The problem with our defense

74Hunter

Damon Benning mentioned that since our D has been on the field so much and the makeup of our D, they are getting tired. That is why they have been missing tackles and doing some of the boneheaded stuff. It looked the same last year in the KU game.

This has been a concern of mine. Bo doesn't mind giving up 3, 4, 5 yards and making the offense earn a score with a long drive. But when TO was coaching that was what his offense did, and it wore down defenses and stomped a mudhole in them. I'm afraid that is what is happening to our D.

Damon Benning mentioned that since our D has been on the field so much and the makeup of our D, they are getting tired. That is why they have been missing tackles and doing some of the boneheaded stuff. It looked the same last year in the KU game.

This has been a concern of mine. Bo doesn't mind giving up 3, 4, 5 yards and making the offense earn a score with a long drive. But when TO was coaching that was what his offense did, and it wore down defenses and stomped a mudhole in them. I'm afraid that is what is happening to our D.

From an observation standpoint, it seems like our defense has been on the field similar to what they were last year. But, instead of the defense being on the field because the offense isn't doing anything, it's because the offense is now actually scoring points.

And, the statistics somewhat back it up. Last year, teams averaged 29:30 in time of possession against us. This year, teams are averaging 30:02 against us in time of possession according to Huskers.com. That isn't a big discrepancy, at least not in my opinion.

I think the problem is that the defense just isn't shutting people down and forcing drives to end. If they would stop the offenses on first down and allow for longer second and third downs, this wouldn't be a problem. But, we're giving offenses far too many manageable third and short situations.

But when TO was coaching that was what his offense did, and it wore down defenses and stomped a mudhole in them. I'm afraid that is what is happening to our D.

The biggest problem isn't the style of defense, but it is our boom-or-bust offense. We can bust off short drives that result in scores which causes a problem, or we can just as easily get 3-and-outs quite often.

ToP is hard to control when your offense goes about its business the way we do.

But when TO was coaching that was what his offense did, and it wore down defenses and stomped a mudhole in them. I'm afraid that is what is happening to our D.

The biggest problem isn't the style of defense, but it is our boom-or-bust offense. We can bust off short drives that result in scores which causes a problem, or we can just as easily get 3-and-outs quite often.

ToP is hard to control when your offense goes about its business the way we do.

I agree totally. We need to keep our offense of the field enough to get our defense some breathing time. When our offense goes on the long drives it really does alot for our defense. When we go three and out though it only hurts us. Ball control is key.

Not sure I agree with Dammon. I dont think its a case of TOP as mentioned earlier, I believe if there is a fatigue issue then it is probably more related to the type of offenses we have faced. The speed at which OSU, MU and ISU ran their offense is probably the biggest factor. And its November and players start to hit the wall, especially true freshman.

After this game, I immediately thought of the KU game last year. That game immediately followed the OU game last year, also a real draining game. The D-Line looked tired, the secondary looked a little slowed, but still was able to come up with some plays. We'll see how they bounce back this week.

Bottom line until we can stop the run we will just be a mediocre defense. You have to take one or the other away from a defensive standpoint. Against Ok State you take away the pass and force the run. But against Iowa State you have to gameplane different. If Bo had to do it over agian i bet he would have put more emphasis on stopping the run earlier in the game so they didnt get the confidence rolling on the ground. Each team is different to prepare for and poses its own challenges. I'll put my money on Bo to matchup our boys in positions to win battles and make plays. Next year however Bo will be forced to go with at least two linebackers against the bigger slower Big Ten teams that like to pound the rock.

Not sure I agree with Dammon. I dont think its a case of TOP as mentioned earlier, I believe if there is a fatigue issue then it is probably more related to the type of offenses we have faced. The speed at which OSU, MU and ISU ran their offense is probably the biggest factor. And its November and players start to hit the wall, especially true freshman.

Agreed. As I pointed out, the TOP isn't drastically different from the opponents' TOP last year.

Anyone remember Aaron Graham? He had a very interesting take on our DL. He said that Crick's pad level is way too high. He said he loved to block guys back in the day that play the way Crick is with his pads being too high. He also said that Stein will be a stud once he figures out how to use his hands and his leverage. I have a feeling this is one of the reasons our run D isn't very impressive this year.

Once our young safeties get the calls down, and know where everybody needs to line up will make a huge difference. Thats one big thing that made things easier last year was Asante and O'Hanlon knew the scheme like the back of their hand, along with Dillard.

Once our young safeties get the calls down, and know where everybody needs to line up will make a huge difference. Thats one big thing that made things easier last year was Asante and O'Hanlon knew the scheme like the back of their hand, along with Dillard.

This is a huge key. Notice how we've got guys moving all over trying to get lined up right until the snap, vs last year where they were set quickly, and take a quick glance toward the sideline to see if there were any adjustments.