Magic Practiced "Surprisingly Well"

Husker Z

Too bad Rex is already "Superman"

Magic Man

INCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson says injured quarterback Taylor Martinez practiced "surprisingly well" Tuesday and will be ready to play Saturday at Iowa State.

Martinez sprained his right ankle in the ninth-ranked Cornhuskers' (No. 7 BCS, No. 9 AP) game against Missouri last week and was on the sideline for the second half. He missed practice Monday.

Watson said there's no swelling in Martinez's ankle and that the freshman's workload will increase at Wednesday's practice.

Watson said he was impressed with Martinez's ability to bounce back, calling him "Superman."

I have never sprained anything before. For those of you that have (specifically an ankle), what was the recovery time like for you and what was the pain like that first week on a scale of 1-10?

This just has me slightly worried because Gabbert got hurt against us last year (ankle) and never recovered from it during the season, and we also rely on Martinez' running a lot more than Missouri does Gabbert.

I have never sprained anything before. For those of you that have (specifically an ankle), what was the recovery time like for you and what was the pain like that first week on a scale of 1-10?

This just has me slightly worried because Gabbert got hurt against us last year (ankle) and never recovered from it during the season, and we also rely on Martinez' running a lot more than Missouri does Gabbert.

I did it when I was younger.. I don't really remember the pain much from back then, just know that I did have issues down the road until I was done athletically.. The smallest tweak would make it hurt, but nothing that wasn't bearable..

Depends on the severity, but since Watson said that there was no swelling, it's not that bad. It will hurt for about a few days to a week. He might tweak it here and there, thats just because the ligament isn't healed and makes the ankle less stable, but it will only cause mild discomfort and won't keep him out long if at all.

Recovery time for an ankle sprain depends completely upon the severity. It could be anywhere from a week to months. I sprained an ankle during basketball in PE, but I just got up and kept playing. I ended up tearing the ligaments pretty bad, and my ankle was never the same. (I couldn't hurdle anymore, even with a brace, because my ankle wasn't strong enough) My ankle didn't ever swell up and the pain was never unbearable.

I almost hope they hold him out this week to let it heal, especially since he depends so much on his running.

I sprained my ankle at a flag football game when some dude from the Nebraska wrestling team made me his bitch. I walked off the field alright, limped home, and the next day couldn't walk at all. It swelled up like hell and I ended up getting crutches that day. But about the next day or two after I was completely fine again. They can go away very quickly.

lets just hope whatever the case is that we trust the coaches and the trainer that they know about t-magic and whats going on with him... they wont want to risk him for long term so i can see the snaps going a couple ways in practice but i believe the coaches that if he is ready to go he is ready.......