Kickoff question

We goofed and said that we wanted to kickoff instead of deferring till the second half <_<

Yep. Our Captains screwed up and used the wrong verbiage when we won the toss, and Missouri capitalized on our wording error, and we had to kick off to start both halves.

There are some pretty great quotes from Bo about that in his presser after the game. He even cracked jokes about it, but at the time, he was pretty unhappy.

This may be an example of why having rotating team captains isn't always a great idea. It's rare, but it can bite you in the butt sometimes.

We goofed and said that we wanted to kickoff instead of deferring till the second half <_<

Yep. Our Captains screwed up and used the wrong verbiage when we won the toss, and Missouri capitalized on our wording error, and we had to kick off to start both halves.

There are some pretty great quotes from Bo about that in his presser after the game. He even cracked jokes about it, but at the time, he was pretty unhappy.

This may be an example of why having rotating team captains isn't always a great idea. It's rare, but it can bite you in the butt sometimes.

Thanks knapplc, I was so confused when I saw mizzou getting the ball back in the second half.

Ohhhh in another thread someone said that it was to take the wind... haha that's kind of funny.

Wrong. What i said was, in an example of confusion sometimes at a coin toss of one my high school games in the past, what that we (my team) confused defer with defend a goal. The official thought our captain meant defend the goal, which he did say "defend" I did not mean for it to imply that Nebraska was doing the same.

I've never understood why they make this needlessly complicated. Why does the winner of the kick-off have to choose the right to choose now, or choose later? Why can't it just be kicking and receiving? You see a lot of teams get bit by this a few times a year, I think it's dumb, personally.

• Fire 1

For one thing, it's always been more than kick or receive, you might choose to defend a certain goal because of the wind. And there's always been the chance to screw up even without "defer". In an early AFL championship game, at the start of OT Abner Haynes won the toss and wanted the strong wind, so he said "We'll kick towards the clock". Well, the refs had to take "We'll kick" as his choice so they got neither the ball nor the wind. Luckily for him, they won in the 2nd OT period.

I've never understood why they make this needlessly complicated. Why does the winner of the kick-off have to choose the right to choose now, or choose later? Why can't it just be kicking and receiving? You see a lot of teams get bit by this a few times a year, I think it's dumb, personally.

I agree, if you kickoff one half you rec the other. The other choice should be to defend which side. The kicking team always gets to choose the side to defend. This is really a dumb rule. So, you must say, we choose to defer our decision to make a decision on what we want to do on the second half kickoff? What you say you say????

I always thought defer meant we want to defer our shot at rec to the second half. Now, I see that it means to defer making a choice???

This is just dumb!!!