Courtney Osborne's hit on Gabbert has been sent to Big 12 for review?

Nexus

Not exactly from the game on Saturday... However, it was from the ND v Tulsa game....

I see 2 hits in a span of 4 seconds that would probably get a Nebraska player suspended... Had E. Mart not gotten his suspension this would have not caught my eye at all and if Osbourne gets a suspension, there is a definite target on our back by the commissioner.

ND v Tulsa

I disagree, these are obvious shoulder hits where helmets don't even touch.

I find it hilarious that the word 'flagrant' is being thrown around by Beebe concerning Martin's hit. When you've got 20 yr old kids going around 220 lbs with 4.4 speed running full speed into each other during a kickoff, I would think the situation itself is pretty over the top and outrageous. And you better have a f'ing knack for the flagrant if you find yourself out there amongst the 22. They don't call it 'suicide squad' for nothing.

Not exactly from the game on Saturday... However, it was from the ND v Tulsa game....

I see 2 hits in a span of 4 seconds that would probably get a Nebraska player suspended... Had E. Mart not gotten his suspension this would have not caught my eye at all and if Osbourne gets a suspension, there is a definite target on our back by the commissioner.

ND v Tulsa

I disagree, these are obvious shoulder hits where helmets don't even touch.

The first one yes, I agree... But the second one?!

And from the picture you posted earlier, it sure looks like Osborne's head is pointed downward. Of course, no official is going to be able to see this in real time.

His head isn't "pointing downwards" so much as his body is leaning forward and his head/neck are inline with the angle of his body.

maybe he should have just run at Gabbert with a straightened back.

Or better yet, avoid any remote contact with Gabbert's helmet and just go at his legs. That would clearly be a better way to avoid concussions. Of course Gabberts career might be over from a knee injury, but hey, that's not the popular injury of the day anyway.

I didn't say that...

about the intent to injure part- that was not directed specifically at your comment! after re-reading it does sound that way but was not intended.

there was a missouri writer and some message board fans who had suggested CO had an intent to injure Gabbert. which, of course, is ludicrous.

Really interesting note here, I'm sorry if this has been posted, i didn't see it yet:

http://huskersgameday.com/2010/11/01/mizzous-gary-pinkel-wants-big-12-to-assess-courtney-osborne-hit-on-blaine-gabbert/

Check out the 2007 video (not 2009 as noted in the story) in which our good buddy Cunningham rails against a mizzou player for a hit that was launching/helmet crown. For the record, IMO this was definately a penalty, but an expulsion? c'mon. I think of Oregon's Blount when I think of acts that deserve expulsion/suspension. not this, as dirty as it may look in the video its what the personal foul penalty is intended for.

Cunningham's crusade against aggressive tackling is apparnetly nothing new.

I think the most telling aspect of this 'big hit' issue in sports are the veterans who are speaking out AGAINST these sanctions, believing that these hits happen and those in power shouldn't be trying to change anything. It's a dangerous sport in action and philosophy. If you don't want big hits (the very hits these leagues glorify and make millions off of), then take away the pads and play two-hand touch.

Facemask to facemask... completely legal.

People need to understand that the term "Helmet to helmet" doesn't constitute and illegal hit. Just because to helmets collide doesn't make it illegal. It is illegal when the defender leads with the crown of his helmet (eyes down) to make the play, this didn't happen here.

I think you're getting a little bit too technical with this. A facemask is a part of the helmet. That's kind of like saying "No, Favre didn't need 10 stitches because of helmet to helmet contact. That was clearly helmet-to-chinstrap contact! Totally different! Dur Durrhhhhhh."

And from the picture you posted earlier, it sure looks like Osborne's head is pointed downward. Of course, no official is going to be able to see this in real time.

I'm not saying that Osborne should be suspended. I'm perfectly fine with the dangers present in such a violent sport. What I am against, is people (as you say) trying to ignore what ACTUALLY happened. Do you truly believe that Osborne's facemask, from the picture you posted, is in contact with Gabbert's facemask? If so, I really can't argue with you.

I posted the actual ruling in the thread epoc stared. The rule clearly states tge crown of the helmet. He is not being too technical.

I think the most telling aspect of this 'big hit' issue in sports are the veterans who are speaking out AGAINST these sanctions, believing that these hits happen and those in power shouldn't be trying to change anything. It's a dangerous sport in action and philosophy. If you don't want big hits (the very hits these leagues glorify and make millions off of), then take away the pads and play two-hand touch.

"Targeting" is a type of hitting that really is out of line, though. If you look at the couple videos a few posts above this one, where a player has his eyes down and literally uses the crown of his helmet to make himself into a missile... that's ridiculously dangerous, and cheap. Those hits should not be part of the game.

However, the hits by Martin, Meredith, and Osborne were not this. They were clean, legal, great football hits.

Osborne's hit on Dennard is closer to "targeting" than the other hits, and obviously it was the type of accidental collision that is bound to happen between both teammates and opponents from time to time.

The malicious stuff, we should all agree on getting rid of that. It's just that the hits we're talking about with Nebraska simply haven't been malicious.

I asked this in another thread, but it also happened to be the last thing posted in that thread, so i'll post it here...

Maybe this has been answered before, but I missed it if it has been.. Since there is no appeal process in the Big 12 or no committee or anything, just Beebe, is it possible to appeal suspensions to the NCAA, especially if he's suspended for that this week after what happened with Martin last week?