Cody Green Not Dual Threat

If someone else already started this topic, sorry and please move it. I've seen enough that proves Green is a highly overrated runner -- compared to what he seemed like in high school. He's just not nearly as explosive as he looked at the lower level.

What gives? Higher competition in college? But in high school in Texas, he faced really good athletes on defense. So why did his high school game videos mislead us so much? Do you remember how excited we were when he committed to us? :dunno

Forget about comparing him to T-Magic ... way too much separation in favor of Taylor. But comparing him as a runner to Blaine Gabbert or Joe Ganz, he doesn't seem to hold a candle to either.

I see potential for Cody Green as a passer, but he is clearly not a dual-threat QB, and our offensive system is a bad fit for him. Watson's offense with Pelini's first team fit his talents better. I think he should find a team with a pro-style offense to develop his passing skills. Nebraska is no longer the right team for him.

For starters, Texas may have a lot of division one prospects, but they're not ALL division one prospects. Plus, skill positions generally look really good in high school because they're not facing off against division one talent on a defense every week. This is why you see multiple running backs go up over 2,000 yards rushing for individual seasons.

Second, Green is a still a dual threat, but his stride and height are what kills him. Given he is 6'4", it takes him far longer to get to full speed than it does it someone who is shorter with a smaller stride. Their are exceptions to every rule (i.e. Usain Bolt) but, for the most part, shorter guys are faster.

I'd still wager that Green is faster than Lee, Ganz, or Blain Gabbert in a distance run.

You have some good points, but he has not shown to be a running threat ... so it's hard to describe him as a dual threat. When was the last time he made a big run? I remember he made a long run along the sideline against a bad defense early last season ... that was about it. He really hasn't had a great run since. But I think he can develop into a decent thrower ... I just don't think that would be NU.

I think he is definately in the dual threat category, however he is not very good at the zone-read part of the game is also not a very strong thrower (accurate i should say). I think he would be better served in a shotgun spread throwing offense rather than a shotgun zone-read offense. Cody would likely thrive in an offense like Missouri's or TTech where he could bolt once the receivers get downfield. Cody just cant run in traffic, it is difficult for a guy his size to slash and juke his way through the line or around it without getting tripped up. I think we got him because we wanted to dual threat, however we didnt really know which direction we wanted to go with the offense quite yet Oregon style dual-threat or Mizzou style dual-threat, hence we gave Zenitram the chance to try out at QB. Now it appears we are obviously going for a more Oregon style and Green will likely be lost in the shuffle and wont really pan out. I hate telling a kid to transfer but if he wants legitimate shot at playing he will need to find an offensive style that is more condusive to his skill set.

I think the title of this thread should read "Cody Green not a threat"

Maybe I'm to used to KwikiMart, but my lord did he look slow and sluggish. Thank God Rex is a gifted athlete to take all those snaps and maintain the running game.

• Fire 1

Cody is a dual-threat, but he isn't really a shift option style runner. I don't think he was ever that explosive, but had (and still does) real speed that he used to run over teams in his Texas division. I think it was always said that he needed a while to get going, but once he built a full head of steam he was pretty blazing.

It's the type of speed that lends him as a dual threat in the sense that if he threatens defenses with his arm, and they have to sit back in coverage, he can find a lane and take off for a first down. Guys like Aaron Rodgers or Josh Freeman I think would fit that definition too, although of course they are much better passers. The thing about Green is he was extremely raw as a passing prospect as well, so he always needed quite a bit of time to grow into that role.

Keep in mind that he's a sophomore that was thrown into the fire last year, as well as this year when he should have spent both sitting and learning slowly. That's affected his development negatively IMO. He is a lot less far along than he probably thinks, but he always had a potential to develop into a true dual threat. So far, that's far from being realized.

Taylor is a guy that is a dual threat in similar fashion (both are more 'single threats' on the ground). But, Taylor is a much more electric runner, and that has opened up the passing to him in ways that it hasn't for Green. Taylor is probably not even as good a passer as Green, which puts him at 4th on the team at best - but you wouldn't ever know that by the statistics, because he is really being maximized. That's a credit to the system that takes advantage of the real threat he brings with his feet. We've seen some real solid passing production-to-talent ratio out of Taylor, IMO.

Lee looks faster.

Not a knock on Cody as Lee is pretty fast in his own right (just trained as a passer first). I think Cody could be faster though.

I wasn't even aware that Cody Green was a single threat

Dual threat is usually just a nice term thrown around to 'quarterbacks' who can run but can't throw...style-wise, Cody is a dual-threat, he just hasn't developed into one yet. Just like a poor quarterback who can't run is still a pocket passer by style.