Why isn't Nebraska getting punished for the Texas loss?

GSG

I don't understand the fixation with how we might sneak into the championship. Sitting back praying for other teams to lose is just stupid and we're not going to make it unless Oregon loses, TCU loses, Boise loses and every team in the SEC loses twice. Then we might have a chance at playing Utah in the championship. That's not the game anyone wants and it would be marred by controversy. Whee, everyone sucked enough so we got in!

We had our chance and lost it. But, after giving two quality teams their first loss we're still right in there for a conference championship and the Fiesta Bowl. That's what I'm thinking about.

My dog spilled my milk at breakfast the other morning. I was eating a big meal of steak and eggs... so it was sure tough to finish the meal without the refreshing feeling of washing it all down with that glass of milk. To make matters worse, I had nothing else to drink. I really wanted that milk, I can't believe it got spilled. Things would be so much better if I could have got my milk that day. If only it wouldn't have gotten spilled..... oh the possibilities.

I know it's not the same, but if you keep a box of that powdered milk in your cupboard it's not bad in a pinch.

Am I missing the point of your post?

A lot of people are forgetting the fact that Texas is LOADED with 4 and 5 star players- its not like they don't have talent. This game was hyped up so much by everyone at Nebraska, we all knew Texas would come to play, and if they were going to live up to their preseason expectations, it would be that game. Mack Brown is regarded as one of the top coaches in the country, Texas is regarded as one of the top programs in the country, and in the preseason, they were regarded as one of the top teams in the country. Yes, theyre not living up to expectations this year, but I don't see why everyone is saying this is such a bad loss. Theyre Texas, we're Nebraska, theyre gonna play their best when they play us. We played horribly, they played their best game of the year. Its not like we got blown out at home by freaking Kansas.

im sure the college voters take into account the number of 4 and 5 star recruits on each team.

My point was that Texas was in the National Championship game last year, top 5 recruiting classes usually= success on the field. Its not like we lost to a team full of 2 star players with no NFL prospects or anything. A lot of Texas' players are very highly regarded and talented.

This brings up an interesting point about the value systems among various ranking methods. I actually contacted Richard Billingsley and Ken Massey a couple years ago with a question about this. Some rankings value the consistency of a teams, while others do not. The writer of this article clearly does, or thinks he does.

Many (most?) computer systems are essentially SOS x W%, with several other variables possibly thrown in. In systems like these, we aren't hurt by the fact our loss was to a relatively bad team. So, had we beaten Texas but lost to Missouri, our ranking would be identical. Our SOS doesn't change and our winning percentage doesn't change. In this scenario, we aren't hurt by the loss to a poor Texas team, but we also don't get the boost from a win against unbeaten Mizzou. It evens out.

In systems that value consistency, we are hurt a little by our loss (Texas) more than we would be with the aforementioned scenario (loss to MU). Billingsley's system is like this, which is why we're currently a little lower in his than most of the others.

Either the writer has similar ranking values to Billingsley, or he hasn't thought it all the way through. If we had beaten Texas but lost to Mizzou, would he then be comfortable with our current position (7th)? His line of reasoning suggests it, but I kind of doubt it.

The only way we get into the National Championship is by taking care of business the next 5 (hopefully) games.

The media would quickly change their minds about us if we looked like BSU the next few weeks, except against better competition. If we win our next 4 games 52-10 they will start looking at us differently. If we play OU in the Big 12 Champ, we need to take them out of the game in the first half. If we play OSU, we need to have the same kind of offensive production that we had the first time, but hold them to less than 10 points in the first half and 20 overall. If we play Baylor, we need to win 52-10. I understand that Baylor would've beaten OU and OSU to get there, but we still need to make them look like Baylor (TCU destroyed them).

Also, none of this can be a margin of victory type thing. We need to pounce on every team we play. We need to be up 35 points at half, so no one can say we are running up the score late. We need to prove beyond a doubt that we are the best team in the Big 12. If we do that, we have a shot at playing in the NCG. We would still need Oregon or Auburn to lose, but we would be able to jump TCU/Utah and BSU if we played like that.

Nebraska is getting a boost because we just played the toughest portion of our schedule. Kinda like Boise got in the first standings. Our schedule gets a lot weaker now and even winning out may drop us. For example, if Bama beats auburn late in the year we won't jump them.

That and I think that voters can see that we had a crap day and beat ourselves. Timing is every thing.

Nebraska is getting a boost because we just played the toughest portion of our schedule. Kinda like Boise got in the first standings. Our schedule gets a lot weaker now and even winning out may drop us. For example, if Bama beats auburn late in the year we won't jump them.

That and I think that voters can see that we had a crap day and beat ourselves. Timing is every thing.

Yup,Evan a beastly team like us has bad days. :)

If you are going to lose, do it early, this has happened every year. I don't know why this guy is crying foul about this...NU still has to win out and get tons of help from everyone else. Must be a slow day in the CFB world <_<

Yep this was what I was going to say. Lose early and you catch a break. The system has been this way forever. It's called finishing strong and finding chemistry. So many voters kept Alabama high even though they lost...why? Because they believe Alabama was still a great football team. Freshman QB...first strong defensive opponent...7 point loss...we're not the same team we were 2 weeks ago.

• Fire 1

Blah Blah Blah....A Texas loss to a top 25 ranked Baylor team isn't something I would say would hurt the Huskers.

On the other hand....ISU beating them....yeah that should have and possibly did hurt us last week. We didn't move up but two/three spots last week after beating an unbeaten top 25 Okie State team at their house.

I think right now the Huskers are about where they should be and a Utah/TCU loss or Auburn/Alabama loss means they move up again. As long as they take care of business with IA State.

IDK about everyone else but I am hoping for a Auburn win as I think there might be a chance that a one loss Auburn team remains ahead of us. Still any talk of a MNC is really really off kilt right now. Need to worry about winning out ourselves before worrying about everyone else.

**EDIT: Ok so that blah blah blah was intended at the article. not any of the comments above mine :nutz

While I agree with you that a one loss Auburn team could stay ahead of us, I think it is a lot more probable that Oregon wins out. If both Oregon and Auburn win out, then really all we can hope for is winning the Big 12 Championship Game and a good BCS Bowl. Right now, the deck seems stacked against us. It almost seems like Bama will have to lose again and Auburn will have to lose before we have a shot.

Um, oregon still plays arizona and oregon state. I see them losing one of those games.

If you are going to lose, do it early, this has happened every year. I don't know why this guy is crying foul about this...NU still has to win out and get tons of help from everyone else. Must be a slow day in the CFB world <_<

Yep this was what I was going to say. Lose early and you catch a break. The system has been this way forever. It's called finishing strong and finding chemistry. So many voters kept Alabama high even though they lost...why? Because they believe Alabama was still a great football team. Freshman QB...first strong defensive opponent...7 point loss...we're not the same team we were 2 weeks ago.

I think it's better losing early to catch a break than losing late to catch a break. Every football game, you should get better and better. It makes sense that you could have been a worse teaming losing early, and are now a better team.