Chances of Making National Championship

Not so sure that this is impossible.

TCU and Utah, one will take out the other.

Auburn and Alabama, one will take will out the other.

Oregon has 2 real tough games vs OSU and Arizona.

Boise St has 2 tough games vs Hawaii and Nevada.

I was shocked to see the Huskers move all the way up to #7. This becomes a little less impossible at #7 than it was at 10 or 11. We still have a Freshman QB, and a long ways to go in this season. One thing is for sure, this is the best time of the year.

....you guys were saying? :) [/post-bcs-release-smugness]

We are .003 points from being closer to 10th than 6th, meaning that it'll be easier for us to slide down than up with our schedule. I still think it's a long, long shot. The TCU/Utah winner is going to be more firmly entrenched above us as the other one falls by the wayside. I don't know whether we'll have a shot to pass over Boise. I think we'd need all of LSU, Alabama and Auburn to lose twice (for the season, not twice more), and maybe Oregon twice too.

Meh, we need to focus on Iowa State. Period. Forget about CCG, NCG, focus on the next game. All these teams are dangerous. in this league anymore, anyone can lose to anyone at any moment.

:yeah

You're looking at Oregon and Boise State in the MNC. Should be a good game. I would be pulling hard for Oregon, even though I am a Trojan follower.

Can't wait till next year since Boise State and TCU will be in the same conference and Utah will be in the Pac-12. Say goodbye to this "BCS-buster BS." So tired of it.

We're fans. We can focus on whatever we want. However, the TEAM needs to focus on Iowa State and not be caught up in the media attention. What we don't need is a loss that nullifies the win over Mizzou.

I, personally would much rather have a Conf. Champ., a BCS bowl Championship, and a top 5 finish to the year. That would make it a good year in my opinion.

I don't think it's going to happen, but the most likely scenario for us to get to the MNC game is for Alabama, Auburn, and Oregon to each lose a remaining game. Alabama still has to play LSU, Miss. St., and Auburn (all ranked right now). Auburn still has Georgia and Alabama. And then the SEC title game for another chance to lose. Oregon still has to play Washington, Cal, Arizona, and Oregon St.

One-loss NU gets in over at least one of the unbeaten non-AQ teams (Boise and Utah/TCU). We don't need to be #1, #2 gets to play in the MNC game too. That sets up a likely TCU/Utah vs NU or Boise vs NU game. I still think it's unlikely but not outside the realm of possibility. But, as others have said, let's win out and worry about just winning the B12 right now.

i am just curious is a one loss team (other than 'bama) would be able to jump a non-aq. i think it would be close. i have debated it, but i do think nu would jump an undefeated bsu, tcu, or utah. i think that extra big 12 championship game against a top ten team would be huge. it adds a lot to sos and the voters pay attention to it. i think we would have to have a good to great game against a good to great team. it would probably hurt if we played osu again, since we already beat them, but maybe not. i wish there was a bcs simulator you could plug in the records and calculate the outcome.

im buying and drinking the kool aid because Nebraska hasnt been in this position in quite a few years and its fun. The odds of us going unbeaten are about as good as the others ahead of us dropping a game along the way. With the computers loving the Huskers we almost certainly will get to a BCS game if we win out to the Big 12 Championship and lose to an Oklahoma team assuming they go unbeaten the rest of the year. This year feels like 2001 where we may be able to sneak into the National title game unexpected. First thing first tho beat a very solid ISU team this weekend in Ames.

i am just curious is a one loss team (other than 'bama) would be able to jump a non-aq. i think it would be close. i have debated it, but i do think nu would jump an undefeated bsu, tcu, or utah. i think that extra big 12 championship game against a top ten team would be huge. it adds a lot to sos and the voters pay attention to it. i think we would have to have a good to great game against a good to great team. it would probably hurt if we played osu again, since we already beat them, but maybe not. i wish there was a bcs simulator you could plug in the records and calculate the outcome.

NU would jump one of them if 2 non-AQ's were undefeated because the powers that be aren't letting 2 non-AQ's play in the title game. That's the scenario I see as being the most likely for us.

I think the real fly in the ointment is TCU/Utah. The winner of that game will have played a higher ranked team and won near the end of the season. I do not think we jump them, but Bama may if they win out.

I still think it is Oregon/Bama but TCU/Utah will play if either fall.

Well it's a long shot, but here's what we need:

All assuming Oregon wins out.. which they will. Also assuming Nebraska wins out of course.

MUST HAPPEN:

1. Auburn needs to lose to Alabama AND maybe Georgia too (they could also lose in their conference championship game if they made it)

2. LSU needs to lose @ Arkansas in the last week of the season or in conference championship game if they made it.

3. Ohio St. needs to lose to Iowa or Michigan.

4. Alabama needs to lose to LSU/Mississippi St (probs not happening, but could lose in conference champ game if they made it)

MIGHT NEED TO HAPPEN:

5. Wisconsin needs to lose to Purdue/Indiana/Michigan/Northwestern (we could maybe jump them if they don't lose)

6. Utah needs to lose to San Diego St/BYU/Notre Dame (probably jump them even if they win out tho)

7. TCU needs to lose to Utah/San Diego St (probably jump them even if they win out)

8. Boise needs to lose (probably jump them even if they don't)

9. Stanford has to lose a game (only chances are Oregon St and Arizona) but we could jump them anyways

So 4 MUST HAPPEN scenarios and maybe more.

Iam so sick about hearing about boise state do they every play a true road game?? seriously thoe every time they play their at home it seems like and most of the time its a night game. Their is something to that blue feild I think neways. I hope hawaii beats them They have the team to do it. They just need to play the clock game to win and keep them off the feild. I knoe that boise state virgina tech game was over done. Can you imigane us playing virgina tech in kansas city last year? lmao virgina tech wins against boise if they played at home and if it was a TRUE road game for em.

NU would jump one of them if 2 non-AQ's were undefeated because the powers that be aren't letting 2 non-AQ's play in the title game. That's the scenario I see as being the most likely for us.

IT should be that way also. IM tired of kurt being on the boise state bandwagon thoe orgeon state ? SERIOUSLY? and they call that a tuff game? ok if u say so lol . Maybe if the wac had a championship game they woul;dnt be crying. But then again their going to the mwc so I guess their gonna try and get by with THE we played real good teams and everything. :facepalm:

I find two things odd about this topic.

1. Everyone saying that Oregon "will not" lose. This is college football. I don't think I need to say more than that. But I will anyway. Oregon still has their 2 best opponents left.

2. Oregon need to lose 2 games for us to jump them. That makes no sense. We'll have won against higher ranked teams than they have. We lost against a worse team but beat better teams. Also, late losses are much more harmful to a team's rating.