Ha! Stewart Mandel on Nebraska's receiving performance

zoogs

Not to beat a dead horse, but we're gonna remember this one for a while.

A question from Mandel's mailbag at SI.com asking about Mike Leach's offense and passing the ball in rough weather. Check out the response.

Hi, Stewart. I know Mike Leach is the top name for any coaching vacancy, but do you think his pass-heavy system, which relies heavily on run-after-the-catch to be successful, could win games in the cold and wet weather of late October and November in Big Ten country? As you mentioned, Minnesota has a new stadium, and it doesn't have a roof like the old one.

-- Brent, Memphis

I think the notion that a team can't run a passing offense in cold weather is a bit antiquated at this point. Is there any quantitative evidence to support it? With the possible exception of a monsoon or a blizzard, I think most players in this day and age are highly trained enough to handle the ball in adverse conditions. And as we saw last week at Nebraska, players can just as easily drop wide-open touchdowns when it's 70 degrees and sunny.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/10/20/mailbag/index.html#ixzz1301XzY1H

I laughed. And then I started crying.

Stewie is a huge Boise St. supporter. He jumped on their bandwagon a couple years back and hasn't jumped off. This year when, once again, Boise is going to drop in the polls because of their ridiculously weak schedule, he wrote a whole column comparing Boise's schedule to ours. Apparently he's still on the "dog Nebraska" kick.

Stewie is a huge Boise St. supporter. He jumped on their bandwagon a couple years back and hasn't jumped off. This year when, once again, Boise is going to drop in the polls because of their ridiculously weak schedule, he wrote a whole column comparing Boise's schedule to ours. Apparently he's still on the "dog Nebraska" kick.

He has written some pretty "pro" NU stuff also, I think he was just as shocked as the rest of us of the performance last week.

He has written some pretty "pro" NU stuff also, I think he was just as shocked as the rest of us of the performance last week.

Yeah, overall Stewie is pretty "pro" NU. He was a semi-frequent guest on Jason Peter's radio show back in the day.

Yeah, overall Stewie is pretty "pro" NU. He was a semi-frequent guest on Jason Peter's radio show back in the day.

I like his stuff, imo he stays pretty neutral for the most part, his mailbags are good, some people just baffle me on the stuff they send in :)