year?

I think he has and I also think he now comes back for next year. He has done nothing this year to be a 1st round pick.

agree, he will have to develop even more and play as a senior, over hyped, Steiny, same deal, not as good as the old man.

Crick would be a fool to leave for the draft,at this point he isn't even half the player that Suh was.

I don't think he ever really was. We had a really, really good defense last year and Suh was a huge part of that. Crick was enabled to get a lot of plays, and is a good, solid player. But we after the Baylor game we basically figured we had two Suh's, which of course was crazy. Not that Crick isn't good, but Suh was top five pick good. Crick can be a terrific solid cog on the DL and still be a mid or low round type of pick. Those guys stay for the senior year.