What will this game mean 10 years from now?

It has never been more clear what MUs place is then right now. We just knocked off a number one, set a Gameday attendance record, huge TV ratings in STL/KC and are the number 2 team according Jeff Saragin's ratings. Still we are 7+ pt dogs this Saturday and only a handful of the respectable media think we can win. Is that because Nebraska really is that much more impressive this year or because of your history? What does MU have to do to be relevant in your opinion? Win a MNC and get a Heisman winner? If they did both in the next five years would you consider them worthy of the marquee? Or would their pitifull performance in the 70s, 80s and 90s still taint them? I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a win tomorrow wouldn't change a thing.

Exactly. Again, I want to be clear that this is national perception that we're talking here, not my opinion. I'm not trying to crack on Missouri.

The national media rides its "flavors of the month" every year, and this year Missouri is one of those flavors. But to have true staying power in the national picture you have to be a regular contender for conference titles and major bowls. Major trophy winners helps, too, but doesn't guarantee a spot in the limelight. National perception is based solely on glamor points.

But it’s a fairly prevalent perception. Mizzou is like the little brother who gets to play in the pick-up football game to even up the sides. He may get to touch the ball once in a while. He may even score a TD because nobody bothers to cover him. But he’s still the snotnosed little brother who nobody takes seriously. Just like Mizzou.

After Mizzou wins a couple of MNCs and a Heisman, well, then the little brother will be all growed up.

but it will be said and it will be said often.

...So?

No offense, but I have yet to meet a Nebraska fan that really cares what others think of why we are leaving the conference or what those in the Big XII will say after. You seem to think we care when we really don't.

If we lose (which is definitely a possibility, MU is looking good), Missouri will have bragging rights. Yay...who cares besides Missouri? Nobody. Texas already has bragging rights...who cares beyond Texas? Nobody.

You won't let us forget by, what, coming to a message board for a team that is no longer even in your conference? Or you'll randomly drive up to Nebraska just to gloat? If the second is the case, thanks for the influx of money into our state's economy.

I'm genuinely curious how you're never going to let us forget.

We are going to flood your mailboxes with letters every Halloween.

Obviously if you never speak to a MU fan about football again it wouldn't be an issue. After everything Knapp has had to say I wouldn't doubt if that was the case; since most CB fans don't consider us a program yet. It's too depressing to think about actually. I'm out.

That's my point - how often are Husker fans are going to be speaking to Missouri fans once we're out of the conference? How often to do they run into each other now beyond around the annual game and on message boards, both of which will be going away shortly?

As for your program, yeah, you're not recognized as a long term successful program yet. Again, so? You shouldn't be, because you're not a long term successful program. That doesn't take anything away from your current team, though.

My pat answer to all of this to any fan is always:

5 National Championships(could have been 5 in a row in the 90's)

3 Heisman trophy winners

43 Conference Championships

4th all time wins, working towards #3

Call me when you get half way there. If we win, itl be sweet, if we lose it will certainly sting, but 10 years from now....meh good memory

I'm no Nostradamus, I'm just taking my best guess about what will be said. My next guess is that after MU wins tomorrow you all are going to be thanking me for letting you prepare your defenses in advance. :)

I am not worrying what it will be said 10 years, or 100 years from now about this game. Carl has the job of preparing the defense and I am sure he has his own game plans of match ups. You better hope your D coaches are up to snuff playing our O line on Saturday. I would thank you in advance of a good game and clap for your team efforts in tomorrow game. I see it as a W in the column for Huskers! Good day

Bottom line is that during the Big 12 era, Nebraska was JUST ANOTHER SCHOOL in the far weaker north division. You can puff out your chest and hate on Missouri football all you want but the fact is you were never able to become the "big dog" you thought you should've been in a pretty weak football conference. Even if you beat Missouri and lose to Oklahoma in the Big 12 CCG (which WILL happen if you face them), you're still just another team in this conference. Oklahoma and Texas have been elite...Missouri, Kansas State, Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, OK State have had their years, and Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State have been largely bad. You can keep on thinking you're a step above and its great that the Big 10 split up the divisions and considered you one of the conference powers BUT during the Big 12 years, Nebraska was largely a middle tier team. WHen the Big 12 formed, everyone expected it to be Nebraska vs. Oklahoma or Texas every year in the CCG but you couldn't do it. (You let freaking Kansas hang 70 on you at home for crying out loud). So go ahead and leave feeling like a power house looking down on all the little people but it just isn't the case.

I agree whole heartedly

Oh, wait, I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about the KC Chiefs since the '60s.

The Mizz football program is equivalent to our baseball team getting to the College World series, it was a great side story (flavor of the month), but only a handful of people outside of Nebraska can remember it or care including quite a few in the state). I get what you are attempting to say, but the truth is... your program is one of those little footnotes you tend to gloss over on the bottom of the page of a book. That's just the reality. I can not recall too many bowl game officials/cities that thank their lucky stars that Mizz was available. I personally think we win by 12 plus on Saturday. Anything less, and we failed. Best of luck and spend some money in my city to reduce my taxes is what I really care about.

Bottom line is that during the Big 12 era, Nebraska was JUST ANOTHER SCHOOL in the far weaker north division. You can puff out your chest and hate on Missouri football all you want but the fact is you were never able to become the "big dog" you thought you should've been in a pretty weak football conference. Even if you beat Missouri and lose to Oklahoma in the Big 12 CCG (which WILL happen if you face them), you're still just another team in this conference. Oklahoma and Texas have been elite...Missouri, Kansas State, Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, OK State have had their years, and Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State have been largely bad. You can keep on thinking you're a step above and its great that the Big 10 split up the divisions and considered you one of the conference powers BUT during the Big 12 years, Nebraska was largely a middle tier team. WHen the Big 12 formed, everyone expected it to be Nebraska vs. Oklahoma or Texas every year in the CCG but you couldn't do it. (You let freaking Kansas hang 70 on you at home for crying out loud). So go ahead and leave feeling like a power house looking down on all the little people but it just isn't the case.

Wasn't your college begging to be in the Big 10? :worship

Wasn't your college begging to be in the Big 10? :worship

the governor told us for a month it was a done deal...until they got left at the door at closing time for a prettier girl.

Sorry to tell you but we've had bigger games against lowly kU over the past few years than we've had with you.

When was the last time KU-Missouri was on TV? KU had one great year with Mangino and one decent year, that's it.

I've been in Omaha for 8 years and it's been televised every year.

I think he means that it hasn't been a relevant televised game. Anyone can get their games show on Versus or FSN Midwest. That just means that you're playing an irrelevant game that no one outside or your particular state cares about.