This Will Be The Best Class In A Long Time

This class is shaping up to be disgustingly elite. Here is the break down for who we have committed, and who is on our radar to fill up the final spots.

Committed:

Aaron Green ( :star :star :star :star)

Tyler Moore ( :star :star :star :star)

Charles Jackson ( :star :star :star :star)

Ryan Klachko ( :star :star :star :star)

Tevin Mitchel ( :star :star :star :star)

Ryne Reeves ( :star :star :star :star)

David Santos ( :star :star :star :star)

Saimion Stafford ( :star :star :star :star)

Bubba Starling ( :star :star :star :star)

Zach Sterup ( :star :star :star :star)

Jamal Turner ( :star :star :star :star)

Kevin Williams ( :star :star :star)

Taariq Allen ( :star :star :star)

Daniel Davie ( :star :star :star)

Aaryn Bouzon ( :star :star)

Niklas Sade ( :star :star)

On The Radar (In order of most likely to commit)

Lake Koa-Ka'ai ( :star :star :star)

Todd Peat JR ( :star :star :star :star)

Darien Bryant ( :star :star :star)

Wayne Lyons ( :star :star :star :star)

Christian Heyward ( :star :star :star :star)

Long Shots

Mickey Johnson ( :star :star :star :star)

Cyrus Hobbi ( :star :star :star :star)

Keith Lewis ( :star :star :star)

Keeon Virgile ( :star :star :star)

If I'm missing anybody let me know.

• Fire 1

Maybe the best class ever at NU. Sure are a lot of stars there.

perhaps a shot at the best in the "rivals era", but i'm pretty sure NU had at least one top ranked class and some very respected ones in the 80's.

while there is a kernel of truth to the myth of NU building it's dynasty mostly on the back of hardworking local boys and walk-ons (particularly in the early 90's classes that weren't highly regarded), it ignores the fact that NU has successfully recruited top prospects nationwide since the devaney era.

i am not too sure about lake... still think its gonna be a uphill with the PAC-10

also we got to be thinking about the poole kid... looks like a baller..... and his committment would definelty signal a strong prescence of our staff in OHIo which i think we will hit hard once we are in the big 10

Stars wise? Yes.

Need wise? Still need to fill some holes at DE, DT and LB.

Willie you really feel De is a need? NU took five DE last year and Allen is the only loss from this year.

I personally feel Walker Ashburn could easily be a Jared Tomich type player. Not well sought after, but has an extreme high motor. He was the Louisiana State Title Game MVP as a junior and played at a highly competitive high school, plus with his dad's job with the Saints he's been around the game so his knowledge should be great.

I think getting a DE would be nice but not overly a need. Besides next year almost could be the year of the DE in the recruiting world.

Agree about a DT and LB though. I think a TE would be very helpful as well.

Stars wise? Yes.

Need wise? Still need to fill some holes at DE, DT and LB.

Willie you really feel De is a need? NU took five DE last year and Allen is the only loss from this year.

I personally feel Walker Ashburn could easily be a Jared Tomich type player. Not well sought after, but has an extreme high motor. He was the Louisiana State Title Game MVP as a junior and played at a highly competitive high school, plus with his dad's job with the Saints he's been around the game so his knowledge should be great.

I think getting a DE would be nice but not overly a need. Besides next year almost could be the year of the DE in the recruiting world.

Agree about a DT and LB though. I think a TE would be very helpful as well.

think cotton was moved to OL and rome is a DT, so we actually took 3 DE last year. vestal should be one to watch, but i haven't heard anything about the other two. in any case, we need at least one DE in this class and preferably two. i would take a second DT and second LB before a second DE though (depending on their respective talent levels, of course).

I don't think that it hurts having a DE or two. Preferably 2 because if one doesn't pan out at DE we could move him to another position. On the flip side, since Eric Martin is moving to DE would that limit the amount we would take this year? Also, after watching NU get gashed for big yardage through the middle I would think we would want to bring in a couple highly touted DT's.

We don't lose any DT's this year and we only lose 1 DE this year in Pierre Allen. Last year we brought in 3 DE's (Vestal, Okuyemi, Ashburn) and 3 DT's (Cotton, Guy, Rome).

If you look at the roster it looks like this.

DE

Sr Pierre Allen

Sr Tyrone Fahie

Jr Kevin Thomsen

So Kenny Anderson

So Colin Mcdermott

So Connor Mcdermott

So Cameron Meredith

So Eric Martin

So Josh Williams

RFr Jason Ankrah

Fr Walker Ashburn

Fr Donovan Vestal

Fr Toby Okuyemi

Fr Andy Gdowski

Fr J.C. Moore

DT

Jr Jared Crick

Jr Faron Kingelhofer

Jr Terrence Moore

So Jutin Jackson

So Josh Molek

So Baker Steinkuhler

RFr Thaddeus Randle

Fr Jay Guy

Fr Chase Rome

Fr Jake Cotton

Fr Jeff Uher

When looking at these Rosters, Why exactly do we need to focus on the DE position? Defensive Tackle is MUCH thinner. We need 2 DT and 1 DE in this class. Now, you could make the argument that we are deep with young players at each position, but we really don't have any depth in the Sr's, and Jr's. This Roster proves we are REALLY REALLY young on the defensive line front. This explains our lack of dominance on the defensive line and Pelini's lack of frustration with it. He understands, let's be patient with him.