Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

It is getting a little overboard on this, yes he said it, but I have said this before, I think he says a lot of stuff because of his obvious dislike of the media. I like Bo but he has to get a grip on his attitude one of these days...

From Booger to Buckwheat. Not sure I get the progression, but my Spidey Senses tell me it has something to do with the letter B.

av-4479.jpeg

80's comedy figures is all, nothing in particular to the letter B. might bring back Chunk from the Goonies sometime...

Everytime I see a thread like this I can't help but think of the Virginia Tech night game a few weeks ago. At one point EVERYBODY was bouncing and shouting and the stadium was literally rocking. This is far from what happens in Lincoln, crowd is weak. We can still be rowdy and show respect at the same time.

It would be interesting to know how much ticket prices (season and actual price paid for single games) have gone up since the early / mid 90's. I mention that because the current prices seem to make it prohibitively expensive for younger adults (who tend to be louder) to get to games. I had great tickets for the SDSU and Idaho games in the east side but it was like being at a nursing home. Way up in the north end zone at the Missouri game it was a lot louder and crazier but that's like half a mile away from the field!

I think you're probably onto something. There used to be several season ticket holders from around here, but recently they haven't been giving them up. It has become cost prohibitive they say to continue to donate more and more each year just to assure they get them. They also claim that it has become too commercialized for their taste. Many have said it feels more and more like going to a Broncos game than a Husker game. It changed from family oriented to all about money. I'd venture to guess if ticket prices got knocked down a peg or two, then the louder more excited fans would attend.

I'm on east balcony about the 35 yard line 2nd row and i don't think it could be any worse, i constantly get yelled at to sit down and told that they will text security, i cant stand my seats, it seems like the whole rest of the stadium stands up during big plays except us, and when a big group of us stand up everyone gets pissed and then has to stand up just to see, every other stadium it seems like on tv gets the ENTIRE crowd jacked up and they are all jumping around and loud as hell, i think im going to transfer from UNL to Penn State

let's not forget Bo just came here from a team in the SEC who won a national championship and whose stadium LITERALLY registered on the richter scale.

at the texass game this year, I took it personal when the huge TU contingency in the upper north endzone was cheering and cheering louder than just about the rest of the north stadium combined. they had chants, group sayings, hand signals, and hollers throughout the whole game. most fans just looked back up at them and were like, "wow, those people sure do cheer a lot."

we NEED to step it up. PERIOD.

Everytime I see a thread like this I can't help but think of the Virginia Tech night game a few weeks ago. At one point EVERYBODY was bouncing and shouting and the stadium was literally rocking. This is far from what happens in Lincoln, crowd is weak. We can still be rowdy and show respect at the same time.

To be fair, Nebraska has been good A LOT longer than VA Tech. In 30 years they'll have a bunch of old people filling their stadium too.

Personally, I've never really found our stadium noise 'hostile' or intimidating. I think the reason this stadium was so intimidating years ago was because of the great teams that played for Nebraska and the fact that they rarely lost inside the walls of the stadium.

I'm on east balcony about the 35 yard line 2nd row and i don't think it could be any worse, i constantly get yelled at to sit down and told that they will text security, i cant stand my seats, it seems like the whole rest of the stadium stands up during big plays except us, and when a big group of us stand up everyone gets pissed and then has to stand up just to see, every other stadium it seems like on tv gets the ENTIRE crowd jacked up and they are all jumping around and loud as hell, i think im going to transfer from UNL to Penn State

That's unfortunate the people act like that up there. The view on that balcony is perfect, whether sitting or standing, especially for you since you're in the 2nd row. But that should never warrant harrassment from people behind you. Totally ridiculous and unnecessary IMO.

I mean who do you think you are? A Husker fan at Memorial Stadium?

Personally, I've never really found our stadium noise 'hostile' or intimidating. I think the reason this stadium was so intimidating years ago was because of the great teams that played for Nebraska and the fact that they rarely lost inside the walls of the stadium.

Right on, Enhance 89. Those teams knew how to take care of business no matter who they faced in Memorial Stadium. That was much more a mindset of the team, which ultimately is what matters most since the players are the ones playing the game.

These were my thoughts for the most part, as well.

We are no death valley. We can be loud when we want to be, however.

My overall point still stands. After the beginning of the game, the TEAM is responsible for the crowd noise, not the fans. Memorial Stadium, imho, was never an intimidating place just because of the fans. It was intimidating because the TEAMS were so good when they played at home. Memorial Stadium would have been rocking against SDSU and against Kansas if the overall team had performed better and not just the defense.

Special Teams and Offense played bad, and you can't expect the crowd to back up shoddy performances like they put on. Totally unrealistic.

What happened - really? Two words - BILL CALLAHAN. Thats what happened. Lets not forget we all knew it would take time to get the tradition built back up - that includes the fans tradition too.

This being said - It is difficult when you as a fan seemed more amped up than the players - see TEXAS in 2010. Also see SDSU and KU 2010.

Whether the team is great or not, whether they're performing or not, the crowd noise is still a result of the CROWD. The players don't make crowd noise.

Fans have a choice. You can either be loud, or not, it has nothing to do with the team. So if you CHOOSE not to be loud, then when a coach comes along after the game and says it wasn't loud, don't sit around blaming the team. You have a voice, use it or don't use it at the game, but stop blaming the team. They have nothing to do with your ability to use your own larynx.

What happened - really? Two words - BILL CALLAHAN. Thats what happened. Lets not forget we all knew it would take time to get the tradition built back up - that includes the fans tradition too.

This being said - It is difficult when you as a fan seemed more amped up than the players - see TEXAS in 2010. Also see SDSU and KU 2010.

Here's another thing. We often measure players' performance in terms of "Were they amped up enough? Were they motivated?" I think Nebraska has gone into every game this year minus SDSU ready to go and motivated. However, executing football is about 10000x more complex than that, and since most fans don't understand why, they boil a slow start down to something stupid like, "Well they just didn't come out with energy." Even though the real problem was probably that the other team came out with a new look we hadn't seen before, and it took a couple series to adjust to it.

Fans' performance at games is not as complex as executing football. Fans have one job to do - be loud. Fans don't have to audible out of a bad play when the defense does something different, they don't have to read gaps on brand new blocking schemes that the opposing offense brings out. All fans have to do is take a deep breath in, and then scream. And there is NOTHING stopping them from doing just that.

Get the student sections as close to the field as possible!!!!! The student section is yelling all game long and that would help if half the section wasnt up in the nose bleeds!! I hate looking at the fans directly in the south endzone sitting down all game except for maybe 10 times. Give the students the seats close to the field and that solves the crowd noise problem.