Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

Again, you have the cart before the horse. The team isn't there to be entertained by the fans. The fans are there to be entertained by the team. If the team performs poorly, the fans cannot be expected to cheer loudly. It doesn't work that way anywhere. If Kobe plays bad, LA fans leave.

To answer your points:

(1) Tell me the last time you were super-excited to read the phone book. Never? Then don't chastise fans who don't go apesh#t over a team playing significantly below their talent level.

(2) I wasn't cold.

(3) The fans were cheering quite loudly for the defense. The fans don't typically cheer for the defense when the offense is on the field, though. Your point here makes no sense.

(4) (5) & (6) No personal experience with any of these. Can't comment.

(7) If our team relies on crowd noise to make them play well, we have a terrible team. This is a ridiculous assertion - that the team can't play well if the crowd isn't loud.

(8) Perhaps your most incorrect point. That $50 the fan paid for their ticket in this economy most certainly gives them the right to complain. People have a right to send their $12 pasta dish back at the restaurant if it's not done properly. They have a right to expect that if they're paying top dollar for a meal, that it's a good meal. If they're paying top dollar for a football ticket, they have a reasonable expectation that the team will give them their money's worth. It is NOT incumbent on the diner to cheer on the chef so he can make a proper steak; the chef is there to cook, and he'd better damned well cook and do it right or he's going to get canned. Same goes for a football player being watched by fans who pay more for those tickets than they'll pay for any other sports ticket in Nebraska. You charge me top dollar, you play top-notch. No excuses.

Because our fans "don't cheer loud enough" doesn't make them bad fans. It means they have nothing to cheer about.

I hate how the team plays like crap and the fans get thrown under the bus for it, by the coach and other fans. Give me a break.

Haha, thanks for responding. I was mostly trying to rebut reasons/excuses people have given. I also wasn't expecting people to totally agree. I see your points, and acknowledge that fans don't make noise during offensive series, but was speaking more generally about carryover from a defensive series, and the energy in the stadium if that makes any more sense.

I guess I was trying to be provocative and in retrospect, might have gone a bit overboard with my thoughts, but I stand by the idea that if people make a more concentrated effort to stand and make noise, it could cause a chain reaction of sorts that would make Memorial Stadium a more enjoyable/intimidating place to see a game regardless of the opponent and performance of the team.

I apologize if my post was offensive, as I see see how it might be construed as disrespectful to some, but its primary purpose is to make a point I do believe in.

good counterpoints knapplc, I see what you are saying about the money, although I think it holds truer in professional sports where the players are being paid. I realize the guys have scholarships, but it doesn't seem completely the same to me. I have a little different perspective on college sports I guess, but your point is well taken.

With the way our crowd has been in a lot of games this year at home and Bo recently making comments about our crowd being silent what are some ways that the we as fans or the University can do to get the crowd more involved in the game?

I have a few suggestions that the University should look into:

•  
  • I know that Huskervision plays Stand up and Shout during crucial moments of the game but do they do it enough? I dont think they do it enough nor do I think they find any other creative ways to get our crowd involved in the game. Maybe they should have a sound level meter on the Jumbotron that way the crowd sees it and then they can react to it by screaming and yelling raising the sound level on the meter. Sometimes I think that they do more advertising than they do at getting the crowd more involved into game.
  • Cheerleaders. Cheerleaders are there to get the crowd involved in the game with their chants and they do that well before the Tunnel Walk with the Husker Power chant. I think the Cheerleaders should do this chant during timeouts or commercial breaks. The Husker Power chant is by my favorite chant because to me its really intimidating to hear one side of the stadium yell out Husker and then to other side yell out Power and getting 80,000+ to do this should get into the heads of the opposing team while pumping up our players when they head back out onto the field. Lets say youre at home watching the game and after all the commercials are done and they come back to the game you can actually hear the HUSKER POWER chant on your TV speakers while the TV announcers are commentating. How awesome would that be?

Any other suggestions or ideas.

EDIT: This threads title has been edited I don't know how many times.....guess thats what happens when I work graveyards....the body is functioning but the mind isn't.

• Fire 1

We should have Bo go out to midfield before the coin toss and pick out a random opposing fan in the crowd. Then, he would defeat them in some sort of physical confrontation.

In all seriousness, we don't need to be hostile, we just need to be disruptive. Remember when Blaine Gabbert used all 3 second half timeouts fairly early in the 3rd quarter this year? You better believe the crowd had something to do with that. I think we do a pretty good job of rising to the occasion. Kansas this year was not an occasion that needed to be risen to.

Science, science, science.

Hire an Acoustics Engineer to analyze our stadium design and make whatever necessary recommendations to increase the noise level. Afterall, Penn State has recently done acoustics research for Beaver Stadium and will reassign students to a different section starting in 2011 to make it even louder for opposing QB's than before.

You can read about it here.