When we move to the Big Ten next year

husker_99

I expect 2-4 losses to be the normal season for us. The Big 12 had no real threats besides OU and Tx. The rest of the former Big 8 members we beat them so long they were hardly a threat. every now and then they may beat us but going into a conference where we hardly play the teams is a different story. I'm not saying we won't be just as good cause i expect us to be but besides a handful of teams the rest aren't automatic W's. This year i didn't think we would lose to Washington, Ok St, or Missouri. I was surprised with how we struggled against Iowa St and Kansas. It's not a bad thing we are moving just that i think coasting through the league won't happen like it does now.

Well I know you will have 1 loss every year since you play us (Iowa) chuckleshuffle

On second thought - your name starts with an N just like Northwestern... :steam

I am going to go out on a limb and predict your first Big 10 title and trip to the Rose Bowl will be in 3 years when Martinez is a senior. Gives you a couple of years to make your first road trips to all of the stadiums and get a feel for your new conference (as well as have Wisky and tOSU be replaced by Illinois and Purdue on your schedule)

I am EXTREMELY worried about Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Ohio State and Iowa are balanced with good run games, Wisconsin has a beast offensive line and great running game, and that is our weakness. Not to mention Ohio State has Pryor for another year I'm sure, and with us losing SO MUCH in the secondary, I think those are the games we will have problems with. Hopefully the secondary can plug and replace, linebacker play a little bigger and can stuff the run, and then line HAS to get pressure and get bigger, otherwise those are the games I think we lose. Maybe not Iowa, but definitely Ohio State and Wisconsin scare me the most.

It kind of feels that since we move to the Big 10 it became some kind of superconference in some peoples eyes. I don't know if that's because moving forced people to take a closer look at the conference and dismiss some old biases, or something else. I'll let you all figure that out.

:yeah

:snacks:

It kind of feels that since we move to the Big 10 it became some kind of superconference in some peoples eyes. I don't know if that's because moving forced people to take a closer look at the conference and dismiss some old biases, or something else. I'll let you all figure that out.

I've noticed this, too. It's weird how you see threads completely disrespecting the Big 10, then on the same page you see threads like this concerned with how we'll do.

Big 10 Conf. Overall

Michigan State 5-1 9-1 Threat Missouri > Michigan State

Wisconsin 5-1 9-1 Threat Okie State > Wisconsin

Ohio State 5-1 9-1 Threat both at best OU > Ohio State

Iowa 4-2 7-3 No Threat at Arizona L 27-34

Penn State 3-3 6-4 No Threat(This year) at Alabama L 3-24

Michigan 3-3 7-3 No Threat

Northwestern 3-3 7-3 No Threat

Illinois 3-4 5-5 No Threat Missouri L 23-13 - Victories over Indiana Purdue and Penn State

Purdue 2-4 4-6 No Threat

Minnesota 1-6 2-9 No Threat

Indiana 0-6 4-6 No Threat

I personally think we are leaving the better football conference, of course everything is relative to these last few years.

A lot of you are wondering how we will adjust to the big 10 conference, but I think the question should be - How is the Big10 going to adjust to the Corn Huskers.

Looking at recruiting classes, which I don't hold a lot of weight in, Ohio State is the only one pushing our caliber of athletes, this does mean SOMETHING, but not everything. Within top 25 classes of recruits per rivals.com: Big 12 has 5(with us) and Big 10 has 2- OSU and MICH ST(25).

I will take speed over size any day of the week ex: Old Miami speed vs Nebraska Size

I am not too worried about a 4 loss year, I only see Ohio State pushing us- twice a year at times- Which will allow us to either drop one during the season and win the CCG and still go to the national title game(still relative to that year) or win both, or lose in the CCG or of course drop both.

well ya, We are in the big 12 North. Our new big 10 division is a superconference compared to the north. I get what you mean though, I think its just because its a novel thing. we don't know the teams as well as teams in the big 8/12 and have little history with them which ends up making them seem a lot stronger.

Big 10 Conf. Overall

Michigan State 5-1 9-1 Threat Missouri > Michigan State

Wisconsin 5-1 9-1 Threat Okie State > Wisconsin

Ohio State 5-1 9-1 Threat both at best OU > Ohio State

Iowa 4-2 7-3 No Threat at Arizona L 27-34

Penn State 3-3 6-4 No Threat(This year) at Alabama L 3-24

Michigan 3-3 7-3 No Threat

Northwestern 3-3 7-3 No Threat

Illinois 3-4 5-5 No Threat Missouri L 23-13 - Victories over Indiana Purdue and Penn State

Purdue 2-4 4-6 No Threat

Minnesota 1-6 2-9 No Threat

Indiana 0-6 4-6 No Threat

I personally think we are leaving the better football conference, of course everything is relative to these last few years.

A lot of you are wondering how we will adjust to the big 10 conference, but I think the question should be - How is the Big10 going to adjust to the Corn Huskers.

Looking at recruiting classes, which I don't hold a lot of weight in, Ohio State is the only one pushing our caliber of athletes, this does mean SOMETHING, but not everything.

I will take speed over size any day of the week ex: Old Miami speed vs Nebraska Size

I am not too worried about a 4 loss year, I only see Ohio State pushing us- twice a year at times- Which will allow us to either drop one during the season and win the CCG and still go to a title game(still relative to that year) or win both, or lose in the CCG.

Awful Texas team- 13-20

South Dakota State- 17-3

Iowa State- 31-30 OT

Kansas- 20-3

Iowa State 09- 9-7

No game is ever a gimmee, we play down to competetion.

And the teams in the Big Ten don't play down to the level of their competition? Come on! Iowa has made a living doing it the past several years.

We are leaving the better football conference.

The Big Ten is nothing more than a watered down Big Twelve with more prestige.

I Don't think that the B10 is any better then the Big12. I Don't see it being much harder evan though we have to go through a gauntlet of games next year,it might be hard for the first 2 years though since we wont have Indiana,purdue,Illinois, on our schedule.

Well I know you will have 1 loss every year since you play us (Iowa) chuckleshuffle

On second thought - your name starts with an N just like Northwestern... :steam

I am going to go out on a limb and predict your first Big 10 title and trip to the Rose Bowl will be in 3 years when Martinez is a senior. Gives you a couple of years to make your first road trips to all of the stadiums and get a feel for your new conference (as well as have Wisky and tOSU be replaced by Illinois and Purdue on your schedule)

While I totally disagree with your first statement (imagine that), I'd say your prediction of our 1st Big 10 title in 3 years is quite logical. I know several HB members would argue that we'll get the conference title in either or both of our 1st 2 years, but I tend to think we'll really hit our stride in year 3.

2-4 losses a season would be a terrible year!! All of a sudden people are talking about how we are going to get destroyed in the Big 10 but I do not see it. Ya the competition is going to be tougher, but we have a very good football team and we are going to be get even better the next couple years. Now the first year might be tough having to play at Wisconsin, at Michigan, and at Penn State, but realistically we should beat every one of those teams. Only the first year could I see us losing a MAX 2 games. Second year we will be in Championship game for sure, and probably a 50% chance next year. We will be fine, people just need to calm down a little bit and recognize how good of a team we are and will be!!

The Big 10 may be worse than the Big 12 NOW, but it wasn't always, and it won't always be. Coaching changes and recruiting cycles all affect overall conference strength. The Big 12 is definitely down right now, with new coaches at Kansas State, Texas Tech and Kansas, Texas being down, the instability we've seen with not just bad but horrific leadership in Beebe, and the move by Texas to start their own TV network which will only further separate the Haves from the Have-Nots. The Big 12 is NOT the Big 8, and should not be confused with it in any way.

Compare that to coaching changes coming at Minnesota and (possibly) Michigan, but an otherwise largely stable conference with decades of solidity, mutual respect and cooperation and a definite lack of a Texas-like ego running things, the CLEAR superiority of Jim Delaney over Dan Beebe, the CIC and the grant monies that go with it, and a history of proven athletics, I cannot fathom why anyone is looking at the Big 12 with longing.

The Big 10 is WAY more stable, WAY more financially beneficial in the short- and long-term, WAY more democratic, WAY more prestigious and WAY more organized than the Big 12.

This is a slam dunk. Like I said earlier, there isn't a school in the Big 12 who wouldn't jump at the chance Nebraska was offered. That would be snapped up immediately by anyone. We're just the lucky ones to get the offer.