Second Running Back Recruit

I'd rather see us take one more DT or LB than another RB.

unless we can get a true difference maker (like heard), i agree.

I think we are still recruiting one more DT and LB. I'm saying if Heard can't make it his spot needs to go to another capable running back.

yes, we are already pursuing at least 3 DL and 2 LB. what i'm saying is that, depending of course on the talent of the individual recruits, i would strongly consider a 4th DL or a 3rd LB over a 2nd RB.

• 4 weeks later...

After watching Trey Robinson in these past few games get some Playing Time, I think he might end up being a nice back for us next year behind Rex Burkhead and Aaron Green. Austin Jones has shown promise as well. I think if Aaron pans out to be as good as he looks and can come in and play early, we will be fine at RB next year. We will have 4 guys that can play and won't need an every down back. It wouldn't hurt us to grab up a second RB in this year's class, but I don't think we are going to be super shallow at the position of we don't.

After watching Trey Robinson in these past few games get some Playing Time, I think he might end up being a nice back for us next year behind Rex Burkhead and Aaron Green. Austin Jones has shown promise as well. I think if Aaron pans out to be as good as he looks and can come in and play early, we will be fine at RB next year. We will have 4 guys that can play and won't need an every down back. It wouldn't hurt us to grab up a second RB in this year's class, but I don't think we are going to be super shallow at the position of we don't.

I agree with you on Robinson, he is deserving of some carries. Rex is Rex and I expect to see Aaron Green getting some carries.

I really think we need another back in this class. I think Jones, Ward, and Okafor are all dogs. If they were good enough they would have gotten carries last year. I would like to see more depth at the RB position. I see it as only 3 deep with a true frosh. One injury makes the situation really thin.

I dont know if Heard will make it, I hope he will. It is tricky situation waiting on Heard and trusting him to get the grades. Wouldnt mind seeing a JUCO back. Time will tell.

I agree with you on Robinson, he is deserving of some carries. Rex is Rex and I expect to see Aaron Green getting some carries.

I really think we need another back in this class. I think Jones, Ward, and Okafor are all dogs. If they were good enough they would have gotten carries last year. I would like to see more depth at the RB position. I see it as only 3 deep with a true frosh. One injury makes the situation really thin.

I dont know if Heard will make it, I hope he will. It is tricky situation waiting on Heard and trusting him to get the grades. Wouldnt mind seeing a JUCO back. Time will tell.

I think we need another, but I think we should go for a h.s. back rather than a juco. Last year's two recruits listed at RB were Heard and Bell, who's now at WR. The year before was both Rex and Tray and neither one redshirted. Our youngest back next year, besides Green would be Rex and Tray. I think we need more young backs. Green prolly won't redshirt either. It'd be nice to get one in and shirt him.

I think we need another, but I think we should go for a h.s. back rather than a juco. Last year's two recruits listed at RB were Heard and Bell, who's now at WR. The year before was both Rex and Tray and neither one redshirted. Our youngest back next year, besides Green would be Rex and Tray. I think we need more young backs. Green prolly won't redshirt either. It'd be nice to get one in and shirt him.

Bell was never going to be a RB here. It was always WR or if needed a DB. I think NU can get away without another RB this year, but more than likely be taking two next year.

If Bubba makes it to campus, along with Turner and AG...since we have T-Magic...I would think there would be a lot of competition to get on the field at any of the spots. We could move people around depending on where they could excell. Magic to TB? Slot? Move Turner to SB or RB, with Bubba under center. Then there's next year's dark horse: Brion Carnes.

If we could get another top RB, then I am for it...but I agree with the others as far as recruiting another DE/DT...or another high quality LB to take over after David Graduates.

If Bubba makes it to campus, along with Turner and AG...since we have T-Magic...I would think there would be a lot of competition to get on the field at any of the spots. We could move people around depending on where they could excell. Magic to TB? Slot? Move Turner to SB or RB, with Bubba under center. Then there's next year's dark horse: Brion Carnes.

If we could get another top RB, then I am for it...but I agree with the others as far as recruiting another DE/DT...or another high quality LB to take over after David Graduates.

There is no way Martinez will ever be a running back with his fumble problems. Period. End of Story. WR or DB maybe, but not a RB. Another thing to think about... Let's say Martinez knows Carnes is a beast and he knows there is a good chance he'll get beat out at the QB position after having a season so good he was labeled "t-magic" he broke a former heisman trophy winner's freshman rushing record after half the season, and he was considered for several major awards before his injury... if he senses he will not be the starting QB after that kind of season this year, that in itself could lead him to think he is good enough to start at a great school somewhere else. It's happened before with NU's QB's, it could happen again. Just sayin'.

Right now Taylor has no competition at the QB positon with Green and Lee because neither have speed close to his and their passing skills are similar or only slightly better. When Carnes comes in with similar speed, Turner comes in with similar speed, and Starling comes in with similar speed but more size, it's gonna come down to who can execute, pass, and perform under pressure. How is Martinez gonna deal with that? Will he rise up to competition and drop some pride to be a team player? Or will he go someplace where he can be the star? No one really knows what kind of Character Taylor has, other than those who are around him every day. We should know more after spring practice when Jamal and Brion have their chance to compete, but until then everything is rumor and speculation which holds no credibility and no truth.

There is no way Martinez will ever be a running back with his fumble problems. Period. End of Story. WR or DB maybe, but not a RB.

I don't remember Martinez fumbling very much running the ball. His fumbles come when the pocket collapses and he has to be decisive...which he isn't. We've seen it when he's scambling and makes one of those rediculous underhanded throws. How many times did you see him throw a ball away this year? 0? 1? That's almost ENTIRELY on the QB coach. To see it in his first few starts is one thing, but the 10th? Not acceptable. But I personally wouldn't label him a fumbler when he's rushing the ball. No more so than I'd call Rex or Roy fumblers.

There is no way Martinez will ever be a running back with his fumble problems. Period. End of Story. WR or DB maybe, but not a RB.

I don't remember Martinez fumbling very much running the ball. His fumbles come when the pocket collapses and he has to be decisive...which he isn't. We've seen it when he's scambling and makes one of those rediculous underhanded throws. How many times did you see him throw a ball away this year? 0? 1? That's almost ENTIRELY on the QB coach. To see it in his first few starts is one thing, but the 10th? Not acceptable. But I personally wouldn't label him a fumbler when he's rushing the ball. No more so than I'd call Rex or Roy fumblers.

I'd call Roy a fumbler. He's fumbled at some ridiculous times this season. Rex, no way. Dude's a stud and that last game is on Caputo in the wildcat. Have we heard reports that Carnes is Turner, Starling, and Taylor fast? If so, I didn't know that, but that's exciting!

martinez fumbled more than a few times when running the ball.

I remember a few, but most of his fumbles that I remember came when he wasn't completely committed to the run. A running back gets the ball...they are running the football. When Taylor has it he's got a million things going through his head. Early in the season his fumbles where mostly in the zone-read exchange, which IMO is just ripe for a fumble, and I personally don't care for it much. Cody on the other hand had some bad fumbles after a 5-8 yard scramble, etc.

I remember a few, but most of his fumbles that I remember came when he wasn't completely committed to the run. A running back gets the ball...they are running the football. When Taylor has it he's got a million things going through his head. Early in the season his fumbles where mostly in the zone-read exchange, which IMO is just ripe for a fumble, and I personally don't care for it much. Cody on the other hand had some bad fumbles after a 5-8 yard scramble, etc.

I respectfully disagree. I don't remember how many times I saw Taylor *try* to take off on a run, carrying the ball like a loaf of bread, get smacked from some odd direction he may or may not have seen coming, and then had the ball pop out. Probably lost years off my life this year on that alone. And also, not to bag on the kid, especially since Cody has this same issue, but if we're going to retain Watson and continue to run this godforsaken zone read attack on offense, we cannot have a QB running the show who can't run our BASE PLAY without fumbling... no matter what it is.