Chances of Making National Championship

What's sad is that if the two teams (missouri and texas) had reversed roles (like usual) this year we might be in the running. Losing to #7 texas and beating an unknown mu might've kept us in the hunt. Missouri ranked (even at 7) means very little as we still see oklahoma ahead of us in the coaches poll...

Well it's a long shot, but here's what we need:

All assuming Oregon wins out.. which they will. Also assuming Nebraska wins out of course.

MUST HAPPEN:

1. Auburn needs to lose to Alabama AND maybe Georgia too (they could also lose in their conference championship game if they made it)

2. LSU needs to lose @ Arkansas in the last week of the season or in conference championship game if they made it.

3. Ohio St. needs to lose to Iowa or Michigan.

4. Alabama needs to lose to LSU/Mississippi St (probs not happening, but could lose in conference champ game if they made it)

MIGHT NEED TO HAPPEN:

5. Wisconsin needs to lose to Purdue/Indiana/Michigan/Northwestern (we could maybe jump them if they don't lose)

6. Utah needs to lose to San Diego St/BYU/Notre Dame (probably jump them even if they win out tho)

7. TCU needs to lose to Utah/San Diego St (probably jump them even if they win out)

8. Boise needs to lose (probably jump them even if they don't)

9. Stanford has to lose a game (only chances are Oregon St and Arizona) but we could jump them anyways

So 4 MUST HAPPEN scenarios and maybe more.

I like the optimism. Could happen but we need quite a bit of help. Obviously we must win out, but we also need Oklahoma to win....along with Missouri and Ok St winning out except against OU. We need the teams that we have beaten to roll to have a stronger strength of schedule. We need to play a highly ranked OU team and then beat them. Easier said then done.

The chances of it happening are very slim, but what we absolutely need to happen is that either Auburn or Alabama lose in the SEC championship game. If that happens, we could potentially be the highest ranked 1 loss team with a victory in the CCG, and could possibly jump Boise/TCU/Utah in the BCS.

Can someone please tell me what the 'M' in MNC stands for?

It stands for "Mythical" because it's not a true championship. You can't have a real championships based on opinions of which team is better. Without a tournament of some kind, it's all just guesswork.

Another reason some use "mythical" is that several teams (Notre Dame, Michigan, Minnesota, etc) count "championships" from back in the dark ages of college football when there was no universally accepted body or group that handed out titles. Michigan claims eight national championships prior to World War II when there was no universally accepted method of determining who was champion. With such diverse claims to the title - not to mention their esoteric nature - it's hard to say who was or wasn't "the champ." Hence mythical.

It stands for "Mythical" because it's not a true championship. You can't have a real championships based on opinions of which team is better. Without a tournament of some kind, it's all just guesswork.

Another reason some use "mythical" is that several teams (Notre Dame, Michigan, Minnesota, etc) count "championships" from back in the dark ages of college football when there was no universally accepted body or group that handed out titles. Michigan claims eight national championships prior to World War II when there was no universally accepted method of determining who was champion. With such diverse claims to the title - not to mention their esoteric nature - it's hard to say who was or wasn't "the champ." Hence mythical.

Actually, you don't have to go back to the dark ages...Michigan claims a national championship from 1997 that is mythical...we all know the Huskers were the champs that year.

• Fire 2

Actually, you don't have to go back to the dark ages...Michigan claims a national championship from 1997 that is mythical...we all know the Huskers were the champs that year.

Who has the trophy? How can they claim it if the trophy is in our display case?

Okay, before I write what I am about to write, I will say that I agree that the chances are slim that Nebraska could play for a national title. However, if you think back to 2001 right after Nebraska's blow-out loss to colorado, there wasn't a chance in hell that we would make it into the national championship game. Then, the next day, all the teams ahead of us started to fall. I think there were something like 5 or 6 teams that had to lose to set us up. And the 5 or 6 were ALL highly unlikely. And don't forget that we didn't have five weeks left, all of those unlikely events happened in one day. So I'm not making any predictions...I'm just sayin'......

Who has the trophy? How can they claim it if the trophy is in our display case?

Agreed, but they have some little wood plank that the news hacks gave them and they think that makes them the champs...silly little wolverines.

you have to factor in the fact that we play in a CCG. voters have short memories. it's not hard for them to vote us ahead of teams that we were previously behind after a win vs Oklahoma when the other teams didn't even play. conference championships can be devastating to a season, but they can also be life-saving.

Yep.

It killed us in 1996 and got us the coach's NC vote in 1997.