Are we facing the worst of the unbeatens?

JTrain

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just can't give Boise a pass on their schedule. I've seen them play and they are a proficient, well coached team. Kellen Moore is better than solid, he is a flat out good quarterback. And they have some other athletes, too. But they played Lousiana Tech last night. In a conference game. I will never be able to get past that fact. (That and the fact that VT lost to one of our founding fathers. I mean, that's one guy. Who has been dead for over 150 years. Plus Oregon State is like...Illinois? Some middling team like that.) So I have no idea how good Boise really is, and they aren't going to play anybody that will help clarify that in my mind. That, coupled with the fact that nobody knows you as intricately as your conference foes and Boise State and TCU and Utah's conference foes are laughably weak, leaves me no choice but to delicately suggest to Boise and Ute/Frog supporters that they can go fly kites. Especially Bronco fans.

(Best to Worst)

1.)Oregon

2.)Auburn

3.)Michigan State

4.)Mizzou

5.)TCU

6.)Utah

7.)Boise State

So you rank Boise last because of their 69th ranked schedule (Sagarin) but no mention of Utah's 113th ranked schedule? What about Michigan State's schedule, which is almost identical (65th)? Or Oregon's (59th)? Oregon has only played one team that's worth a damn.

what you fail to realize is that boise is through the hard part of their schedule and are still only facing the 69th toughest schedule. their SOS will continue to fall because they dont play anyone else whereas these other teams except TCU and Utahs (even though boises is still easier) schedules will continue to rise. look at their SOS at the end of the season and you will see what i mean.

Ranking Boise 7th on that list is insane.

i disagree. i personally put them at 6. play more than one real team and then lets talk.

I don't think it's Boise's fault that VaTech tanked their season and thus made the win not look that great, and it's also not Boise's fault that being good and being in a crap conference has kept them out of the title game.

That said, I think six is a fair ranking but only because they will only play two semi-decent teams the rest of the year (Fresno St. and Nevada). Those two teams would probably only win 7 or 8 games (at best) in the Big 12 each year.

I can't believe I'm arguing FOR Boise St.

Let's pretend for a minute that, for whatever reason, the Big 10 absolutely sucks in football for the next five years, while Bo puts together a fantastic team, offensively and defensively.

In that scenario, should Nebraska be penalized for having a weak conference schedule?

Let's pretend for a minute that, for whatever reason, the Big 10 absolutely sucks in football for the next five years, while Bo puts together a fantastic team, offensively and defensively.

In that scenario, should Nebraska be penalized for having a weak conference schedule?

i agree, but should 'bama be penalized for playing in an incredibly strong conference?

i agree, but should 'bama be penalized for playing in an incredibly strong conference?

Of course not. In a playoff system, neither Alabama nor Boise would be penalized.

Of course not. In a playoff system, neither Alabama nor Boise would be penalized.

exactly. seems pretty simple to me. and they could keep the bowls as an addition to the playoffs. just have the playoff games start the bowl season and have them a week apart and finish as a conclusion to the bowl season.

The whole system is flawed, not very many games or similar opponents. For undefeated teams it seems like the only thing left is SOS and Margin of Victory (insanely not allowed in BCS computer models). I also like the idea of quality wins although I guess that is built into SOS.

On another post someone lined up Boises opponents best to worst next to ours best to worst and that speaks volumes and had a much bigger impact on my opinion on this topic than just looking at the ranking.

Oregon is my #1 till I see a team that can keep up for 4 quarters with them.

I just can't give Boise a pass on their schedule. I've seen them play and they are a proficient, well coached team. Kellen Moore is better than solid, he is a flat out good quarterback. And they have some other athletes, too. But they played Lousiana Tech last night. In a conference game. I will never be able to get past that fact. (That and the fact that VT lost to one of our founding fathers. I mean, that's one guy. Who has been dead for over 150 years. Plus Oregon State is like...Illinois? Some middling team like that.) So I have no idea how good Boise really is, and they aren't going to play anybody that will help clarify that in my mind. That, coupled with the fact that nobody knows you as intricately as your conference foes and Boise State and TCU and Utah's conference foes are laughably weak, leaves me no choice but to delicately suggest to Boise and Ute/Frog supporters that they can go fly kites. Especially Bronco fans.

(Best to Worst)

1.)Oregon

2.)Auburn

3.)Michigan State

4.)Mizzou

5.)TCU

6.)Utah

7.)Boise State

So you rank Boise last because of their 69th ranked schedule (Sagarin) but no mention of Utah's 113th ranked schedule? What about Michigan State's schedule, which is almost identical (65th)? Or Oregon's (59th)? Oregon has only played one team that's worth a damn.

what you fail to realize is that boise is through the hard part of their schedule and are still only facing the 69th toughest schedule. their SOS will continue to fall because they dont play anyone else whereas these other teams except TCU and Utahs (even though boises is still easier) schedules will continue to rise. look at their SOS at the end of the season and you will see what i mean.

No I didn't fail to realize this. I thought we were ranking teams on how they had performed up to this point, not on what will happen over the next five weeks. If Michigan State and Missouri finish out their season unbeaten (neither will) I'd gladly rank them above Boise. For now, they have the same record and similar SOS. Boise has been more dominant.

(Best to Worst)

1.)Oregon

2.)Auburn

3.)Michigan State

4.)Mizzou

5.)TCU

6.)Utah

7.)Boise State

Fair point. I lumped TCU, Utah, and Boise together, and I basically ranked them by how much I personally like them, which is not what the poll question was asking. I took it as an oppurtunity to rail against Boise, and it was only after I posted my rankings 1-7 that I realized that I actually didn't even vote for Boise State on your poll. I voted for Utah. Soooo....I guess I take umbrage with my rankings, too.

But who cares? We got AG!

I think there's at least a small difference in schedule format between BSU and Michigan State though. For example, every single one of Boise State's tough games this year came in the non-con. They still have yet to play Fresno State and Nevada, but Nevada is really the only team with an honest shot at knocking them off from a talent perspective. It's a little bit easier to play all of your tough games early in the season rather than to have them later in the season (i.e. MSU still has to play Iowa and Penn State).

This relates to the attrition argument. BSU's SOS may be comparable, but they lack any legitimate middle season or end of season challenge, and if Nevada loses just one more game they're probably out of the Top 25. I think Boise State's season would be different if they have tougher games in mid October or November when a season really starts to wear down on a team.

I think the end result of this thread, for me, has been summed up by knapplc and Enhance89. I want to know how good Boise is, and I don't get to find out this year. A playoff would solve that predicament for me.

Exactly.