Taylor Martinez

huskers1

After watching T-Marts senior high school film another time I noticed that he has changed his throwing motion since high school. He used to have more of a motion like Tebow where he drops his arm a little then throws it. Now he keeps the ball high and releases it from there. I'm not sure what to think about it bc watching his high school film he's really freaking accurate. Earlier in the year he had a few games where he would literally throw the ball yards in front of the intended target. However, he has become more and more accurate as the year goes on. I really can't wait to see how he progresses throughout his career.

I've noticed that too. There is a big difference between some of his passes at the beginning of the season to now. Of course thats partly due to practice, I'm talkin' bout practice not the game, but practice. And also Watson, who professed the whole season how much he believed in Martinez as a passer, finally opening up the play book against OSU. He seems a lot more confident. I hope to see him passing a lot more in the next several games (BCS game :koolaid2: ) even if are run game is tearing a defense up during a game.

IMO the odd throwing motion helps him out sometimes. Some of those throws look like sinkers or something LOL. I think our recievers are getting more and more used to it, and the defense just can't tell where the hell its going.

Odd throwing motion in HS, or now? Is the higher release a change the coaches made? If so, I wonder why?

im not really able to tell a difference like the rest of you. I would think they are working with him to get better form or w/e. Sometimes I think you end up obsessing over an ideal form however and you ruin something that was just fine.

Me neither. But if T-Mart has developed an odd throwing motion, he wouldn't be the only Husker QB with one. Cody Green has a giddyup in his hitch. Frankly, I don't really care what a guy's motion looks like. As long as it gets the ball from A to B accurately, and with zip when needed.

T-Mart put in alot of time to get his arm angle up. In HS, it literally looked like he was throwing the ball out of his hip.

Still wish his motion was a bit higher and not as much like a side-arm MLB pitcher, but I guess he needs to do what is comfortable as well.

The one thing he does need to improve on is repeating the same motion on the run as he does inside the pocket. When he is on the move he goes back to his HS throwing motion, which is a bit of the reason why his throwing outside the pocket is hot garbage.

T-Mart put in alot of time to get his arm angle up. In HS, it literally looked like he was throwing the ball out of his hip.

Still wish his motion was a bit higher and not as much like a side-arm MLB pitcher, but I guess he needs to do what is comfortable as well.

The one thing he does need to improve on is repeating the same motion on the run as he does inside the pocket. When he is on the move he goes back to his HS throwing motion, which is a bit of the reason why his throwing outside the pocket is hot garbage.

To me, it looks as if he is throwing the ball straight up in the air at times, but it seems to get where it needs to be most of the time. It is a wierd motion, though.

To me, it looks as if he is throwing the ball straight up in the air at times, but it seems to get where it needs to be most of the time. It is a wierd motion, though.

There was video of Taylor throwing back in Spring ball where he looked like a broken robot throwing the ball. That was one of the main reasons so many were skeptical of him getting the starting gig this year. He seems to have fixed that pretty well.

IMO the odd throwing motion helps him out sometimes. Some of those throws look like sinkers or something LOL. I think our recievers are getting more and more used to it, and the defense just can't tell where the hell its going.

Odd throwing motion in HS, or now? Is the higher release a change the coaches made? If so, I wonder why?

Not an expert on this, but he gets a lot of passes batted down and isn't that tall for a QB. Would a higher release combat that a little?

I think the "ideology" behind his throwing motion, at least in terms of his release point, is the fact it makes it harder for defenses to intercept his passes. He throws the ball "nose down" which could explain why you see some short-hops and low throws to the receivers, which are frustrating to watch, he is getting better, but those passes won't get picked off as easily. If he threw "nose up" then those passes could go off the receivers hands or be picked off by the defense because it's easier to see. An example of throwing "nose up" would be Brett Favre. At least that's what they were talking about on AM 1620 one afternoon.