Cody Green Not Dual Threat

I can see griping about stuff that some of our players do, but we're seriously going to throw a solid guy like Green under the bus on our own forums because he's not as good as Martinez, who just may be a generational talent?

Some of the things posted on these forums baffle me. :facepalm:

This forum isn't what it used to be, unfortunately.

I have always been and forever will be in support of Cody Green.

Agreed, the kid had loft expectations coming in and unfortunatly hasnt lived up to them. But he has won us two games that he has started, and he has always been a stand up kid. No need to bash the kid.

• Fire 1

Just a couple of things here, since people were talking about both of these ..

Cody was recruited to run the same offense we run now. We recruited him knowing we were changing to this offense.

With that said, no one gets a scholarship offer or is able to commit without Bo's approval. He has the ultimate final say in EVERY decision making process when it comes to recruiting. Position coaches only offer their input, while Bo makes the final call.

Cody is just a weird kid. You put him in a non-scrimmage or non-game type situation, and he will shine. Put the lights on him, and he will fold. For him, it's all mental right now. He has the physical tools to do whatever he wants, he just has not put it together yet. A bit of that goes back to the RS year he needed so badly last year.

If the light ever comes on for him, he can be a VERY solid QB somewhere. Unfortunately, I just do not think that will be here, if he wishes to stay at QB anyways.

Cody was recruited to run the same offense we run now. We recruited him knowing we were changing to this offense.

With that said, no one gets a scholarship offer or is able to commit without Bo's approval. He has the ultimate final say in EVERY decision making process when it comes to recruiting. Position coaches only offer their input, while Bo makes the final call.

Cody is just a weird kid. You put him in a non-scrimmage or non-game type situation, and he will shine. Put the lights on him, and he will fold. For him, it's all mental right now. He has the physical tools to do whatever he wants, he just has not put it together yet. A bit of that goes back to the RS year he needed so badly last year.

If the light ever comes on for him, he can be a VERY solid QB somewhere. Unfortunately, I just do not think that will be here, if he wishes to stay at QB anyways.

I've been wondering about this as well. Last year, we burnt Green's redshirt so he could back up Lee all the while Martinez was redshirting playing WR on the scout team. This year, Green is the #3 QB behind Lee and Martinez. I've got to think Green is athletic enough to make a contribution somewhere. A year running the scout team could probably do wonders for him.

#1- Cody was brought in for a similar offense, no doubt. But they didn't plan on being a team that ran the ball 70% of the time back then. Cody and Taylor operate out of the same playbook, but do not have the same options, right? They have different options in both the running and passing game, as well as abilities to call audibles. When I was saying Cody wasn't brought in to run this offense, I mean the nearly 70% running offense we have this year.

#2- Glad this is the case now, Bo has certainly cleaned up the recruiting and the results are showing.

#3- I would say 70% mental and 30% the limitations they place on him when he's in the game.

#4- Agreed 100%

#1- Cody was brought in for a similar offense, no doubt. But they didn't plan on being a team that ran the ball 70% of the time back then. Cody and Taylor operate out of the same playbook, but do not have the same options, right? They have different options in both the running and passing game, as well as abilities to call audibles. When I was saying Cody wasn't brought in to run this offense, I mean the nearly 70% running offense we have this year.

#2- Glad this is the case now, Bo has certainly cleaned up the recruiting and the results are showing.

#3- I would say 70% mental and 30% the limitations they place on him when he's in the game.

#4- Agreed 100%

i disagree with your #1. he was brought in to run this offense (running 70% of the time). we were planning to run this offense before Green committed to the skers. thats why you have been seeing the same type of recruits at qb as he and martinez since before this season. Carnes is a dual threat even more so than these two, he is not quite the runner martinez is but close and he is a better pure passer than either one.

#4- Agreed 100%

i disagree with your #1. he was brought in to run this offense (running 70% of the time). we were planning to run this offense before Green committed to the skers. thats why you have been seeing the same type of recruits at qb as he and martinez since before this season. Carnes is a dual threat even more so than these two, he is not quite the runner martinez is but close and he is a better pure passer than either one.

Carnes was a late addition, you think Gabbert was brought in with the zone read in mind? Were they recruiting Christian Suntrup with this offense in mind? Cody Kessler? Connor Brewer being recruiting for 2012 the same?

This staff did not know in 2008 that we would be using so much of Oregon's style of offense in 2010. Did they expect to run the ball more? Yes, could you say that they expected to run out of the shotgun? Sure. But they did not know in 2008 when Cody was being recruited that they would be running this exact scheme, even heading into fall camp they didn't know we would lean so heavily on what we're doing.