Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

People were yelling in my section in the NE corner (section 40, row 38).

But yeah, 90% of the people had gloves on and were covered in blankets. It gets cold just sitting there when it's 30 degrees outside.

But regardless of temperature, they were all amped up when we took the field. Everyone deflated after the first couple of posessions when we got stuffed by KANSAS.

I got up and yelled when the D was in, just because. And everyone was standing in our section.

I have to admit though, this was a horribly boring game, and the offense looked woeful. Add in cold temps, and yeah, it kind of sucked.

I know this is taboo for everyone, but if alcohol was sold IN the stadium, that place would be a madhouse.

This isn't taboo, its a fact. A fact that I would totally enjoy :wasted

People were yelling in my section in the NE corner (section 40, row 38).

But yeah, 90% of the people had gloves on and were covered in blankets. It gets cold just sitting there when it's 30 degrees outside.

But regardless of temperature, they were all amped up when we took the field. Everyone deflated after the first couple of posessions when we got stuffed by KANSAS.

I got up and yelled when the D was in, just because. And everyone was standing in our section.

I have to admit though, this was a horribly boring game, and the offense looked woeful. Add in cold temps, and yeah, it kind of sucked.

I know this is taboo for everyone, but if alcohol was sold IN the stadium, that place would be a madhouse.

This isn't taboo, its a fact. A fact that I would totally enjoy :wasted

All you gotta do is wait for the crowd to clear out a little to see the hundreds of mini liquor bottles littering the ground to know that there's plenty of alcohol being consumed in the stands. PLENTY.

While no one wants to admit it, NU has a higher percentage of blue hairs than anyone else in the nation. It's far more of a social event for them than a sweating bullets-fired up on 30 beers-ultra passionate-"win or die" SEC redneck screaming his lungs out is for them.

I remember going to the Baylor game in 1996 and being in the faculty section. I've honestly been to funerals with higher excitement than what that section had. Frankly is was disgusting as all they seemed to care about was going to get pizzas and sitting on their huge fat asses. Yeah, it was "Baylor" but I honestly never saw even "one" tenured prof yell, clap or even stand up the whole game. Damned if I know why they even go.

I think NU desperately needs younger blood for a better home field advantage. It's great we have fans that have attended for 10,000 consectutive years but somehow we need a changing of the gaurd.

+10000000000

I still don't think TO told the staff to take it easy on Gill. That doesn't seem like something you should tell the head coach of your football program. If anything, I'm sure he just said don't run up the score if we have a hefty lead. If Gill's team got beat by 40 so be it, as long as we weren't trying to embarrass them late in the game.

Considering that I just got done reading a thread that was devoted to an explanation of how a group of 4 fans were reprimanded by officers for standing up while the rest of the section was sitting--this doesn't surprise me...

My buddy's in-law's are loaded and they have the seats right outside the press box on the 50. Most games he makes us go inside because the blue hairs will get back to his in-law's if we're too loud or standing during the game. These are some of the best seats I've ever had and we can get them for any game. Unfortunately we haven't used them in over-a-year because I don't want to deal with watching my 'skers and worrying about who's talking (or texting) behind my back...

I don't think it was the blue-hairs that were to blame for the quiet crowd in this game. Most of the older folks who sit around our seats weren't there this week. It was the first cold game, it was a terrible opponent, and we were supposed to blow them out. The tailgates were all half empty, and frankly I think about half the older crowd didn't even show up. Not sure who took their seats, but they weren't all old and they weren't terribly loud.

Again, the burden for crowd noise rests on the team, not the fans. The ONLY difference between the Missouri crowd and the Kansas crowd was the play on the field. I think the crowd takes zero responsibility for this.

The student section, in the mid-late 90's, was great and just like back then it was all frat and sorority "idiots." Come on man, who do you think makes the most noise at the games? Its the drunk frat guys!

As far as the girls go, lets face it, they are their usually because its a social event for them.

I don't want to sit by guys that think they know everything about football. I want to sit by guys that are there to have fun, scream, complain, argue about calls and clap. The only girls I want to see there are hot ones that are out to have a good time.

As a girl who spends most of her time reading this board or arguing football with her boyfriend, I can tell you that nothing annoys me more than the drunk sorority girls who go to the games just to get laid with a drunk frat boy. I'm sure they're fun to look at. Isn't that what cheerleaders are for, though? I don't wanna come off as a "feminazi" but the whole beer, football, chicks thing is getting kind of old. If you have to be super drunk and have boobs waved in your face in order to enjoy a football game, one would question your true motives for being at the game at all.

Yeah, go to the game, have fun, have a few drinks, cheer for your team. If you want to sit and be quiet then go to a sports bar and/or library. If you want to get drunk and look at boobs go to a strip joint and/or frat party.

Just sayin'.

The student section, in the mid-late 90's, was great and just like back then it was all frat and sorority "idiots." Come on man, who do you think makes the most noise at the games? Its the drunk frat guys!

As far as the girls go, lets face it, they are their usually because its a social event for them.

I don't want to sit by guys that think they know everything about football. I want to sit by guys that are there to have fun, scream, complain, argue about calls and clap. The only girls I want to see there are hot ones that are out to have a good time.

As a girl who spends most of her time reading this board or arguing football with her boyfriend, I can tell you that nothing annoys me more than the drunk sorority girls who go to the games just to get laid with a drunk frat boy. I'm sure they're fun to look at. Isn't that what cheerleaders are for, though? I don't wanna come off as a "feminazi" but the whole beer, football, chicks thing is getting kind of old. If you have to be super drunk and have boobs waved in your face in order to enjoy a football game, one would question your true motives for being at the game at all.

Yeah, go to the game, have fun, have a few drinks, cheer for your team. If you want to sit and be quiet then go to a sports bar and/or library. If you want to get drunk and look at boobs go to a strip joint and/or frat party.

Just sayin'.

I don't want to totally derail this thread, but you're talking to a bunch of guys. No, it's not OK to objectify women and 99% of the guys out there are going to treat you with respect, but 99% of the guys out there are also hard-wired to look at girls. It's in our genes, responsible for the propagation of the species and all that jazz. Asking men to not look at women is like asking women to stop breathing. It's inherent to what we are.

Most of us do it respectfully, but you cannot be upset when a guy on a message board says something about looking at the pretty girls. Your boyfriend/husband, dad, brother, uncle, cousin, best guy pal - they all do it. It's not demeaning, it's nature.

I don't want to totally derail this thread, but you're talking to a bunch of guys. No, it's not OK to objectify women and 99% of the guys out there are going to treat you with respect, but 99% of the guys out there are also hard-wired to look at girls. It's in our genes, responsible for the propagation of the species and all that jazz. Asking men to not look at women is like asking women to stop breathing. It's inherent to what we are.

Most of us do it respectfully, but you cannot be upset when a guy on a message board says something about looking at the pretty girls. Your boyfriend/husband, dad, brother, uncle, cousin, best guy pal - they all do it. It's not demeaning, it's nature.

I don't want to continue the derailment of this thread, so I'll just say this: Believe me, I understand that guys are hard-wired that way and they're gonna do it. That's why I offered up the cheerleader solution :D I just felt that it needed pointing out that some of us are more inclined to say "C'mon Niles, catch the d*mn ball!" than to say "Like, is Taylor Martinez a blackshirt? I am sooo wasted. What are you doing later?"

I'm not one to get pissed when men objectify women because I know it happens. But to say all girls see the game as a "social event" is something I gotta speak up about. Some of us do know what we're talking about..not all, but some :)

</rant>

I don't think it was the blue-hairs that were to blame for the quiet crowd in this game. Most of the older folks who sit around our seats weren't there this week. It was the first cold game, it was a terrible opponent, and we were supposed to blow them out. The tailgates were all half empty, and frankly I think about half the older crowd didn't even show up. Not sure who took their seats, but they weren't all old and they weren't terribly loud.

Again, the burden for crowd noise rests on the team, not the fans. The ONLY difference between the Missouri crowd and the Kansas crowd was the play on the field. I think the crowd takes zero responsibility for this.

Well, that and the fact that Missouri was undefeated and Kansas is 3-7.

I thought our section was pretty loud most of the nite. even though we got in some trouble, we were screaming and yelling and having fun. the closer you get to the field the louder it gets. we are not that close.

i will contend, as i have for about 5 years, that although the giant screens and and lights and billboards add to the overall experience, it does take away a little bit of the interaction of the fans just rising up and starting the yelling and screaming and chants and stuff.

we had a pretty nice husker power going in our section and then it just gets DROWNED out by an annoucenent about which helmet has the apple under it.

btw, it's funny Bo calls out the fans when he says, "I don't care about the 105 NU-KU streak ending"

why should we care then?

I was going to say that, i was a little miffed when i heard that on the post game. OK Bo we get it, your a straight edged guy, but showing a little respect towards your opponent and a little compassion for the game and the long standing series is not going to hurt. Yes I think the media deserves some of what they get from Bo, but does he need to be a butthead about everything they ask him?