Nebraska not out of the Title hunt

ADS

Here's how the Big 12 looks in this week's BCS standings:

8. Nebraska

10. Oklahoma State

14. Oklahoma

15. Missouri

19. Texas A&M

Only the top 25 carry a ranking of course, but a few other Big 12 teams made appearances in the computers, and show up in the standings.

29. Kansas State

35. Baylor

Obviously the "8" next to Nebraska doesn't scream national title contender, but if there's some mayhem at the top in the season's final few weeks, Nebraska could sneak up the standings. The Huskers are aided by Texas A&M's rise, and would obviously get a nice boost from a road win in College Station. Texas A&M is 16th in the computers. Nebraska, by the way, is eighth.

If Nebraska reaches the title game, they'll almost certainly play a top 10 team, and if Oklahoma State keeps winning alongside the chaos that could push the Huskers higher, both teams would be near the top five. Oklahoma State also is tied for sixth in the computers with Boise State. Don't expect that to drop much, and a win would give Nebraska an obvious boost. The Huskers lone loss, at home to tanking Texas, will definitely hurt them with voters, and again, all of this requires lots of madness at the top, but Nebraska is in position for a very strong finish to the season. One-loss teams like Stanford and LSU will be tough to hop, but voters might give Nebraska the edge considering that both could finish with one loss and not even win their division (LSU) or conference (Stanford). Granted, all that will require a healthy Taylor Martinez, otherwise this could all be moot.

I suppose most of this also applies to Oklahoma State, who could finish with two top 10 teams in Oklahoma and Nebraska, but considering Nebraska already won once in Stillwater, the Huskers would likely be favored in a rematch in Dallas.

My main point: Want to impress voters? Do it with big signature wins late in the season with lots of eyes watching. Playing in primetime and winning, especially if any team is able to win by a big number, could accomplish that

Article

I think Nebraska's chances evaporated when Auburn and TCU avoided the upsets last weekend.

That and our inability to bury teams like ISU and KU. Those games being close certainly do not help us.

I find it hard to believe if those games were blow-outs, it would have made a difference.

Sorry, with one loss, we're not going to jump any undefeated team. Simple as that.

I think Nebraska's chances evaporated when Auburn and TCU avoided the upsets last weekend.

That and our inability to bury teams like ISU and KU. Those games being close certainly do not help us.

I find it hard to believe if those games were blow-outs, it would have made a difference.

Sorry, with one loss, we're not going to jump any undefeated team. Simple as that.

Ubben never said we'd jump a one loss team-he's saying we could put ourselves in good position to be THE one loss team to go should it come down to that.

He said there would have to be madness, but I could see one possible of the following Auburn loss to bama, oregon loss to oregon state, or boise loss to Nevada. All three would have to happen for this to be possible I just cant see it happening. I also think it is very unlikely that we jump the other one loss teams.

We could jump them because we have a conference championship game and the pac/big 10 do not. This gives us the edge. You also have to pick your poison-do we want to play a highly ranked ok st (it's very hard to beat a team twice in one year), or do we want Oklahoma to win out and it be the matchup we've all been praying for, but potentially ending any MNC dreams that MIGHT exist should chaos occur...hmmm...

Have they taken out of the formula that you have to win your conference in order to play for the NC? If it's still in there, Auburn can't play for the NC if they get beat by South Carolina in the SEC Championship. I believe the BCS will do everything within their power to keep Boise State and TCU out of the title game.

We've beaten two semi-highly ranked teams, before this Saturday that number was three until kansas state fell out (if they win two more they'll certainly be back up there). If we beat A&M and then either OU or OSU in the title game, four wins over top 25 teams (three of them most likely being over top 15 teams) is as good of a resume as any, for one loss teams, that is.

After seeing some of Boise and TCU's signature wins diminish in value a bit I'm on the fence as to whether they deserve a shot over one loss teams if Oregon or Auburn loses. That one loss team isn't us though because we lost to an awful Texas team at home. I will be perfectly satisfied taking a trip to Phoenix in January!

We all to some extent have our conspiracy theories. Most here believe the Big 12 ref's are out to screw us out of the Big 12 title. My biggest conspiracy theory this year has to do with the NCAA and Auburn. I believe the biggest reason they haven't delivered the one two knockout to Auburn stems from the fact that they're scared $hitless about having to put Boise State or TCU in the title game.

We all to some extent have our conspiracy theories. Most here believe the Big 12 ref's are out to screw us out of the Big 12 title. My biggest conspiracy theory this year has to do with the NCAA and Auburn. I believe the biggest reason they haven't delivered the one two knockout to Auburn stems from the fact that they're scared $hitless about having to put Boise State or TCU in the title game.

Yeah, Auburn shouldn't be allowed to finish the season. Talk about sleazy...

Have they taken out of the formula that you have to win your conference in order to play for the NC? If it's still in there, Auburn can't play for the NC if they get beat by South Carolina in the SEC Championship.

It has never, ever been in the formula. Every week somebody pulls this out, with no backing. The weekend before last, somebody claimed that come Monday, he would post his proof. And...nothing.

And it makes no sense IMO. The BCS is based on all games, why would you have an addition rule that ignores the non-conference games? And why would the Big 12, SEC, and ACC allow it when they can only have one champion, while other conferences can have multiple?

I believe the BCS will do everything within their power to keep Boise State and TCU out of the title game.

The "BCS" in this case consists of a set of computer programs that I doubt will be re-programmed to conspire against Boise and TCU; the coaches poll, of which 26 out of 59 voters are from non-AQ conferences; and the Harris poll, with 114 members spread throughout the country. I can't easily tell the affiliation or background of those voters, but it includes people like Tommie Frazier, Zach Weigert, and retired general Pete Dawkins. I doubt it's easily corruptible.