Thanks, Watson...

Wats cannot develop his players, and at some point he is going to have to fall on his sword. The play of his players is HIS responsibility. If they are not executing on gameday, then they are not executing in practice.

The talent development in the offense has been piss poor (excluding the TE's). The best wide receiver we have, McNeil, only has 13 completions. If a defense stops our big play we are screwed. The development of the QB's is abysmal. Washington, Lee, and Green have not been developed to their potential.

The offense cost us a BCS game last year, and potenitally cost us BCS Championship game this year. Please Bo realize we need to go in a different direction.

Just for clarity, I am not trying to bash TO. 2010 Huskers are 9-2 with a solid shot at winning the Big 12 Championship. In the two biggest wins of the season the offense was the hightlight (Wash and Ok St). In 4 games the offense has struggled. SDSU (freak deal), Texas (Freshman QB against the most speed he had seen. No way to know how Taylor would respond until the game was being played. He could not get his reads made quick enough to exploit them, oh and the drops. with what happened I am sure they would have schemed different), Kansas(injured QB and honestly they did plenty to win the game), Texas A and M (this would have been a very tough game to call plays because bonehead mistakes put the offense in bad positions). To me it seems like it is a matter of consistency and growth. Just like it was for TO. Think about if TO leaves after the 91 season what is his legacy? Husker fans should be the most patient fans on the planet because that lesson was taught by TO.

Also I would throw a name in for a new OC if Wats were to leave: Terry Allen Mo St Head Coach. He has not found the success he had when he coached Kurt Warner, but that guy can scheme.

Wats cannot develop his players, and at some point he is going to have to fall on his sword. The play of his players is HIS responsibility. If they are not executing on gameday, then they are not executing in practice.

The talent development in the offense has been piss poor (excluding the TE's). The best wide receiver we have, McNeil, only has 13 completions. If a defense stops our big play we are screwed. The development of the QB's is abysmal. Washington, Lee, and Green have not been developed to their potential.

The offense cost us a BCS game last year, and potenitally cost us BCS Championship game this year. Please Bo realize we need to go in a different direction.

He developed Helu pretty well, Burkhead, Kyler, and Cotten all seem to be developing nicely as well.

The legend of TO (at least on this board)seems to be bigger than his reality. Except for three yrs his teams were pretty much exactly like this years team. Even those 3 yrs of no losses they had some nail biters and some lackluster victories. TO never had to deal with digging a team out of the basement. His most successful years were the result of two decades of building a foundation, taking some lumps and continuing to grind on. Nebraska football will only get back to an undefeated season with consistency. Firing very capable staff is not going to bring in a championship football team.

Unless you can name better alternatives to each position you would like to fire, and give a breakdown explaining how they would do better, then the fire them all pettiness should stop.

I for one I am extremly thankful and happy to be 9-2 right now. Win or lose this has been a great, exciting, competitive season.

Go Huskers!!

I'm not sure what reality we're talking about here? But in TO's twenty fives years can you give me even "one" of his years as offensively inept as 2009? Well?

Lastly, with this year not even over we've been held to zero offensive TDs twice. How many times did that happen to TO's offense in a season?I think we're comparing a Dodge Viper to a VW.

happened in the73-74 season we lost to mizzou 13-12 and to OU 27-0

happened in the 81-82 season we beat mizzou 6-0 and lost to clemson 22-15

happened in the 91-92 season we beat arizona stae 18-9 and lost to miami 22-0

those are just game where no touchdowns were scored. There were several games with only 7 or 13 points and I dont have the time or the energy to research if they were offensive touchdowns or not. There were also several other games that Osborne offenses were held touchdownless, but those are the cases of two games in a season without a touchdown.

Look at who those teams were. Mizzou, OU, Clemson, Arizona St. Miami. Watson is struggling against South Dakota State, Iowa State and Kansas. I don't think your argument holds any validity. And if you want to see the difference, watch how disciplined Osborne's teams were compared to Watson's.

The legend of TO (at least on this board)seems to be bigger than his reality. Except for three yrs his teams were pretty much exactly like this years team. Even those 3 yrs of no losses they had some nail biters and some lackluster victories. TO never had to deal with digging a team out of the basement. His most successful years were the result of two decades of building a foundation, taking some lumps and continuing to grind on. Nebraska football will only get back to an undefeated season with consistency. Firing very capable staff is not going to bring in a championship football team.

Unless you can name better alternatives to each position you would like to fire, and give a breakdown explaining how they would do better, then the fire them all pettiness should stop.

I for one I am extremly thankful and happy to be 9-2 right now. Win or lose this has been a great, exciting, competitive season.

Go Huskers!!

I'm not sure what reality we're talking about here? But in TO's twenty fives years can you give me even "one" of his years as offensively inept as 2009? Well?

Lastly, with this year not even over we've been held to zero offensive TDs twice. How many times did that happen to TO's offense in a season?I think we're comparing a Dodge Viper to a VW.

happened in the73-74 season we lost to mizzou 13-12 and to OU 27-0

happened in the 81-82 season we beat mizzou 6-0 and lost to clemson 22-15

happened in the 91-92 season we beat arizona stae 18-9 and lost to miami 22-0

those are just game where no touchdowns were scored. There were several games with only 7 or 13 points and I dont have the time or the energy to research if they were offensive touchdowns or not. There were also several other games that Osborne offenses were held touchdownless, but those are the cases of two games in a season without a touchdown.

Look at who those teams were. Mizzou, OU, Clemson, Arizona St. Miami. Watson is struggling against South Dakota State, Iowa State and Kansas. I don't think your argument holds any validity. And if you want to see the difference, watch how disciplined Osborne's teams were compared to Watson's.

First off I wasn't making the arguement, I was answering the question. Secondly the whole point of the arguement is Watsons O not showing up in big games, based on those stats it happned to Osborne aswell. And I can only remember one time that TO was forced to play his third string QB, and Terman did not have to play two weeks after a concussion. Again I'm not trying to make the arguement that Watson is in the same league as TO. (there are probably only about 5 in the nation who are) Just stating that adversity strkies everybody no matter how good of football mind you have. As long as his game plans are putting a team in a postion to win than he is doing his job.

To reiterate: QB development has actually been pretty impressive...from Ganz's jump in Year 3, to his even bigger jump in Year 4 (both with Watson as OC)...then Lee, who faded last year but he had a throwing arm injury and has been known to be a smart player making all the right reads...then Taylor, talk about impressive, getting some passing development there.

If I was Joe Ganz I would kick anyone in the nuts that said they developed me. He was left to rot on the bench so that one guy could stink out loud. By the way, the offense was horrid too! He was only put in because they had to.

The one thing I will give him credit for is that unlike Cam Newton's dad, Watson was able to use Ganz to get a solid gig.

Oh please. Ganz loves Watson and would I'm sure give a ton of credit to him for his development. Ganz would also be the first person to say that he was a different guy in his last 2 years than in his first 3.

It is an absolute myth that Ganz was left on the bench to rot. Redshirt, #3 QB as RFR, #2 QB as RSo, and lost a tight battle for a starter as a junior.

Interesting Take

With the downturn of the economy I pretty much don't have to do interviews anymore. Just a few years ago I was doing 30-60 a year. I had always given preference to those that could provide specific examples, documentation, project data and/or certification of their leadership and skills. I can honestly say that I have never had a candidate tell me to 'Ask Joe, he use to work for me...He will tell you how good I am". It may be better to just make a list of references rather than a resume at all.

I may try that when the economy turns around.

He developed Helu pretty well, Burkhead, Kyler, and Cotten all seem to be developing nicely as well.

Agreed. But I'm still wondering if Watson's to blame... I mean, we have Helu who has a Nebraska record -- yet he gets only 9 carries? (Not that Rex wasn't doing horrible...). But seems to be a little inconsistent. Whether that's the players or coaches fault... and which coaches...

Worse is his complete disinterest in going for it on fourth down. All football coaches are a complete failure in this department, but Watson (and/or Pelini) are the worst. While it seems counterintuitive, you go for it MORE if your offense is struggling and your defense is not. I don't care who is punting. One of the biggest problems a struggling offense has are the trouble downs; 2nd-and-Ten, 3rd-and-long, etc.

So, once Nebraska passes their own 40, they should be in four down mode. Third down becomes nothing more than Second Down: Part II. It would make the quarterback - in this case, Green - feel much more comfortable and with the way Nebraska runs the ball, they shouldn't need for than three runs and a nominal pass to gain ten f'ing yards.

However, it will never happen. Punt in the traditional manner and lose; players fault. "Risk" it and go for it often; coaches fault. Sooner or later, there will be a coach that almost completely eschews punting for running an offensive play from scrimmage and he will change football as we know it.

I pray it is Watson.

It's often said that 4th downs (especially 4th and shorter) are high percentage enough to go for it every time.

IMO, it's all about expected value. It can be a 70% success and not be worth it if the expected value works out to be 0.7 * (Value of extending the drive) - 0.3 * (Value of giving the opponent great field position).

Even a great defense like ours, doesn't hold up if it is always on the field and if it is consistently put in bad situations. Part of the reason why the stats match reputation for them is reliant on the offense...not producing, but holding on to the damn ball and chewing clock, and pinning the other team deep. IMO, if we want the defense to play at as high a level as possible, then I can see the conservative aspect of 4th down come into play.

Bo is just a conservative guy, and really I agree with that. Sometimes minimizing risks means you lose ugly, but you bottom-line increase the chances of winning, which is the most important bottom line of them all.

It's often said that 4th downs (especially 4th and shorter) are high percentage enough to go for it every time.

IMO, it's all about expected value. It can be a 70% success and not be worth it if the expected value works out to be 0.7 * (Value of extending the drive) - 0.3 * (Value of giving the opponent great field position).

The problem is , (save against Washington & mizzou), we don't hold onto the ball and chew clock. We fumble, penalize, and 3and out ourselves. That is unless we are scoring really awesome 62yd td runs against kstate

Even a great defense like ours, doesn't hold up if it is always on the field and if it is consistently put in bad situations. Part of the reason why the stats match reputation for them is reliant on the offense...not producing, but holding on to the damn ball and chewing clock, and pinning the other team deep. IMO, if we want the defense to play at as high a level as possible, then I can see the conservative aspect of 4th down come into play.

Bo is just a conservative guy, and really I agree with that. Sometimes minimizing risks means you lose ugly, but you bottom-line increase the chances of winning, which is the most important bottom line of them all.

How many games against top 25 teams are we gonna be basically shut down. No touchdowns AGAIN. This falls on Watson. Time for you to go.

Didn't we beat Okie State and Mizzou with terrific offensive output? I agree we seem to be consistently inconsistent, but let's not ignore the successes just to make a point.

Reed and Cotton are TE's coached by the only consistent offensive coach. Helu and Burkhead I'll give you, but being a good RB is more instinctive than coaching. And out of his 4 years of being here you named 4 players, what about all those he didn't develop (Holt, Henry, Gillylen, Paul [at times], Lee, Washington, Mendoza, etc.). There are just too many guys,with potential, that have fallen through the cracks.

How come you didn't respond to the offense not costing us better bowl games?

Wats has had is time. We should not forsake another year because of an inept offense.

I applaud him for his contributions, but he needs to go.

Reed and Cotton are TE's coached by the only consistent offensive coach. Helu and Burkhead I'll give you, but being a good RB is more instinctive than coaching. And out of his 4 years of being here you named 4 players, what about all those he didn't develop (Holt, Henry, Gillylen, Paul [at times], Lee, Washington, Mendoza, etc.). There are just too many guys,with potential, that have fallen through the cracks.

How come you didn't respond to the offense not costing us better bowl games?

Wats has had is time. We should not forsake another year because of an inept offense.

I applaud him for his contributions, but he needs to go.

I personaly think that without the injuries, and considering the injuries that Lee developed well, Mendoza and Washington went through several position changes. Green gets a lot of flack but I have confidence he will develop well. That was just a few that I named there are still others that were under Wats that are having success at the next level, Slauson comes to mind.

If we do lose him, I'm afraid the whole program will take a giant leap backwards.