Why can we throw the bones, but Texas can't?

GMoose

When I watched it, it looked like after he made the tackle, he stood up a bit and did a quick taunting motion over the receiver's body

They called this penalty for one reason only. To make it look on paper that this was a fair and balanced game with calls for each side. So when the investigations come, they can say they called penalties on Texas too. Nevermind that all the calls against Texas was in the waning minutes of the ball game when the game was clearly out of reach.

When I watched it, it looked like after he made the tackle, he stood up a bit and did a quick taunting motion over the receiver's body

They called this penalty for one reason only. To make it look on paper that this was a fair and balanced game with calls for each side. So when the investigations come, they can say they called penalties on Texas too. Nevermind that all the calls against Texas was in the waning minutes of the ball game when the game was clearly out of reach.

Yeah, that's it chuckleshuffle

It was a classic make up call.

I thought it was a bit of a make-up call as well. However, I think they consider throwing the bones in a similar vein to throat slash as a threatening gesture toward a player now. So you can throw the bones if you run a few yards and face the crowd, which I have seen us do even this year, but I think last year or the year before we had somebody do it over a QB or something (want to say it was Allen) and they got flagged for it. That said the refs would probably flag one of our guys for doing the hookem at a texas player, idk.

I'd have to go back and watch.. but i seem to remember the Texas defender giving a little extra shove/taunt before he turned around and threw the bones. At the time, I remember seeing the replay and going.. ah, that's what it was for. But, it was a depressing game.. i could be misremembering :P

Wasn't he looking down at the receiver when he did it, so they probably thought of it as taunting.

He actually was looking up at the stands when he did it.

Is that the one right after some missed call? In the 4th? We noticed it at the game also, and thought it was more for the last play where they missed a late hit or something, the opportunity was there he didn't have to throw it, but tried to make it right.

I don't remember exactly but I think it was in the 4th quarter and they just made a huge stop behind the line. The guy stood up, walked away from the NU player and threw the bones. I didn't think it was over the top myself. He made a helluva play and was probably excited. I thought the penalty was questionable but since it went into our favor I didn't argue

On replay it was only just another missed block by the WR that was assigned to hitting that player and allowing Paul to operate in space. It was another example of a flat team not prepared or fired up for one of the biggest game for NU going into the next decade. The WR was much bigger and just had to lay a block on the DB, it was clear that one team came to play and the other didn't. I was more upset that the penalty on Eddie Jones (32) wasn't called when they knocked the QB down after the play right in front of a referee or the block in the back/clipping on the first punt of the game. It wasn't clear on TV but he stared down at the player and might of said a few words and then went into a full bones. I think I said that taunting to the TV when it happened, so it appeared to be taunting to me.

Penalties in today's game are beyond ridiculous. Watch a game from the 90's. With today's rules, every big game back then would have about 30-40 penalties: taunting, excessive celebration, helmet-to-helmet contact, horse collar tackle, late hit, targeting etc. I could elaborate but too tired... :rantemsleeping3.gif